Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Drifting

Old 10 Mar 2011, 20:31 (Ref:2843554)   #1
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time Attack

Is this the right forum to enquiry about Time Attack?

If so, what is it all about?

CP
Old 10 Mar 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2843574)   #2
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the uninitiated, Time Attack is a series of qualifying sessions which results in an overall winner. Some very fast cars, often on road tyres... No racing as such, but traffic can make a big difference, so there is strategy and tactics involved.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2843584)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I've not been to see Time Attack at a circuit but having seen some of the cars at Autosport and various other places there are some handy cars in it. I may see if I can get along to one of the meetings this year. I always assumed it was essentially sprinting with some snorty cars, I didn't realise it was multiple cars on track at a time fighting for space
Old 10 Mar 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2843667)   #4
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
So are these events at race tracks only?

Is the MSA involved? If so what licence do you need?

CP
Old 11 Mar 2011, 00:33 (Ref:2843707)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
I'm pretty sure there was a news item or short article about Time Attack in the MSA News recently - assuming you are a licence-holder just check the last few issues...
Old 11 Mar 2011, 07:49 (Ref:2843779)   #6
andrewc
Veteran

For the pro classes, you need a national B. For the lower classes, a 'non-race' national B. Pretty low requirements for cars with up to 850bhp!
Old 11 Mar 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2844287)   #7
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its funny to see cars with huge spoilers, I dont think they realise that you cannot just randomly both on shapes to a car and expect it to give you downforce.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2844364)   #8
Startline Al
Racer

England
Kent
Startline Al should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I'm the Clerk for the series, you can find all the details here.
http://www.timeattack.co.uk/2011/index.php

It's been a great success, starting in 2005 and went MSA from last year.
Regards, Al.
Old 13 Mar 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2845086)   #9
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post
Its funny to see cars with huge spoilers, I dont think they realise that you cannot just randomly both on shapes to a car and expect it to give you downforce.
Maybe not, but the pro class cars are pure race cars. If they have them its because they need them

We will be at every round covering it

http://www.garageawesome.com
Old 13 Mar 2011, 22:12 (Ref:2845221)   #10
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
So I have had a look at the web site, and sorry I still dont get it!

Is it just like a track day but timed. And the fastest wins?

Or is it like a sprint, and you just do 1 timed lap?

Or are you actually racing each other?

Colin
Old 13 Mar 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2845235)   #11
andrewc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Parkinson View Post
So I have had a look at the web site, and sorry I still dont get it!

Is it just like a track day but timed. And the fastest wins?

Or is it like a sprint, and you just do 1 timed lap?

Or are you actually racing each other?

Colin
There is no actual wheel to wheel racing, although cars will pass each other on track. They are not racing for position. Its more complicated than sprinting which is purely a hot lap against the clock, and you shouldn't meet another car.

For the people used to racing, my analogy of a series of knock out qualifying sessions is most apt.

Those with a fast car will pace themselves early on - fast enough to get through, but not so fast to risk the car or to reveal the true speed of their car to their competitors. Keep your powder dry as long as possible...

Those with slower cars will want to go as fast as they can to get as far as they can in the days sessions, and may knock out some faster cars caught napping.

These sessions are open pitlane format, but each driver has to slot their way into the traffic on track, and as the track rubbers in times start to drop, unless the weather interferes.

I must admit, the genre isn't my particular cup of tea, however the times these cars can do is impressive, and its brought a new audience to race circuits.

On the Modified Live ticket in 2010, I would estimate it had the fourth biggest race audience at Snetterton, after British Superbikes, BTCC and the Lotus Festival, so they are doing something right. Last year they shared the race day with the European Drifting Championship, something a lot of racers don't quite 'get' either!
Old 13 Mar 2011, 23:11 (Ref:2845261)   #12
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Andrew, thanks for all that. Now it starts to make sense.

But I dont get it!!

Nor do I get drifting!!

Is that motorsport? It does actually sound like a timed track day. Methinks it is an age thing!

Colin
Old 14 Mar 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2845312)   #13
andrewc
Veteran

Time Attack is motorsport. It is timed, is competitive, and the overall fastest person wins. No different in this case to sprinting, hill climbing, drag racing or rallying etc.,

Drifting is scored by judges, so falls into the same discussion that ice speed skating vs figure dancing comes into.
Old 14 Mar 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2845826)   #14
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time Attack to me is qualifying for the sake of qualifying.

It's a rather pure form of motorsport, the quickest lap time wins the event.

Some awesome bits of kit have been produced worldwide to compete in the class.
Old 15 Mar 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2846134)   #15
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
There is no actual wheel to wheel racing, although cars will pass each other on track. They are not racing for position. Its more complicated than sprinting which is purely a hot lap against the clock, and you shouldn't meet another car.

For the people used to racing, my analogy of a series of knock out qualifying sessions is most apt.

Those with a fast car will pace themselves early on - fast enough to get through, but not so fast to risk the car or to reveal the true speed of their car to their competitors. Keep your powder dry as long as possible...

Those with slower cars will want to go as fast as they can to get as far as they can in the days sessions, and may knock out some faster cars caught napping.

These sessions are open pitlane format, but each driver has to slot their way into the traffic on track, and as the track rubbers in times start to drop, unless the weather interferes.

I must admit, the genre isn't my particular cup of tea, however the times these cars can do is impressive, and its brought a new audience to race circuits.

On the Modified Live ticket in 2010, I would estimate it had the fourth biggest race audience at Snetterton, after British Superbikes, BTCC and the Lotus Festival, so they are doing something right. Last year they shared the race day with the European Drifting Championship, something a lot of racers don't quite 'get' either!
Nice way to explain it andrew.

I love Time Attack, yes it may not be pure racing but watching a good range of different cars with upto 900bhp going for the best lap for me is great to watch.

Some people dont like it because they arnt racing wheel to wheel, and i can see where they are coming from. You need to know what is going on, who is on a fast lap and who is setting the pace. I find that to really learn about time attack you need to have been to more than 1 event.

The standard of the cars is up there with the best there is in british motorsport, and time attack is massive in japan and is growing here and accross europe.
Old 17 Mar 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2847367)   #16
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope to have a look at Oulton, curiosity has got the better of me.
Old 17 Mar 2011, 12:39 (Ref:2847432)   #17
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't make any events last year, but I did in both 2009 and 2008 (at Brands hatch), both of which were excellent days out.

I will definately try and make a round or two this year: especially as RCM are suppose to be back with their new toy...
Old 17 Mar 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2847461)   #18
Startline Al
Racer

England
Kent
It'll have to go some to beat the old one, Ollie said they may even bring it out of retirement for a run or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOP3_1TsXs4
Old 17 Mar 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2847506)   #19
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startline Al View Post
It'll have to go some to beat the old one, Ollie said they may even bring it out of retirement for a run or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOP3_1TsXs4
I have seen that video about 1000 times but I will still happily sit through it again. It's a phenomenal bit of engineering - and Olly isn't a bad driver either...

I understand the Gobstopper 2 won't be ready until this years Ten of the Best (at the earliest), so I don't know if they will run the GS1 car for the first few TA rounds then bring in the GS2 later in the year?
Old 18 Mar 2011, 09:17 (Ref:2847996)   #20
Startline Al
Racer

England
Kent
I think that's the plan, we had the original gobstopper on the stand at Autosport and it was in full working condition, still showcar clean as well.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2848037)   #21
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
I cant wait to see the new one
Old 18 Aug 2011, 03:19 (Ref:2942354)   #22
F50GTPlus
Rookie

F50GTPlus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aside from gobstopper who are the other top time attack teams in British motorsport... I know the US has FXMD, Sierra Sierra, GST and the Scion... Japan has Garage Revolution, Cyber Evo, Panspeed, R Magic and the legendary HKS CTR230... but we never hear much about the euro teams stateside, any help would be appreciated
Old 18 Aug 2011, 09:02 (Ref:2942410)   #23
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
slummingangel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F50GTPlus View Post
Aside from gobstopper who are the other top time attack teams in British motorsport... I know the US has FXMD, Sierra Sierra, GST and the Scion... Japan has Garage Revolution, Cyber Evo, Panspeed, R Magic and the legendary HKS CTR230... but we never hear much about the euro teams stateside, any help would be appreciated
these reports from round 5 might help http://www.rpmvision.nl/en/features/...-caldwell-park and http://www.timeattack.co.uk/2011/pag...=1&s=241&p=241 rpm online also cover the dutch time attack
Old 25 Aug 2011, 23:03 (Ref:2945993)   #24
F50GTPlus
Rookie

F50GTPlus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the link... also is there a reason why we don't see more European time attack teams at the World Time Attack Challenge or even at Tsukuba in December, they all look quick in videos but it would be interesting to have a true comparisson in a head to head situation
Old 26 Aug 2011, 01:23 (Ref:2946040)   #25
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
slummingangel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F50GTPlus View Post
Thanks for the link... also is there a reason why we don't see more European time attack teams at the World Time Attack Challenge or even at Tsukuba in December, they all look quick in videos but it would be interesting to have a true comparisson in a head to head situation
no reason that i know of. It would be nice to be able to support someone closer to home at WTAC 2012.
some uk cars went to japan a couple of years ago http://www.driftworks.com/forum/othe...p-tsukuba.html also iirc the redbrick racing evo has been to ireland and holland to do a round