Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 10 Sep 2012, 11:44 (Ref:3133693)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
F1 2012

Can't seem to find a topic here so i'll do one

Anyone played the demo? Was released today for the Xbox 360.

Handling was a little too twitchy for my liking. Overall, looked/played very similar to 2011. Can't warrant buying it when I don't have a job

Opinions?

Selby
Old 10 Sep 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3133818)   #2
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good improvement on F1 2011.

FOV is wider = good

Actual feeling of understeer, as opposed to weird soft handling all the time = good

And I like how brutal KERS is when you deploy it

I might pick it up preowned at the start of next year, just to get me through the winter
Old 15 Sep 2012, 09:57 (Ref:3136244)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have to say it felt alright on the PC too, nowhgere near as good as a proper sim, but not bad, its great being able to use KERS and DRS.

Handling is alright without being great, and as above says definetly worth a shot as a cheapie title!
Old 15 Sep 2012, 17:16 (Ref:3136421)   #4
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Given it a good couple of hours on the XBox today and am impressed...very happy and will buy it.

Dowloading it for the PS3 now, but as usual with all things PS3 you have to give the machine 2 hours notice in writing before you can do anything.

45 Mins of Dlling PS3 updates and an hour of Dlling the Demo and it's still going...glad the XBox is not this crap...3 mins and it was good to go.

Perry McCarthy
Old 18 Sep 2012, 18:13 (Ref:3137967)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Seems solid, if not exactly much different to it's predecessors. There isn't really enough to warrant purchasing it on release day, but I probably will anyways knowing me.

Codemasters are gash in terms of developer support of their games though. I wish they'd have more DLC for them. Imagine some retro F1 seasons on DLC or something. Such a lazy developer these days.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 23:26 (Ref:3139356)   #6
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Seems solid, if not exactly much different to it's predecessors. There isn't really enough to warrant purchasing it on release day, but I probably will anyways knowing me.

Codemasters are gash in terms of developer support of their games though. I wish they'd have more DLC for them. Imagine some retro F1 seasons on DLC or something. Such a lazy developer these days.
Or instead of DLC just package it in with the first purchase. It surely isn't that much work? I'm a bit fed up of racing game DLC especially when the a couple of extra cars or tracks could have just been included in the original package.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 00:41 (Ref:3139378)   #7
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This game is light years ahead of F1 2010, the last installment that I bought. I never really enjoyed that game, but I love this one.

As has been said, when you kick in KERS or DRS during qualifying, it's brutal. You try to shave tenths off by opening it slightly earlier than last lap and find the rear end just lets go, hehe.

I also like that I feel I can chuck the car around a bit without it just feeling weird and then spinning out. I can control minor slides when I don't get it right, etc, which I could never do in 2010, and therefore never really felt like I could push it.

Great game, first F1 game in ages that actually leaves me smiling.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 06:39 (Ref:3139481)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Got to agree with Aussie, this is so much better

Not worth 30 quid yet, but am sure it will be cheap on Steam in a few weeks, but fair play to Codies they are sparing little in tryint to push it, ads on telly and many really popular sites too.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 07:17 (Ref:3139490)   #9
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
It's a nice looking game, but they seem to focus on adding gimmicks rather than making the base model better.

No sale.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 08:07 (Ref:3139507)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
Or instead of DLC just package it in with the first purchase. It surely isn't that much work? I'm a bit fed up of racing game DLC especially when the a couple of extra cars or tracks could have just been included in the original package.
If DLC is done right it can be great and justifies seperate release.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 06:10 (Ref:3139819)   #11
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Just seen a video of the gameplay on youtube. Having played the previous 2 versions a few times, i note that they still have the main issue that bugs me.

When you are accelerating, the engine revs wildly as the wheels spin. However, there is no effect/sensation of the wheels sliding, searching for grip. It just stays planted. So, the end effect i feel is that the clutch is slipping horrendously. When you have that out of EVERY corner, it rather detracts from the experience. It's almost as if the developers have tried to mimic the real world as closely as they can, without understanding what is actually happening.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3139891)   #12
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Just seen a video of the gameplay on youtube. Having played the previous 2 versions a few times, i note that they still have the main issue that bugs me.

When you are accelerating, the engine revs wildly as the wheels spin. However, there is no effect/sensation of the wheels sliding, searching for grip. It just stays planted. So, the end effect i feel is that the clutch is slipping horrendously. When you have that out of EVERY corner, it rather detracts from the experience. It's almost as if the developers have tried to mimic the real world as closely as they can, without understanding what is actually happening.
I must admit, I hated this alot in F1 2010. However, in F1 2012, I've been playing it for around 10 hours now, and I don't feel that same problem on the most part in the game. I can feel the car starting to get loose in the rear and can control slides very well when I overdo the throttle application. Especially in the wet, the car gives heaps more visual feedback consistent with the audio than previous games.

It means that I feel like I can push the car much harder than before (in F1 2010), where one moment you had it, the next it was in the wall, with very little feedback. The more I play it, the more I am liking this game. The mid-pack battles are great, and the whole dynamics of managing your sets of tires over the weekend through the practice sessions and managing clear track for qualy and fuel and kers and drs, all fun. Loving it.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 11:13 (Ref:3139922)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I have the game and will be completing it quickly so I can get a good resale value on it.

Not that amazing really.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 23:31 (Ref:3141143)   #14
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I've been having a good go of it on the PC.

Spent about an hour trying to set up my Xbox 360 wheel to it but i'm still not 100% happy. I find this game a little frustrating. I don't feel like i've got a real handle on when the car's going to do that annoying spin (you know, high revs, let go of the throttle a little and reapply slowly and bam, 180). I'm also a little annoyed you can't attack kerbs. I seem to have to lift completely off when riding them.

Looks pretty, but it really doesn't feel a whole world different to 2011 for me, personally.

AI is much improved, though.

Selby
Old 21 Oct 2012, 00:44 (Ref:3155112)   #15
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just opened it today. I don't know whether it's because I simultaneously had to return to playing with the control pad, but it felt floaty as if I wasn't in control of it. I've been using a cheapo wheel with F1 2011 until last week when it gave up the ghost. Maybe it's the comedown to a pad. It seems easier to get understeer when on the breaks and I noticed the KERS thing too. The jury's out for me but having the current season appeals to the geek in me, plus I can drive Austin.
Old 21 Oct 2012, 01:04 (Ref:3155119)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
What about wet weather? I have never played 2011, but have 2010. Is the handling affected more? This is the aspect of driving games that has always annoyed me: the rain comes but the handling isn't altered (or at least nothing like enough).
Old 21 Oct 2012, 06:28 (Ref:3155242)   #17
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
What about wet weather? I have never played 2011, but have 2010. Is the handling affected more? This is the aspect of driving games that has always annoyed me: the rain comes but the handling isn't altered (or at least nothing like enough).
Yeah massively, you have to be very careful with throttle and brake applications in the wet, and the car is far more likely to snap into oversteer or drift into understeer.

The only thing that is frustrating me is that if you get involved in an accident, you get penalised straight away, regardless of who was to blame.

Example 1: I braked into the hairpin before the long straight at Montreal, and an AI car dove up the inside of me with way too much speed and forced us both wide and off the track. I deadset took lock off the steering to try to avoid this missile and I got a drive through penalty for causing a collision.

Example 2: Leading at Silverstone finally, one lap to go. Come up to the corner at the end of the old start finish straight, I can see I am coming up to lap a HRT. The AI normally isn't too bad for getting out of your way, but he slows right down in the middle of the corner, on the racing line. I don't expect him to suddenly nearly stop, nor do it on the racing line, so I veer hard to avoid and clip the car. Drive through penalty. Total BS.

It's very frustrating like this sometimes, yet we still keep going back and racing our co-op championship.
Old 22 Oct 2012, 17:40 (Ref:3155967)   #18
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There seems to be a bit of a return to the 2010 handling model doesn't there? The 2011 cars were so responsive and (if you turned off tyre simulation anyway) so grippy it was almost arcadey at times even on legend. Am glad it seems a bit trickier this year but will take some getting used to, so easy just to 'over-turn' and lose grip.
Old 26 Nov 2012, 22:24 (Ref:3171894)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Ok guys, bought this in the Steam sale yesterday.

One massive, huge, gigantic issue.

I use a G25 and in the driver training it you have to do at the beginning it all feels fine, its why I bought it. It responds OK for a game liuke this, the FFB is fine.

In the actual game, the steering is so totally different, you cant change the lock, it takes almost a full turn to turn the wheel where in the driver training bit it feels perfectly normal?

I obviously used a custom setting, this was all still there, I didnt change a thing, yet as soon as I finished the driver training but, booted up the game again the steering lock felt about 40 times greater than it did before?

Any ideas as if I cant sort it I will literally never play it again and have wasted 15 quid!
Old 26 Nov 2012, 23:14 (Ref:3171931)   #20
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Ok guys, bought this in the Steam sale yesterday.

One massive, huge, gigantic issue.

I use a G25 and in the driver training it you have to do at the beginning it all feels fine, its why I bought it. It responds OK for a game liuke this, the FFB is fine.

In the actual game, the steering is so totally different, you cant change the lock, it takes almost a full turn to turn the wheel where in the driver training bit it feels perfectly normal?

I obviously used a custom setting, this was all still there, I didnt change a thing, yet as soon as I finished the driver training but, booted up the game again the steering lock felt about 40 times greater than it did before?

Any ideas as if I cant sort it I will literally never play it again and have wasted 15 quid!
I had this issue too. Just tune the wheel settings in the normal game and it will stay consistent from then on, and will save your preferences fine. I had to turn the sensitivities up to where I liked them. I just spent half an hour on a circuit until I had it tuned where I liked, then it's been like that ever since and it's been great.
Old 1 Dec 2012, 09:41 (Ref:3173854)   #21
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know what it is with the current F1 games, but they just aren't fun. I get 10 or so laps into a race and simply can't be bothered to continue the race. In comparison, I can easily complete a whole race distance on old PS1 games because they are so much more enjoyable.

I've barely played on F1 2012 since I bought it. I guess it's time to sell it...
Old 1 Dec 2012, 13:10 (Ref:3173891)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I am trying the championships for the first time, using an HRT!

First race on I think the second level up from whatever I got a 10th, secon race in Malaysia, we are goping well in the top 4 somehow then you get the news that its gonna rain.

So, I made my pitstop, put on options, and then at a few corners its really wet, the AI are going round doing the same laptimes, staggering grip in the wet on slicks!

This game has all the hallmarks to me of a game not QA tested at all, literally just released, even if you put on inters, you los so much time everywhere else that it isnt worth gambling, pathetic gameplay really and a total lack of QA testing sadly.

Very poor Codies in what otherwise is a decent game for a sort of sim, but they have made very little to PC'ize the game, its obviously meant to be played with a pad!
Old 6 Dec 2012, 23:40 (Ref:3175975)   #23
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Just found another beauty of a QA bug here.

Career at Canada, race is wet/dry. They suggest inters when shock horror every other car is on drys! Saying that youa re able to kleep up and make places.

Weather vhange a couple of times in race, and you end up about 10th, then sfter their stops (I am on inters so no stop remember) the trac gets wet, I am on the best tyres, setting massive sector times, when all of a sudden on the straight that I so far been able to keep them at bay on they start bombing past on DRS, when it is disabled due to weather!

Now obviously the DRS flap is not open, but you can tell its a DRS pass as they dont do it anywhere else and it is in the detection/DRS zone.

Also, I am on the right tyres, they are on slicks yet somehow manage to keep up! I suspect they are actually on weat tyres that are simply not painted right, or they change as the weather changes to keep you honest.

The weather system doesnt TALK AT ALL to the game and code, DRS passes when DRS is banned, tyres that work in every condition no matter what colour they are, me setting green sectors and fastest laps yet getting mullered lap after lap.

Utter garbage and all the signs of a rushed and barely QA tested game I am afraid.

And the worst part? Their sweatshop will already be doing 2013 so no more patches I suspect, so all this tripe will just still be there!
Old 9 Dec 2012, 12:38 (Ref:3176776)   #24
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DRS is dependent on what tyres you're using, not what the weather is like.

If you're on slicks, you can use DRS.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 20:38 (Ref:3177281)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sounds like a bunch of mis-spelled freshwater fish to me.........