Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Apr 2002, 19:22 (Ref:268742)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Massive changes at Jordan

The Jordan Formula One team has cut its staff by 15 percent, including its managing director, head of engineering and chief operating officer...

http://sports.excite.com/news/04232002/v3631.html
Old 23 Apr 2002, 19:45 (Ref:268757)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmmmm, not sure these are neccesarily the right changes - removing those senior positions surely makes EJ sole decision maker, and its fair to say that part of the predicament they are in is down to some of EJ's questionable decisions from last year.

I think grasping at straws is in evidence. The next Prost?
Old 23 Apr 2002, 20:10 (Ref:268792)   #3
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trevor Foster gone!!!

Trevor Foster gone, that is a shock......and no mention of Hamidy at all.....money wasted with no input for the team at all....a shame.
Old 24 Apr 2002, 11:43 (Ref:269273)   #4
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trevor Foster can be thought of as a voluntary redundancy. He's been wanting to go for a while now.
Old 24 Apr 2002, 11:51 (Ref:269284)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This can mean two things.

One, Eddie has gone completely mad by getting rid of these experienced people who are in charge of quite important details and will soon pay for it.

OR

Two, EJ is preparing to bring in some cheap, raw talent and will also shoulder some more responsibility while trying to surround Anderson with the best men possible to design a better car.

Whatever EJ is trying to do, these are some radical changes and a workforce of only 200 would have to make him one of the smallest, if not the smallest, team on the grid now.
Old 24 Apr 2002, 12:00 (Ref:269291)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thing are looking serious . How will Honda feel being a accociated with a team that looks like their in trouble ?
Old 24 Apr 2002, 12:18 (Ref:269305)   #7
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
Thing are looking serious . How will Honda feel being a accociated with a team that looks like their in trouble ?
Well Honda won't want their buddy Sato driving for them so it looks like Honda may be forcing BAR to have him since they are the only other team to have honda's
Old 24 Apr 2002, 12:40 (Ref:269331)   #8
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I don't think this is creative restructuring - I think the down slide is gaining momentum.

This appears to be another slow collapse occuring before our eyes. F1 sponsorship and backing is so fickle and unforgiving so they had better look out.

I'm not a Jordan fan - but this is sad stuff.
Old 24 Apr 2002, 13:14 (Ref:269380)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
out of interest , i remember Eddie sold a percentage of the team about 2 years ago . How much of the team did he sell ?
Old 24 Apr 2002, 13:20 (Ref:269383)   #10
ParkLife
Racer

Quote:
How can you say that when they've been partnered with BAR for the last three years!!
Old 24 Apr 2002, 14:13 (Ref:269402)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
but BAR have always had money ....Jordan havent been as flush with money as BAR have . thats what i was on about , i wasnt on about their performance , i was on about the financial side .
Old 24 Apr 2002, 14:16 (Ref:269405)   #12
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
out of interest , i remember Eddie sold a percentage of the team about 2 years ago . How much of the team did he sell ?

40%
Old 24 Apr 2002, 14:53 (Ref:269445)   #13
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thanks Calais
Old 24 Apr 2002, 14:58 (Ref:269447)   #14
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still, these changes are sweeping and smack of slight panic. BAR did the same thing and, despite of all the talk by Jacques about how great Richards is and how the clearout was necessary, the changes haven't really been translated onto the track yet.

Now don't get me wrong, the changes at BAR and Jordan are ofcourse with the long-term in mind. However, what they both need right now is short term fixes. And in my view that can only really come from the direction of Honda. Short-term fixes may not work as part of a long-term strategy, but kudos is important on the F1 grid and both teams are losing it fast. OK, di BAR ever have it?? Proabably not, but Jordan have spent years trying to get their team into the big-league and into the position as being "best of the rest". That title is slipping fast.
Old 24 Apr 2002, 15:23 (Ref:269474)   #15
calais
Veteran

when you have most other teams going through expansion, whilst you are having to lay off staff because of a lack of funds, there is something fundementally wrong with the way the team is being run.
eddie to me doesnt seem to look too much into the future, and seems to base a lot of his decisions on the present {although he would like us to believe otherwise}and this philosophy will eventually lead to his teams downfall.
he seems to be hiring and firing with a lot of regularity
Old 24 Apr 2002, 15:34 (Ref:269482)   #16
ParkLife
Racer

If you look at Jordans past (right from their entry into F1 in 91) they have not had much continuity. Ther have always had engine manufactuere changes etc. EXCEPT for when they had Mugen for a couple of years, and look what happened then!

I think Jordan simple need to stablise with regards to staff / budget / Engine / drivers. Once that happens I think it will all start going right for them again. Clearly the team has been very destablised as of late, and I think it's showing.

My personal feelings of Honda is that if they are not commited 100% to Jordan then Jordan would be better off without them. With Mugen, Jordan knew exactly where they were at all times. Honda seem to be much more volatile and are I believe destablising Jordan from within.
Old 24 Apr 2002, 22:15 (Ref:269871)   #17
ParkLife
Racer

And they've just announced that Hamidy has left too.

I think this just compounds my previous post. Stability is what they need, and perhaps EJ agrees and is removing all of the people in one clean sweep, so this period of stability can start ASAP.

Anderson and the Jordan design team pulled a cracker with the J199 so lets see if they can now do it again in 2003 or more likely 2004. Question is, what engine will be in the car?
Old 24 Apr 2002, 22:20 (Ref:269875)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Big question is... can they even make it to 2004, or even 2003, without getting finishes and points? All attention must be focussed on race management and reliabilty at this shakey time - they need to put something in the bank before sponsors start losing faith. Many people have said that Sato won't last more than a season (which I disagree with) but the question mark must be over Fisichella - will he even want to be there next year?
Old 24 Apr 2002, 22:44 (Ref:269887)   #19
ParkLife
Racer

They've survived worse. If they managed to get through 1992 (what EJ has stated as the worst year of his life by far) then I'm pretty sure they can manage now. I do believe the Jordan financial crisis is being somewhat over exagerated.
Old 24 Apr 2002, 22:57 (Ref:269890)   #20
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan said from very early on that they would be restructuring the company. In fact there was a company hired to help with the decision making. This is not a sudden thing. Some people still think that Sato is a factor. Maybe if he was more competitive I could understand the arguement. Right now he does not seem to be that special. People still think Honda would rather lose with Sato than win with someone else. I dont get it! That is just plain DUM, no B just DUM! There is no short term solution for being slow. None! If that was the case Minardi would at least be a midfielder. Jordan needs a good car and Honda needs a good motor. Apparrently both BAR and Jordan saw that they were spending too much money and getting nothing in return from their workers. We seem to oversimplify things. It does not make us look too intelligent. I can see all the Honda execs. saying "we dont care if we are wasting 200 million a year, as long a someone japanese is driving for us". Maybe Toyota is saying "we will wait to see what Honda does first so then we can copy them, like we do at everything else". That might explain the shortage of Japanese people on their team. BAR wants to win, Jordan wants to win and Honda wants to win. That is why they are in racing, not for political games. We are implying that Honda will stake their ruputation and their future in F1 on the shoulders of a rookie. How sick would that be. Jordan did what they said they would do at the end of last season. It is not just to save money it is for efficiency!
Old 25 Apr 2002, 00:31 (Ref:269926)   #21
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One mistake I believe people are making here is that the primary motive behind these moves is money. It's not. It's about performance.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 00:49 (Ref:269939)   #22
calais
Veteran

tristan, no one downsizes their workforce if there is not money, or lack of, involved.why has he also stopped the expansion of his factory?????
Old 25 Apr 2002, 01:07 (Ref:269948)   #23
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If one can get similar or better results with less people then why keep them all. EJ would not let people go if he did not feel that they were more of liability than an asset. Yeah it does save money but the most important thing is efficiency, getting the most while spending the least in time, effort and money.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 10:08 (Ref:270189)   #24
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan has always performed at their best when they were a lean, mean company. I think EJ is getting back to this where he expects the employees to work long hours because they are committed to the team and winning. Whats the point in have an extra 40 people if those 40 treat their job just as a job? Come in at 9, go home at 5. I'll bet that the people left are the people that really want to see the team win.

As with most companies that have downsized over the recent months, it doesn't necessarily mean that productivity slows down. Really its just a matter of having consultants look at the company from the outside and see how they can optimise work practices. This will lead to cutting out luxuries (and nice to haves) and will also allow the company to spend the saved money in other areas.

Back to the slump that they seem to be in. Remember that Jordan have not scored point in the last 4 GPs. Well take a look at this:

McLaren 1995 - 5 races without scoring a point
Williams 2001 - first 4 races without scoring a point

And these are bigger (better) teams. Lets not Jordan off yet.
Old 25 Apr 2002, 10:17 (Ref:270192)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reading about Hamidy's eventual departure was not great shock, was it?!?!

Realistically, this season is already a write off for Jordan unless they dramatically improve their car, and Honda pull something out of the bad, because frankly, they have looked dire since the first practice session in Australia.

Although they won't just simply abandon this year (that won't go down too well with drivers or sponsors) a lot of effort will probably already be going into next years car. And with Anderson now back, perhaps they will go back to simpler designs. Neat and efficient, nothing too radical and something guaranteed to score points and podiums.