Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Oct 2014, 22:13 (Ref:3468087)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gen 2 Supercar

The white paper V8SC have been working on for a while, covering the future direction of the sport, has been signed off by the REC holders..

Story Here

2017 will be here sooner than we know..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 24 Oct 2014, 22:40 (Ref:3468100)   #2
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is it with the stupid generic names
Old 25 Oct 2014, 01:16 (Ref:3468129)   #3
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also what is it with articles that seem to get published with 4th grade spelling errors and no sub-ed???
Old 25 Oct 2014, 01:24 (Ref:3468131)   #4
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More here:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/10/25/...firmed-sydney/

http://autoaction.com.au/v8-supercar-2017-unveiled/

http://autoaction.com.au/v8-supercar...ancial-future/

Looks like two door, four pot appliances are go!

Going to make for a really dodgy BoF scenario...

Also moves the whole show closer to DTM / SuperGT Class One and carbon tubs are expected to drop in price.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 03:39 (Ref:3468148)   #5
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
More here:
http://www.speedcafe.com/2014/10/25/...firmed-sydney/

http://autoaction.com.au/v8-supercar-2017-unveiled/

http://autoaction.com.au/v8-supercar...ancial-future/

Looks like two door, four pot appliances are go!

Going to make for a really dodgy BoF scenario...

Also moves the whole show closer to DTM / SuperGT Class One and carbon tubs are expected to drop in price.

No thanks. rest sounds good to me.
Old 26 Oct 2014, 12:28 (Ref:3468676)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Also what is it with articles that seem to get published with 4th grade spelling errors and no sub-ed???
Look who the journo is - explains a fair bit.

One would be fairly confident the journo didnt even write the questions - the whole thing is from the V8SC pr department.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 17:48 (Ref:3469779)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
V8SC should stay a 4-door saloon car series.

If they switch to GT's it will be one of the many GT series in the world.

No need to change the chassis and engine rules, although I can imagine the manufacturers want smaller (turbo) engines.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 05:08 (Ref:3469890)   #8
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
V8SC should stay a 4-door saloon car series.

If they switch to GT's it will be one of the many GT series in the world.

If allowing 2-door cars like Camaro's or Mustang's in makes the series a GT series, then this has been a GT series since the mid-60s!!
Old 30 Oct 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3470019)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Which 2-door car has raced in V8 SUPERCARS?
Old 30 Oct 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3470024)   #10
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Which 2-door car has raced in V8 SUPERCARS?
ATCC from the early days to the supercar era.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3470027)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Which was not V8SC.

I was talking about V8SC.
Old 30 Oct 2014, 21:05 (Ref:3470058)   #12
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's the same thing.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 06:53 (Ref:3470172)   #13
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's being renamed anyway. So even if you believe that V8Supercar = 4 doors only, it's a moot point.

Perhaps in 2017 <Insert New Name Here> will have 2 door and 4 door cars. I have my money on the words 'Touring Car' returning to the series title so I think that could work.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 21:56 (Ref:3470326)   #14
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 door coupes, different engine configurations why not just adopt the rules from someone else and make the start up costs cheaper?

Why build something new when there is plenty of options on the world scene already?

What is the cost difference between GT3 and DTM/JGTC?
Old 31 Oct 2014, 22:17 (Ref:3470337)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
a mustang and a camaro are not "sports cars" so it fits logically into the touring car scene
Old 31 Oct 2014, 22:42 (Ref:3470344)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholosophy View Post
It's being renamed anyway. So even if you believe that V8Supercar = 4 doors only, it's a moot point.

Perhaps in 2017 <Insert New Name Here> will have 2 door and 4 door cars. I have my money on the words 'Touring Car' returning to the series title so I think that could work.
I would prefer that V8SC remains 4 door... much more room to put branding on to start with, and the cars being raced are volume models, not hero cars.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 31 Oct 2014, 23:10 (Ref:3470360)   #17
velly4
Racer

Australia
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I would prefer that V8SC remains 4 door... much more room to put branding on to start with, and the cars being raced are volume models, not hero cars.
Why does it matter what car they use?

It's not like you can go down to your local Nissan or Volvo dealership and buy a rear wheel drive V8 now?

For me there is far to much hanging on to the past (V8SC era) for the series to make the steps it needs.

COTF for me has been great in some aspects but on the other hand a big fail as they didn't push the boundaries and stayed safe with engine configurations etc.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 23:57 (Ref:3470372)   #18
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by velly4 View Post
2 door coupes, different engine configurations why not just adopt the rules from someone else and make the start up costs cheaper?

Why build something new when there is plenty of options on the world scene already?

What is the cost difference between GT3 and DTM/JGTC?
This. I reckon GT3 is the go.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 00:47 (Ref:3470387)   #19
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
This. I reckon GT3 is the go.
Quite possibly.........if people want high power, large capacity engines racing in the future they will most likely have to look at cars that are out of most peoples price bracket.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 01:51 (Ref:3470399)   #20
Umai Naa
Veteran

Yeah, but who do they sell the series to first and foremost? The fans or the competitors?

They are cheaper to buy as a going concern, compared to a current V8SC, brand new ready to hit the track. Plus you get the technical backup from the constructor, regardless of whether you're competing against them. On top of this, R&D is global, spread over dozens of chassis, as opposedto as as little as three, or as many as 9.

Does Tony Quinn hold any actual 'rights' to GT3 racing in Aus/NZ?
Old 1 Nov 2014, 01:59 (Ref:3470403)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Yeah, but who do they sell the series to first and foremost? The fans or the competitors?

They are cheaper to buy as a going concern, compared to a current V8SC, brand new ready to hit the track. Plus you get the technical backup from the constructor, regardless of whether you're competing against them. On top of this, R&D is global, spread over dozens of chassis, as opposedto as as little as three, or as many as 9.

are they cheaper to buy? my observation harder to fix also.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 03:12 (Ref:3470415)   #22
Umai Naa
Veteran

Good enough reason to clean up the driving standards a little.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 03:42 (Ref:3470419)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Good enough reason to clean up the driving standards a little.
the fans already cry enough when it comes to penalties
Old 1 Nov 2014, 11:12 (Ref:3470469)   #24
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I guess it depends on his deal with CAMS? I'd think his deal is more about using the "Aus GT Championship" title, he could run the series with any rules he likes, not necessarily GT3.

Once upon a time a promoter could just run a race for a class of car, be it a touring car, sports sedan etc etc...

Obviously thats how we wound up with AMSCAR alongside the ATCC, you had the Australian Production Car Championship as well as the Amaroo Production Car series as well as the Calder Bob Jane production car series, the myriad of localised Sports Sedan Championships etc...

If V8SC decided to adopt GT3 regs, i don't think they would be stop...... i find this scenario highly unlikely though
Old 2 Nov 2014, 14:18 (Ref:3470831)   #25
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about using the ATCC as the name?