Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 22 Feb 2011, 01:42 (Ref:2834991)   #51
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would at least add two little jumpers just to have those options and not touching your circuit almost at all...
Attached Thumbnails
Feb 4.png  
Old 28 Feb 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2837864)   #52
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
This reminds me a lot of the A1 ring but don't take that as a criticism.
I liked the A1 ring!

And I like this one too. It would be a fast circuit (long version) with a premium on high speed handling but theres nothing wrong with that. i don't mind having the club circuit incorporated with the design but logisitically (in principle) I can't see the point of having the alternative operated to the exclusion of the long circuit.

You would have one circuit and a short version for club racing or a way in which both could be used at the same time (eg. and alternative test on one and a track day on the other. If one was suited to bikes and the other to cars that might be a justification but I can't see why you would do (from a practical point of view) what you have here.. But I still like the layout. Its great.
Old 6 Mar 2011, 00:41 (Ref:2840849)   #53
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Feb 5 has morphed into March 1. Just not enough hours in the day to accommodate sleep as well as doing circuit design.

Here it is...
Top view of the finished entire circuit first

The original Layout of this circuit can be seen in the second image.

In a bid to redevelop the circuit, a short circuit was added together with the chicane breaking up the long back straight.

It was the second phase of the redevelopment which saw the extension being added coming off from the original circuit and rejoining across the old straight into the chicane.

Some people have argued that too much money was spent on the North grandstand where the upper tier encroaches over the gravel trap at the end of the long straight. But many see it as a feature of the circuit. (Yes it was my attempts at an Abu Dhabi style grandstand).

As usual comments criticisms and possible edits are welcomed
Attached Thumbnails
Mar 1 Top.jpg   Mar 1 Orig.jpg   Mar 1 Orig chicane.jpg  

Mar 1 Short Circuit.jpg   Mar 1 Extended Circuit.jpg   Mar 1 Grandstand.jpg  

Old 6 Mar 2011, 07:46 (Ref:2840908)   #54
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
More of the same.....It just keeps getting better.
I like your extension. Inirially I wondered just how flowing it would be to drive but after closer examination I think it would work well. However overtaking in modern/current F1 cars might be quite difficult.
Old 7 Mar 2011, 02:59 (Ref:2841259)   #55
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
I like this track, it feels quite motorcycable would be interesting the last 1/4 of the track before the s/f , the rest looks fast but technical perfectly suited for F1 , MotoGP and SBK for sure, besides a hell of a track for regional events, I still would like to see an option to use two circuits at the same time, that's a major economic advantage and if I was owning this circuit I would require you to make such modification
Old 7 Mar 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2841481)   #56
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know this has been discussed before, but I tend to design in the European way, that is one big pit complex that has shorter or extended versions of a "Base" circuit. Very few although some of the newest auto-palaces are, were designed for separate circuits that could be run concurrently.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2843405)   #57
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
March 2

Based of a single pit complex, we have a GP circuit, a Club circuit, and a Bike loop addition to the club circuit making the Bike circuit

GP Circuit 6.098 km or 3.811 miles
Club Circuit 3.807 km or 2.38 miles
Bike Circuit 4.265 km or 2.669 miles

GP circuit
Straight: 1.035km
T1 - T2: 479m

Club/Bike Circuit
Straight: 720m
Exit T1 - Entry T4: 946m

Bike Circuit
Exit T7 to Entry T8 Bike Loop: 576m

Image Order
GP Circuit Top View
Extended straight & GP Loop
Club Circuit Top View
T1 Link to GP Circuit
Bike Circuit Top View
Bike Loop

As usual comments, criticism and possible edits are welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Mar 2 Full.jpg   Mar 2 straight.jpg   Mar 2 club car.jpg  

Mar 2 t1.jpg   Mar 2 Bike circuit.jpg   Mar 2 Bike Loop.jpg  

Old 10 Mar 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2843596)   #58
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
That is quite complicated!

At first glance I'm impressed about the shape and the characteristics, I'm just not sure if its a car circuit, as others say all the time, they may want a longer section with a hard braking zone for overtaking, but for me looks like a hell of a bike circuit, plenty physical too!

I would definitively extend runoff at T1 it looks to me like a 180MPH turn ! ill just make it a little longer though.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 00:04 (Ref:2843700)   #59
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Here is a close up of T1 and the gravel tarp dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails
Mar 2 T1 dims.jpg  
Old 14 Mar 2011, 09:39 (Ref:2845353)   #60
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
March 2

Based of a single pit complex, we have a GP circuit, a Club circuit, and a Bike loop addition to the club circuit making the Bike circuit

GP Circuit 6.098 km or 3.811 miles
Club Circuit 3.807 km or 2.38 miles
Bike Circuit 4.265 km or 2.669 miles

GP circuit
Straight: 1.035km
T1 - T2: 479m

Club/Bike Circuit
Straight: 720m
Exit T1 - Entry T4: 946m

Bike Circuit
Exit T7 to Entry T8 Bike Loop: 576m

Image Order
GP Circuit Top View
Extended straight & GP Loop
Club Circuit Top View
T1 Link to GP Circuit
Bike Circuit Top View
Bike Loop

As usual comments, criticism and possible edits are welcomed.
The only change i'd make is to make a looser T5. Apart from that, love it. I think it's fantastic.

Quite alot of slow corners so some of it makes it feel a little Tilke-esque, but it looks a great deal of fun.

Selby
Old 14 Mar 2011, 09:48 (Ref:2845358)   #61
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Again, quite a quick/crude edit, but that's roughly what I was thinking

Selby
Attached Thumbnails
sbf ed.jpg  
Old 14 Mar 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2845856)   #62
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
March 3

This is a design that's been on the back burner for a while as I've never been completely happy with it. There are still a few niggles but I decided to finish it off.

Top view only

In this case more than ever, comments criticisms and possible edits are very welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Mar 3 Top View.jpg  
Old 15 Mar 2011, 01:02 (Ref:2845905)   #63
Will3
Rookie

United States
Will3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
first glance reminds me of barcelona, its those last few turns, the last i'd say 6 or so. I first thought it was clockwise but realize by the runoffs its counterclockwise. Its good to me
Old 15 Mar 2011, 02:45 (Ref:2845925)   #64
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Ohhh that one is a keeper!

I'd only change a little bit of the gravel traps positions on certain spots, but the track seems very motorcycable

It has a little ALan Wilson to it,the infield reminds me of Miller somehow.

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 15 Mar 2011 at 03:10.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2845994)   #65
Teretonga
Veteran

Given the described length it would be quite a fast track, but without a mega straight. Ideal for bikes with lots of variable redius corners.
I like it for bikes and touring cars and lower level single seaters.
I don't understand the final corner, a fast sweeper culminating in a chicane coming onto the start finish straight.... Is there a reason for that in mind?
Old 15 Mar 2011, 12:13 (Ref:2846112)   #66
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
One of the reasons that it was on the back burner for so long was that it's come out as very much a motorbike circuit. I'd been trying to find tweaks that allowed it to be a bit more car friendly....without much success.

Teretonga. the final chicane is something I struggled with, as I didn't want a long sweeper directly onto the straight. If for no other reason than getting pit entry design that allows such high speed.
The pit entry now sits across from an acceleration zone from a slow corner. Someone entering the pits can easily keep tight on exit of the corner out of the way of those not pitting as they accelerate.

It's not ideal I appreciate that but without major redesign it was the best solution.
Old 16 Mar 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2847123)   #67
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, "March 3" surely is different from your usual design style. I like this diversion.
Yet, when I looked at the diagram, I immediately thought "clockwise" (even though it says "anticlockwise" in big bold letters).

To turn it into a good clockwise circuit, you wouldn't even need to tighten the new Turn 1-2 chicane. All you need to do is add another overtaking opportunity or two.
And keeping in with the hilariousness that the high number of medium and slow increasing and decreasing radius corners provides the track with, I'd suggest lengthening the straights of the right-hand infield finger to lead into two tunnels underneath the paddock and return to the surface for that 180 degree corner on the outside of the main straight. Yes, that is a little over-the-top but this way, the new 1st corner would be an amazing spot for spectators. You could watch a fast Esses section at the same time as the main overtaking opportunity of the circuit.
And that solution would add another overtaking opportunity at the end of the run back underneath the paddock if you could switch around the subsequent corners.

I hope you like my suggestion and that it's not too crazy for you.
Old 16 Apr 2011, 20:49 (Ref:2864435)   #68
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Right I've been snowed under at work together with waging a pitched battle with Sketch up 8 and the layering issues that I ways seem to have with it.

I've decided on an honourable retreat back to version 7 for the moment so that I could at least get something on the board. And here it is...

Apr2 is in fact 2 circuits which combine to produce a GP length. To please the more financially astute forumites each has it's own pit complex and can be used independently on one another.

The North circuit is a single layout Clockwise circuit of 1.725 miles (2.759 km)
With a Pit straight measuring 417m but features a flat out run from T2 to the T4 hairpin of 767m.

The South Circuit is a multi-layout design.
The shortest version is called the S900, which comes from the 900m back straight.
The chicane circuit interrupts the back straight leaving a 600m run into the next corner.
The Infield circuit is the longest version, but uses the least of the back straight.
Each version operates in a clockwise direction out of the GP pit complex on the 782m Start finish Straight and measures as follows
S900: 1.681 miles (2.690 km)
Chicane: 1.702 miles (2.723 km)
Infield: 1.913 miles (3.061 km)

When combined together the North and South circuits provide a multi-layout facility of Grand Prix proportions with a choice of circuits measuring 3.428 miles (5484 km), 3.448 miles (5.517 km), or as shown in the first image 3.660 miles (5.855 km) depending on Southern layout used.

**Rather than waste time adding tunnels and bridges etc, I've posted on completion of the design.**

As usual Comments, criticism and possible edits are welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
Apr 2 Top View.jpg   Apr 2 North Circuit.jpg   Apr 2 South infield.jpg  

Apr 2 Hairpin.jpg   Apr 2 End of Straight.jpg   Apr 2 Straight.jpg  

Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2865580)   #69
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really like this one, particularly the bottom left section with the long curve/straight. If I was being picky I would slightly reconfigure a few corners to make them slightly less sharp but this is purely a personal thing.

Great job!
Old 20 Apr 2011, 19:09 (Ref:2867152)   #70
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SBF, please let me suggest attaching a superspeedway type oval to the upper pitlane.
Old 30 Apr 2011, 23:00 (Ref:2872199)   #71
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Just missed squeezing in a last April design.

I have some time off in May so hopefully can get some designs done.

This one is another twin circuit design

The Grand Prix Circuit is Anticlockwise and includes The Mercedes Curve which isn't used by either short circuits.
Length :6.576m or 4.110 miles

The West circuit is anticlockwise and operates from the Main pit complex
Length : 3.358 km or 2.099 miles

The East Circuit is anticlockwise and operates from its own pit complex
Length: 2.668 km or 1.667 miles.

As usual comments criticisms and possible edits are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Apr3V7 Top GP.jpg   Apr3V7 Top Twin.jpg   Apr3V7 West.jpg  

Apr3V7 West 2.jpg   Apr3V7 East.jpg   Apr3V7 East2.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 1 May 2011 at 12:55.
Old 1 May 2011, 07:51 (Ref:2872284)   #72
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Just missed squeezing in a last April design.

I have some time off in May so hopefully can get some designs done.

This one is another twin circuit design

The Grand Prix Circuit is Anticlockwise and includes The Mercedes Curve which isn't used by either short circuits.
Length :.576m or 4.110 miles

The West circuit is anticlockwise and operates from the Main pit complex
Length : 3.358 km or 2.099 miles

The East Circuit is anticlockwise and operates from its own pit complex
Length: 2.668 km or 1.667 miles.

As usual comments criticisms and possible edits are welcome.
Love it, nice flow, but one concern is T2-T3 on the west circuit. Given that the racing line is dangerously close to the side of the track with the really close barrier that suddenly appears at the side.

Move the barrier back slightly and it could be safer (unless the barriers are moveable, in which case I'm a 'lil sheepish ).

Good job.
Old 10 May 2011, 12:24 (Ref:2878053)   #73
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The second one of May

I kept seeing possibilities in what I was doing with the basic design and some how ended up with a design that allows for not just North and South Circuits but variations of each, a perimeter version as well as GP versions.
added the more gravel traps and things were required to finish the design.

Comments Criticisms and possible edits are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
May 1 Overview.jpg   May 1 view 1.jpg   May 1 N1.jpg  

May 1 N2.jpg   May 1 N3.jpg   May 1 P1.jpg  

Old 10 May 2011, 12:29 (Ref:2878055)   #74
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
More variations
Attached Thumbnails
May 1 P2.jpg   May 1 S1.jpg   May 1 S2.jpg  

May 1 F1.jpg   May 1 F2.jpg  
Old 10 May 2011, 14:02 (Ref:2878115)   #75
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Yeh that's awesome - I really like that. The GP track is really flowing and has the all important overtaking spots, too.

I especially like the mini Monza style one. What a great time you could have in some club races!!

Man it's such a shame this forum's dead. there's still so much talent here.

Selby