fordtc87
Rookie

United States
Indianapolis, IN
fordtc87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault to run new car this week at Barcelona

Just looking through the F1 sites and got this article on the Barcelona testing

http://www.formula1.com/magazine/news/1168.html

Claims we should see the new Renault before its Jan. 29th launch. Looking forward to see what they came up with.

Last edited by fordtc87; 20 Jan 2004 at 02:22.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 08:20 (Ref:843638)   #2
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, The R24 will debut today in Barcelona.

http://www.renaultf1.com/en/experien...s/p_14763.html
Old 20 Jan 2004, 12:01 (Ref:843904)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
R24 on track

They are testing the new car right now - looks a bit untidy at first glance, compared to their rather neat car of last year. All the features wil be there for good purpose of course, but check this angle:
Attached Thumbnails
r24.jpg  
Old 20 Jan 2004, 12:03 (Ref:843909)   #4
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go to f1-live.com to see some of the pictures.

The sidepods look like a copy of the F2003-GA, whilst the nose has been made to not so aggressively drop off, and it seems to go in a wierd shape on the point, making it go a bit straighter.

Odd looking thing, but it looks efficient and a reasonable step....but then again, Williams and McLaren have made far bigger steps.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 12:04 (Ref:843912)   #5
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think those side pods might be the smallest we've seen yet...
Old 20 Jan 2004, 12:25 (Ref:843931)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not so beautiful as the last year...
Old 20 Jan 2004, 12:31 (Ref:843936)   #7
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it does look a little untidy - especially the side - but the lap times may be tidy
Old 20 Jan 2004, 12:32 (Ref:843937)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sidepods are very Ferrari-esque in many ways - curvy and very low and narrow to the rear. They also have gill-like venting รก la F2003-GA, but it is on the upper surface and not visible from this angle.

Extra height of the new engine is quite apparent in other pictures, and also the engine doesn't seem as puched forward as in the Williams and McLaren designs, although that could just be different shaped exhausts tricking the eye.

Rear wing is quite interesting too.

It has a bit of a mutant monster look - actually quite "big" looking, but that could just be the new airbox regulations.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 12:34 (Ref:843938)   #9
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the sidepods are very strange, especially with the larger engine cover.
The nose is pretty standard but theres something tricky going on with the rear wing.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 12:40 (Ref:843947)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remains single keel
Old 20 Jan 2004, 12:59 (Ref:843971)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Renault was ahead of schedule so they decided to get it out on track.

The air box looks horrible.

Everything looks like it is designed because of the current rules not because that what the quickest car possible look like! (this is not a critisism of Renault).
Old 20 Jan 2004, 13:03 (Ref:843980)   #12
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still think the MP4-19 sidepods are smaller though
Old 20 Jan 2004, 13:07 (Ref:843989)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Will someone ban winglets?!

It seems a lot has gone into the funnel shape (on the side pod). It looks like it could also be acting as turning vanes for the rear of the car (rear wing?). http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/200.../diapo_180.jpg

Last edited by Adam43; 20 Jan 2004 at 13:10.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 13:09 (Ref:843992)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Overall I like the teardrop shape of the sidepods now: http://f1.racing-live.com/photos/200.../diapo_189.jpg
Old 20 Jan 2004, 15:40 (Ref:844175)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's an incredibly sexy car! Curves in all the right places, I feel.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 15:56 (Ref:844199)   #16
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is ugly, but that doesn't mean it won't be effective. This year is turning out to be an interesting one in terms of different teams going in different design directions. It seems at odds with the arguements people have made that the rules are too tight and would lead to all cars being similar...
Old 20 Jan 2004, 16:09 (Ref:844218)   #17
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well that car looks good, and thoose side pods are tiny, the amount of bodywork behind the radiators must be minimal. I expect tats why they have the funnels to aid heat extraction.

Also this link give good pics of the car.
Reggie R24

Looks like the rear wing is shapped to help speed up the airflow under the wing elements, although I can't be sure.
Deffiently, the rear-end treatment is the most interesting thing about this car, the front looks pretty conventional. I reckon the driver is sitting fairly far forward, as that engine cover is a lot longer on the top than previous '04 cars we've seen. I can't remember how this adjusts the weight bias though....:confused:
I Like it (and I'm getting used to the larger rear wing endplates, begining to prefer them even )

Regards
Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 20 Jan 2004 at 16:11.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 17:55 (Ref:844317)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That rear wing is certainly unique!

Is it just me, or are sidepod winglets getting a bit too big now?

And as for the shape of the airbox/engine cover......
Old 20 Jan 2004, 21:11 (Ref:844556)   #19
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These curved/teardrop shaped sidepod designs all spawn for the brainwave the ferrari boffins came up with severel years ago.

Until recently wind tunnels only blew straight into the path of models and simulated downforce in a straight line. But ofcourse f1 cars don't really need downforce in a straight line, it needs it in the corners, where the air is hitting the car from the side. Thus designers are now simulating airflow on the sides of the cars
Old 21 Jan 2004, 00:48 (Ref:844834)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95

Until recently wind tunnels only blew straight into the path of models and simulated downforce in a straight line. But ofcourse f1 cars don't really need downforce in a straight line, it needs it in the corners, where the air is hitting the car from the side. Thus designers are now simulating airflow on the sides of the cars
Doh! How long did it take them to think of that?

I thought of that years ago...
Old 21 Jan 2004, 02:16 (Ref:844889)   #21
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
their is one pic on F1.live with the new car with a alot of smoke coming from under the engine cal

Last edited by Mark Webber; 21 Jan 2004 at 02:17.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 02:21 (Ref:844893)   #22
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thise side pod are so crazy and organic so flowing.
but the front winglet on the sidepods are goofy, and what is with the Stepped side plate on the rear wing? who would've seen that coming?
noticed they have high exhaust housing like toyota. and that rear fin on the airbox- ugh, soon they'll be like IRL airboxes getting so big.
and the noses are coming down again, soon the renault will have a nose like a Champcar
Old 21 Jan 2004, 03:01 (Ref:844918)   #23
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
But ofcourse f1 cars don't really need downforce in a straight line, it needs it in the corners
Agree with this part, but

Quote:
it needs it in the corners, where the air is hitting the car from the side.
Umm, you've lost me. Even going through a corner, the car is still moving forward. The only time air would be 'rushing it from the side' is if the car was traveling sideways (ie, a slide).

As much as I would like to see more of this, I dont really think they are taking the speed of the car travelling sideways too seriously (Sato's car mught benefit though ).
Old 21 Jan 2004, 03:24 (Ref:844926)   #24
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO, so far only the Mac has gotten it right in the looks dept. The new car came out today for the "first" time and ran in the middle of the pack. Not bad for a first run. I am not able to look at a car and speculate about its performance so I wont comment on what I think it will do.

Last years car looked better.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 08:07 (Ref:845094)   #25
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrex, I belive alesi95 is talking about yaw conditions, where the airflow isn't coming from directly ahead, but at an angle. most windtunnels can do this now by rotating the floor at an angle to the airflow, so they can simulate how well the car performs round turns.
Perfect inidation of this is 1995, when mac ran the (horendos looking) mid wing. It wasn't found out until later in the seaon that the tall engine cover was blocking airflow to the rear wing during yaw conditions, hence why it was removed and replaced with a normal cover.

to be honest, I just can't belive all the innovative stuff we're seeing this year, who said F1 cars looked all the same! Although i seriously wonder how much smaller the sidepods can be made....