Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jan 2004, 10:45 (Ref:837706)   #1
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anthony Davidson

I was reading on the ITV F1 forum that Anthony Davidson is hoping for a race seat in 2005 after securing a test role at BAR.

I was wondering just how good this guy really is ? I've not really followed his career but it seemed as though he was out of his depth when he drove the minardi in a race.

I know it must be difficult in a Minardi but it seemed as though he was to cautious and courteous when he was being lapped.

I would like for him to get a drive in F1 just as much as Justin Wilson as it's 2 more british drivers to cheer on!

Any thoughts and opinions ?

Tiptop
Old 14 Jan 2004, 10:59 (Ref:837722)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think the Minardi drives are anything to go by. Although I think he was pretty good speed wise, but a finish would have helped.

He seems to be rated by BAR as a tester. Up there with the race drivers in testing. Although it is always difficult to judge due to different testing programs.

I'm not too optimistic about his race seat chances. We'll see...

(off topic, but I am sorry he is not entering more sportscar races, I think he could have become an establish driver there).
Old 14 Jan 2004, 11:03 (Ref:837724)   #3
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I can tell you is that I was at pretty much every race that Ant did in FF and F3 and he's good.

Don't take my word for it, go and take a look at the CV on Ant's website

I got to know him and his family during his F3 season and while I'll admit that it took me a while to warm to him (he sort of has this way of 'getting under your skin' and suddenly he's there in your affections!) I can say they are a genuinely nice bunch of people who know an awful lot about racing.

As for the Minardi thing, anyone would have struggled being thrown in at the deep end, but all things considered, he did ok.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 11:08 (Ref:837732)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with Adam, those two Minardi drive's were a bit last minute - he was the closest team mate Webber has had (IIRC). A finish would have been good, but he was always pushing to stay in touch with faster cars and Hungary is notoriusly slippery, with only one 'line' around it, off line it is tricky.

He was quick in the Ferrari sports car and would have a good career there for sure.

Plenty of F1 musical chairs coming up for 2005, but I don't see him in real contention for a race seat unless something dramatic happens.

However, if Button does go to William's it would leave a seat at BAR, and both Honda and BAR rate Ant highly, so a possibilty, but reliant other factors outside his control.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 12:05 (Ref:837775)   #5
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rate him, he was great in F3 (see my older F3 thread on Honda pushing Sato and Davidson still kept him honest) He was quick in a Minardi, he is a nice guy and has personality (rare) The fact that he is unwilling to raise fund to get into F1 (I am sure he could have had a Jordan or Minardi Seat if he really wanted it) and the fact that BAR fund/pay him to be a tester shows how good he is, and how aware of how good he/people are.

I think he'll get a race seat in 2006.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 12:25 (Ref:837793)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Anthony Davidson

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiptop
I was reading on the ITV F1 forum that Anthony Davidson is hoping for a race seat in 2005 after securing a test role at BAR.

I was wondering just how good this guy really is ? I've not really followed his career but it seemed as though he was out of his depth when he drove the minardi in a race.

I know it must be difficult in a Minardi but it seemed as though he was to cautious and courteous when he was being lapped.

I would like for him to get a drive in F1 just as much as Justin Wilson as it's 2 more british drivers to cheer on!

Any thoughts and opinions ?

Tiptop
I guess one of our forum members, High Contrast, would have a say about Ant.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 12:46 (Ref:837824)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Dispite his 2 silly spins in the Minardi in 2002, he has got closer to Mark Webber than any other driver in Webbers time in F1, and Webber is regarded as one of the best for the future.

If Jenson was to go to Williams, BAR could do alot worse than promote Ant to race driver.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 16:38 (Ref:838146)   #8
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Anthony Davidson is very good indeed....I think he has got more chance of doing something special than Justin Wilson , even though i rate Justin very high .

I watched him in Formula Ford , He won in Kent County Formula Ford after he left Karting , Won the Formula Ford Festival the follwing year in a thrilling final with great defensive driving and handled the pressure he was being put under superbly .....
(that reminds me , i must dig that Formula Ford festival video out and watch it again soon ....the Festival was just superb that year ! ) ...
He pushed Sato hard at Carlin the year after in his debut year in British F3 , Won a few International F3 races including Pau then took the bold move to stand down as a race driver and concentrate on a F1 testing contract .
He could have had a good chance of having the Minardi seat last year , but didnt want to be a pay driver , he wants to be paid to drive in F1 , and i think in the long term he will get the real chance he deserves ...

A very good driver IMO .

Last edited by Sato san; 14 Jan 2004 at 16:46.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 16:42 (Ref:838152)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not too sure about this Davidson fella. I watched him when he was team mate to Takuma Sato in F3 and he impressed me mightily.

However his Minardi drives were strange. he seemed too cautious during the races and lost time hand over fist when getting lapped. But on the positive side he qualified the Minardi as easily as it is possible to do so.....something Alex Yoong never could manage without drama.

I think he could be a real success. On the other hand I feel he could also end up as a bloody test-driver all his life!!!

Last edited by Knowlesy; 14 Jan 2004 at 16:43.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 17:18 (Ref:838201)   #10
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Dispite his 2 silly spins in the Minardi in 2002, he has got closer to Mark Webber than any other driver in Webbers time in F1, and Webber is regarded as one of the best for the future.

If Jenson was to go to Williams, BAR could do alot worse than promote Ant to race driver.
The thing I liked about AD was the fact he really pushed it. Sure he spun but you could see he was giving everything he had in a situation he had little time to prepare for. He may of spun but they where his first two races and it's not like he put it into the wall in every session
Old 14 Jan 2004, 18:34 (Ref:838287)   #11
fiona
Racer

Scotland
west lothian
fiona should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think he could make the grade in f1 if given the chance in a decent car, maybe he seems to think that taking the test drive may lead to the race seat assuming button goes back to williams in 05
Old 14 Jan 2004, 20:23 (Ref:838388)   #12
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by fiona
maybe he seems to think that taking the test drive may lead to the race seat assuming button goes back to williams in 05
So Sato and Davidson would be team mates again , just like 2001 at Carlin Motorsport..

I would love to see that line up if Jense ever went to Williams .
Old 15 Jan 2004, 10:46 (Ref:839067)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe we could entice Anthony's dad back onto the forum? He had some very good points to make and insight the last time he was here.

Rennen where are you?
Old 15 Jan 2004, 11:46 (Ref:839132)   #14
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think Antony Davidson is a good enough driver, his time in Sportscars would've given him more experience, i doubt he'd be so cautious now.

Antony Davidson for BAR when button goes to Williams!
Old 15 Jan 2004, 14:12 (Ref:839252)   #15
jawa
Racer

jawa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the most under-rated drivers inthe world. He's won in pretty much everything he's driven and he's a good bloke too.
To many people judge him negatively on those Minardi outings. The guy needs to be F1 for sure
Old 15 Jan 2004, 15:17 (Ref:839301)   #16
darcym
Veteran

I thought his Minardi debut was quite respectable, ok he spun out of both races, but he kept the pace of the car constant, with no testing, little/no experience of the tracks, a quick team mate, and lot of pressure. He did a good job, and came across to the viewers as a nice guy, funny, professional with a personality. I remember him thankinf the the BRDC, how many other Grandpri drivers have a patch on their race suit or take time to thank the clubs that help got them there. I can only think of Irvine doing the same.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 15:26 (Ref:839306)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I may be wrong but wasn't he told to 'push' the Minardi by Stoddy shortly before he had his 'off'?
Old 15 Jan 2004, 16:05 (Ref:839344)   #18
darcym
Veteran

quite possibly.

Either way I thought his F1 drives where very respectable, and he handled himself well. His lower Formula stuff is pretty impressive so give him an F1 drive and stop bowing to Honda like EJ did, look where it got him. Out Sato - in Davidson
Old 15 Jan 2004, 22:07 (Ref:839671)   #19
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by darcym
Out Sato - in Davidson
Hey , steady on !..

Ant is very fast , does anyone remember that he tested a Champ Car over at Elkhart Lake in 2002 and the Americans were stunned at the speed he showed . He couldnt take the race drive for other reasons , but his speed was there in immediatley in a new type of car and circuit to what he had been used to .

That shows class.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 15:58 (Ref:840560)   #20
darcym
Veteran

all the more reason, SATO OUT DAVO IN !
Old 16 Jan 2004, 18:23 (Ref:840716)   #21
F3lollipops
Racer

United Kingdom
Lollipop Land
F3lollipops should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suddenly the anti-Taku stuff is starting again.

Give the guy a break, he has earned his place in an F1 race drive.
Old 16 Jan 2004, 18:34 (Ref:840726)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, leave the guy alone. He will surprise you this year, just you wait!
Old 16 Jan 2004, 19:59 (Ref:840821)   #23
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Well said !...Well , im very Pro Taku ( obviously ) and Pro Anthony Davidson as well. They both are very good indeed .
Old 17 Jan 2004, 00:13 (Ref:841089)   #24
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Got so carried away with all that old karting stuff...forgot to make the wet test Jerez point..that's what happens when you get near to OAP status! doh!

Anthony was 5th quickest in full wet conditions, with a best time of 1.27.78 to match Sato on the same spec tyre.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 00:49 (Ref:841114)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rennen, post removed. I can't inform you of the details because PM and email turned off.

Last edited by Adam43; 17 Jan 2004 at 00:52.