Old 11 Nov 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3330061)   #751
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
The level is too high these days! I don't even know where to begin!
Haha, you know what's too high? BTB's hardware requirements, apparently... I should have been ready with my latest track about a month ago - but BTB has been acting up again... I guess it's really time to upgrade my Windows to 64 bit...

bio
Old 29 Jan 2014, 11:29 (Ref:3361555)   #752
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Been a long time.

I've been unusually busy at my work lately, and also, BTB has been quite unkind to me, acting like a jerk and totally prohitibiting the completion of my "latest" project (it months ago I gave up the hopeless fight, actually). All these factors kept me from creating new tracks for quite a long time. But, since I've been asked to participate in a project, I thought I'd dust off BTB and give it one more chance. I dug up one of my older, unfinished projects to complete it, thus shaking the rust off my BTB-skills.

Eventually, I had to give up my original plan of completing the project to the degree I usually do, but I had time to reach a degree of "completeness" that is at least presentable here.

The project has a history, since it's (once again...) the rejuvenation of one of my old classics, a track of Perth, Australia. I published the original track here in this thread back in 2008, 6 years ago almost to the day. It looked like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Perth original layout.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	41962

Revisiting it I had to realize that, in spite of the rather positive feedback I got here, it's not as bright a track as I thought it would be back then. You see, it was in the Stone Age, when I didn't yet have any way to put my tracks in racing simulation software and actually test them - I could only imagine driving on them. And here I obviously made a lousy job of imagining it. When i revisited the track some time last year and drove it in rFactor, i had to realize that there are lots of issues with the track. For starters, there were hardly any overtaking opportunities. It had one longer flat-out section, and that had a slight turn in the middle. also, the S/F straight was way, way too short, and was preceeded by a very tight corner... Last, but not least, the elevation scheme didn't really work either.

So, I decided to revamp the track. I added some speed, some overtaking spots and modify the elevation scheme. that's what i came up with:

Name:	Perth new layout.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	41963

As you can see, there were four major modifications:

- I chopped off some of the curviness at the end of the first sector (left hand edge of the track);
- I included a new "stadium-like" infield section;
- I took the advice I got here back in 2008, and replaced the long, winding serpent-like section behind the top turnback with a straight (which thus becomes the longest straight of the track);
- I replaced the last, very tight corner with a new section that lengthened both the long flat-out section before it and the S/F "straight" after it.

I'm aware that there still are issues left. The gravel trap at the end of the long back straight is definitely too small, and the pit exit isn't really brilliant either. I had the intention to correct those, but really don't have the time. Maybe in another 6 years

Here's the wikipedia-style map:

Name:	Perth new wiki.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	41964

And finally, the usual demo-video - a three lap quickie with three different camera angles.

Enjoy.

bio

PS: BTW, is there any way of inserting a YouTube video directly, not only a link pointing to it?

Last edited by bio; 29 Jan 2014 at 11:49.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 00:18 (Ref:3361914)   #753
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A tad quiet over here lately, huh?

I wasn't involved in all this stuff back in 2008 so I hadn't known the original, but from what I can see I like the improvements. A pretty brave decision to put such a fast kink after such a long straight, followed by those flat-out snaking turns, very exciting stuff indeed! (I'd agree that it would be preferable to have a bit more room for error at the end of the straight )

When watching the video I got the impression that everything seemed a bit oversized, but then I realised that I simply wasn't used to looking at circuits with mega straights and long track lengths, usually the circuits I design are on a smaller scale, with more of a British/club kinda feel.

Maybe some more stuff soon?
Old 30 Jan 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3362048)   #754
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Thx, buddy

I really don't know how often I'll post new stuff here. BTB really went too far and I really was in the verge of uninstalling it for good a couple of months ago. I didn't - as you can see - but it really took a lot of fun away. Also, luckily, I have a lot of work nowadays (luckily, because I'm a freelancer, so, the more i work the more I earn) that takes most of my day's time (working home I don't really have a "work" part of my day and a "free time" part when I have a lot to work). Last, but not least, I definitely feel the drawbacks of getting so deep in this track design business: back then, when I just drew a line and was happy with it, it was all fun and games. But now, it doesn't matter how great a trackline I find, all I can see is a chain of imperfections, and why each section wouldn't work Right now I have a trackline I liked too much just to throw it away, so I kept refining it for months now, which will be closer to a year real soon. It received countless little tweaks and facelifts in the process - and what do I have now? a track that I like a lot less than the original idea, still it has some of its inherent issues... I guess that's why I started reaching back to my old tracks (I had that reworked version of my old Belém track a few months back) - at least they were original

The next project I'll be working on will be a kind of cooperation I've been asked to participate in. after that... dunno, I may force myself to do a brand new one

bio
Old 31 Jan 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3362444)   #755
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's still a ginger! Even after ther redesign. I like that.

However, I feel the infield stadium section should be smaller because Turn 19 looks like it has a serious runoff problem.

Thank you bio for keeping this board alive.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3362495)   #756
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
It's still a ginger! Even after ther redesign. I like that.

However, I feel the infield stadium section should be smaller because Turn 19 looks like it has a serious runoff problem.
Yeah, T19 is definitely a stinker. That was one of the things I meant to modify, just didn't have the time The problem is that the infield section doesn't really work if it's shorter. My idea was to move T19 to the left - but that would make it a much tighter turn, therefore ruining the perfect flow of the section T18-24. I guess moving T19 to the left a bit PLUS upwards a little would be the best compromise. That way I could leave the stadium section intact.

bio
Old 1 Feb 2014, 21:53 (Ref:3363025)   #757
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio View Post
Yeah, T19 is definitely a stinker. That was one of the things I meant to modify, just didn't have the time The problem is that the infield section doesn't really work if it's shorter. My idea was to move T19 to the left - but that would make it a much tighter turn, therefore ruining the perfect flow of the section T18-24. I guess moving T19 to the left a bit PLUS upwards a little would be the best compromise. That way I could leave the stadium section intact.

bio
I'd solve it differently. Lengthen 18, then loosen 19 and 24. It's a slightly odd config, but it's solve the run-off without eliminating too much of the flow.

Or change the direction. Just like old times.
Old 2 Feb 2014, 02:40 (Ref:3363109)   #758
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathrim View Post
Oi that's my job to suggest that ... Might even have done with the original. Way back when
Old 2 Feb 2014, 10:18 (Ref:3363186)   #759
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathrim View Post
I'd solve it differently. Lengthen 18, then loosen 19 and 24. It's a slightly odd config, but it's solve the run-off without eliminating too much of the flow.

Yeah, there are ways to fix that issue - I just didn't have the time to redesign it in BTB.

bio
Old 2 Feb 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3363260)   #760
The IC
Racer

Australia
The IC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would another option be to move the stadium area closer to where turns 7,8 and 9 are and reorient it a bit instead? seeing as 18 thru 24 are meant to be flowing curves which you want to keep, would losing 7,8 and 9 which are also flowing curves be much of an issue?
Old 2 Feb 2014, 23:38 (Ref:3363433)   #761
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Quote:
Originally Posted by The IC View Post
would another option be to move the stadium area closer to where turns 7,8 and 9 are and reorient it a bit instead? seeing as 18 thru 24 are meant to be flowing curves which you want to keep, would losing 7,8 and 9 which are also flowing curves be much of an issue?
The only problem with it would be that the stadium section was inserted to make one more longer flatout section, with a potential TO-spot at the end. Shortening it would take away exactly that.

On the other hand, it would certainly solve the runoff issue

bio
Old 13 Jun 2014, 01:59 (Ref:3419719)   #762
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice track!

I also immediately noted the t19 problem but I would take a simpler approach and just eliminate 19 altogether and connect 18 straight to 20, you will see you have more run off and eliminated the possibility of a track re-entry on extreme circumstances
Old 17 Jun 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3422925)   #763
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
Nice track!

I also immediately noted the t19 problem but I would take a simpler approach and just eliminate 19 altogether and connect 18 straight to 20, you will see you have more run off and eliminated the possibility of a track re-entry on extreme circumstances
I like that suggestion, Luiggi! Thank you. Here's hoping bio likes it, too.
Old 27 Jun 2014, 08:04 (Ref:3427050)   #764
kerb
Racer

Australia
canberra
kerb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just one problem, and its called Barbagello raceway is in that vicinity. despite what was said on page 7 its still running the v8's. but Qld is looking bare of permanent tracks. I suggest between Rockhampton and Cairns.