Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Jul 2013, 08:10 (Ref:3282718)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chef [iV8SC13R25,R26,R27] Winton 360, Winton - 23-25 August

Its 4 weeks until the V8's invade their next race circuit, spending their time at Winton...

Test track to many, Winton usually puts on an interesting show... the Queensland teams are usually more competitive than their lack of miles there compared to their opposition might suggest

Will we see #1 and #888 at the front of the field, or will their version of Annus Horribilis (i.e. not winning by half a lap) continue?

Can the Winton race get Chaztastic? It was a test venue for him too when working with MWM and FPR...

Will the Fujitsu squad show everyone what's what? Well one of them...

And can the Benzes get their act together, and convert Friday and qualifying speed into race results?

We shall see...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 1 Aug 2013, 09:45 (Ref:3284581)   #2
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
will the boys at winton have to widen the turns or extend the ripple strips to accomodate the egos of some of the top dogs, or will dunlop build another tyre ?

Could we the same from QR, the young guns taking it up to them, ?

Will FPR keep going on their new found speed and reliability, ?

T8 will hit back, BJR should do well, Brighty and Coultard could be in the mix.
Maybe a GRM clean sweep.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 12:06 (Ref:3284986)   #3
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
Lizardfolk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of GRM I've been wondering what's up with Premat. He was really strong at Adelaide and was running 2nd before a failure at Pukekohe... But the mid season has just been horrible... Especially recently with Hidden Valley and Ipswich... Will Winton be any different?
Old 13 Aug 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3289386)   #4
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
This will be my first v8 round for ages. Never been to Winton before, what's the best part of the track to watch from?
Old 13 Aug 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3289462)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
This will be my first v8 round for ages. Never been to Winton before, what's the best part of the track to watch from?
All of it, walk around, lots of good spots, many people sit along whats called the old pit straight (between 2 and 3). Good views and close to stuff

I prefer around at corner 7.

But winton is a great viewing track , you can see 75% of the track from almost anywhere
Old 14 Aug 2013, 00:54 (Ref:3289483)   #6
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unlike the street circuits that V8SA seem determined to have more of!
Old 14 Aug 2013, 02:28 (Ref:3289506)   #7
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Punters are leaving in the minibus on Wednesday morning for the pub crawl to Yarrawonga.
Golf in Mulwala, a thousand ales at the Buffalo Brewery near Wang.
At the circuit Sat and Sun.
Into rehab Monday.......
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 14 Aug 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3289702)   #8
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
All of it, walk around, lots of good spots, many people sit along whats called the old pit straight (between 2 and 3). Good views and close to stuff

But winton is a great viewing track , you can see 75% of the track from almost anywhere
Thanks, Pecks. We're leaving Brissy Wed AM. Our first visit to Winton, our logic is to see it before it's replaced by a street race somewhere in Vic.

I'm sure it will happen.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 21:43 (Ref:3289892)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Punters are leaving in the minibus on Wednesday morning for the pub crawl to Yarrawonga.
Golf in Mulwala, a thousand ales at the Buffalo Brewery near Wang.
At the circuit Sat and Sun.
Into rehab Monday.......
Sounds like the perfect week-end. Apart from the golf.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 22:59 (Ref:3289926)   #10
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
best way to ruin a good walk
Old 14 Aug 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3289935)   #11
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best part of the golf is stopping at the nineteenth hole.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 02:51 (Ref:3289984)   #12
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Thanks peckstar looking forward to it. Now I'm tossing up whether to go Saturday or Sunday, I can only afford to to go one day with a paddock pass. Was thinking of going on Friday as its my birthday but I think work might have a problem with that haha.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 03:31 (Ref:3289989)   #13
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardfolk View Post
Speaking of GRM I've been wondering what's up with Premat. He was really strong at Adelaide and was running 2nd before a failure at Pukekohe... But the mid season has just been horrible... Especially recently with Hidden Valley and Ipswich... Will Winton be any different?
From what I've heard, this will be Mr Premat's last race weekend at Winton...
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 15 Aug 2013, 03:56 (Ref:3289993)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13 View Post
From what I've heard, this will be Mr Premat's last race weekend at Winton...
As in his last Winton meeting, or his last meeting ever?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 Aug 2013, 05:09 (Ref:3290005)   #15
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks peckstar looking forward to it. Now I'm tossing up whether to go Saturday or Sunday, I can only afford to to go one day with a paddock pass. Was thinking of going on Friday as its my birthday but I think work might have a problem with that haha.
Happy birthday mate.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 06:30 (Ref:3290021)   #16
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Happy Birthday

Personally I lean towards the Saturday. I find the crowds are a bit smaller, soemtimes the price is a bit less. Parkings a bit easier (although not hard a winton)
Old 15 Aug 2013, 07:07 (Ref:3290031)   #17
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
MICK RONKE TRIBUTE
The Mick Ronke Tribute will be held on Sunday 25th August prior to race 26
and will consist of the following:

1315 - At the 20 minute signal all Cars must be in position on the pit apron as
normal. The Driver of each Car is to be standing at the left front
headlamp with their helmet under their arm. 3 crew members are to
stand next to the Driver with the remaining crew (that can be spared) to
stand at the rear of the Car. All this is to be in place at 1315 (20 minute
signal). After the 20 minute signal siren sounds, Garry Coleman will
commence a prayer and following that, there will be a moment’s
silence. All Teams are to remain in position as this may be filmed for
TV.

1317 - All activity to be finished and countdown procedure continues as
normal.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 07:36 (Ref:3290036)   #18
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Happy Birthday Rich when I was working (now retired) always made my birthday an RDO. GO on Saturday that way you can recover on sunday.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3290095)   #19
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
As in his last Winton meeting, or his last meeting ever?
No, last Winton meeting. I've heard that if Volvo don't send out a Swedish driver next year, Jack Perkins is currently in the driving seat. The fact that Volvo's huge financial effort will significantly reduce the need of a 'pay' driver for next year gives GR more flexibility in searching for driving talent for the second seat. No offence to AP, but getting hammered by your team mate every meeting isn't exactly impressing sponsors.
Personally, I think Alex has shown great pace throughout the year on occasion, just hasn't had much luck. Would love to see him stay on for another year. I think having the same two drivers next year while changing manufacturer could allow for a steadier transition to a new car.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 17 Aug 2013, 09:16 (Ref:3290913)   #20
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload
Happy Birthday mate.
Thanks

Quote:
Happy Birthday

Personally I lean towards the Saturday. I find the crowds are a bit smaller, soemtimes the price is a bit less. Parkings a bit easier (although not hard a winton)
Thanks price is a bit less but Im swaying towards watching two races on Sunday so I dont mind paying a bit more to watch that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
Happy Birthday Rich when I was working (now retired) always made my birthday an RDO. GO on Saturday that way you can recover on sunday.
Thanks mate. I discovered just yesterday that Im not rostered on Friday so it looks like my birthday is free to sleep in and drink as much as I want
Old 18 Aug 2013, 09:41 (Ref:3291260)   #21
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is going to be a wet infield, although I can tell you that there has been lots and lots of drainage work for the track, significant work has been done on track edges to ensure they stand up on the weekend. There should be no water sitting on the track or the track edges, even the dreaded turn 10 has been fixed just around the corner drivers left.

The roads inside the camping area have been fixed (and named), there is a brand new toilet and shower block in the middle of the camp ground in addition to the existing one.

There is a new hard stand area in the area used by the people selling apparel.

New garages have been built for the Porsches, all the categories will be in permanent garages.

Hopefully it will stay dry between now and next Monday, although there is some showers forecast for Friday, we will see, they didn't get the forecast right for this weekend up here.

Last edited by Trevor; 18 Aug 2013 at 09:58.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 09:58 (Ref:3291264)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It is going to be a wet infield, although I can tell you that there has been lots and lots of drainage work for the track, significant work has been done on track edges to ensure they stand up on the weekend. There should be no water sitting on the track or the track edges, even the dreaded turn 10 has been fixed just around the corner drivers left.

The roads inside the camping area have been fixed (and named), there is a brand new toilet and show block in the middle of the camp ground in addition to the existing one.

There is a new hard stand area in the area used by the people selling apparel.

New garages have been built for the Porsches, all the categories will be in permanent garages.

Hopefully it will stay dry between now and next Monday, although there is some showers forecast for Friday, we will see, they didn't get the forecast right for this weekend up here.
and thats part of the reason why winton is my favourite track, because they are doing their best to improve the facilities for spectators
Old 18 Aug 2013, 10:06 (Ref:3291267)   #23
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
There is still more to do, things must go on post Mick Ronke and it is. It is great to see V8SC's paying tribute, it awesome of them.

Hopefully the crowd will be good, although the threat of rain makes it difficult.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 10:18 (Ref:3291269)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
There is still more to do, things must go on post Mick Ronke and it is. It is great to see V8SC's paying tribute, it awesome of them.

Hopefully the crowd will be good, although the threat of rain makes it difficult.
Not sure the August date is ideal for Winton, Reckon an autumn or early winter date works better, bit less wet

Any idea how the improvements were funded (was there a grant or did they self fund)?

I assume they were planned pre Micks passing?

looks like the rain is hammering down as I type
Old 18 Aug 2013, 10:22 (Ref:3291270)   #25
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Mostly self funded I believe. Yes they were planned.

May would be better, August is our wettest month traditionally.