Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 17 Apr 2018, 11:24 (Ref:3816147)   #101
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't disagree that everyone in marketing stretches the facts. But if you repeat those manipulated numbers on a forum, then expect to be called out

Put it this way - if I posted in the BTCC thread that TCR UK went from 1 fan to 20 fans, and therefore that's a 2000% increase and the fastest growing series in the world, certain members would call for my head to be on a stake My numbers are completely true, but also absolutely irrelevant - same here.

I have no real issues with Formula E. I just have an issue with people pretending it's bigger and better than it is. It's fine. It lacks noise. But it also has awesome little street circuits that are fun. But then again, the street circuits are there because the cars lack the guts to run on proper circuits. But it also has good drivers, so that's cool.

I just call it like it is. Formula E. It's fine. It's not amazing (not that most series are), and I wish people would stop claiming nonsense about it.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 14:02 (Ref:3816182)   #102
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Measuring popularity growth in percentages has been an old trick.

The true measure is the absolute number of new fans.
So growing from 100k to 200k is +100k.
And growing from 1M to 20M is +19M.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 18:02 (Ref:3816226)   #103
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Exactly. Formula E got bumped down the Channel 5 order to make way for Pegga Pig. Whilst I appreciate Formula E, let's not pretend it's popular.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 21:14 (Ref:3816245)   #104
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Mike Sweeney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having not repeated any numbers, manipulated or otherwise, I've got nothing to be called out for - that must relate to some other comment(s).

The channel 5/Peppa Pig thing says something, I guess. Not being familiar with Pegga Pig, if I'm that bothered then guess I'll have to go and research it. Maybe it's incredible and truly deserving of the place previously occupied by FE. Maybe I couldn't care less, no more than I care if Eastenders or Coronation St have 20 times the UK viewing figures of F1 on Sky + Ch4. It's just not relevant here.

As for hyping FE up, or claiming it's amazing - I'm not aware of that - I've seen a lot of negative commentary about it, but not much positive. If it's all so uninteresting and lacklustre, why comment at all? Surely you're all just aiding it's popularity - after all, there's no such thing as bad publicity...
Old 18 Apr 2018, 17:10 (Ref:3816389)   #105
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sweeney View Post
Having not repeated any numbers, manipulated or otherwise, I've got nothing to be called out for - that must relate to some other comment(s).
Yes, it relates to the comment I quoted (which you then replied to).

My point is, nobody seems to be able to take Formula E at face value. They either adore it or hate it. Here we have some nonsense stats about how it's the fastest growing as if it means anything, and as if that adds validity to the series in some way.

Formula E is...fine. It has a bunch of positives and a bunch of negatives. All series have negatives. It certainly isn't as great as what some claim, but it's also not as bad as other claims. I try to watch Formula E, and it certainly isn't the worst series I watch.

Using growth figures, it's also not the fastest growing. TCR UK started with 0 fans at the start of the year, and it has at least...5 by now. Percentage-wise, that's an infinite growth level and therefore it's the fastest growing series in the world - in terms of entries, popularity and viewing figures. When you put that claim into context like that, it's madness. Well the FE claim is the same - it isn't popular. The debate on that could go on for pages and nobody would agree - but at the end of the day, it doesn't get big crowds, it doesn't get good online views and it gets bumped down the TV order for children's TV. Trying to pretend otherwise with some twisted stats won't do FE any favours. If people on both sides start being honest about FE, then maybe it'll start gaining some traction (even got a car pun in there!).

Peppa Pig is fantastic, you should give it a try.
Old 19 Apr 2018, 19:40 (Ref:3816551)   #106
LPP68
Rookie

LPP68 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More interesting than if Formula E is awesome or not, is the question who will drive next year? 4 extra seats, with Mercedes, Porsche and Nissan as new works teams will offer some handsomely paid drives.
Old 20 Apr 2018, 22:27 (Ref:3816706)   #107
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPP68 View Post
More interesting than if Formula E is awesome or not, is the question who will drive next year? 4 extra seats, with Mercedes, Porsche and Nissan as new works teams will offer some handsomely paid drives.
Porsche will keep their LMP1 boys. Mercedes will use their F1 reserves. Nissan will get the drivers from Renault. Don't expect the unexpected.
Old 23 Apr 2018, 10:26 (Ref:3816991)   #108
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone heard about drivers at DAMS? I heard that Nico Prostate may leave at the end of this season? DAMS are inviting a group of drivers for testing this weekend on their simulator....

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Old 23 Apr 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3817011)   #109
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What drivers?

I understand that Buemi isn't save as well as he first has contract with Toyota at WEC and second to e.dams for Formula E. Could be possible that Nissan/Toyota are not keen to take the same driver.
Old 23 Apr 2018, 22:49 (Ref:3817082)   #110
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Buemi is too valuable to be released. Prost can stay only by his surname. Perhaps Nissan will place a Jap in the line up, which I doubt.
Old 24 Apr 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3817171)   #111
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'd sign some F1 rejects: Antonio Giovinazzi, Raffaele Marciello, Oliver Rowland...
Old 25 Apr 2018, 06:44 (Ref:3817276)   #112
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Mike Sweeney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nearly a week on..still haven't found time to watch Peppa Pig!

Back on topic - I get a lot of what's been said about viewing stats/perception of growth etc., and some of it I don't know about - who claimed what and who didn't.

My thought is that global blue-chip companies don't usually rush into every new thing happening. Yet we've seen a unique situation, where most of the world's prominent car manufacturers are signing up to be a part of FE. I thought it was going to be a niche thing, with just a handful of private teams and some obvious partners - NIO, Venturi, etc. But it's been much more than that. Which, in growth terms directly related to motorsport participation, is enormous.
Old 25 Apr 2018, 12:21 (Ref:3817316)   #113
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Indeed it's enormous. I knew that this was Agag's plan all along, but I had serious doubts that he could do it. This championship is very solid, which an excellent group of drivers.

Actually, it has more manufacturer support than spectator support, which is odd. So perhaps it's not meant for fans, but to brag specific people about manufacturer's concern about ecology.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 06:59 (Ref:3817834)   #114
LPP68
Rookie

Ma replaced Filippi at the NIO-squad. Marketingwise it is probably smart to have a Chinese driver in the car, but I doubt it will improve the results of the second NIO car a lot. Last in P1 anyway, with a considerable margin.
Old 28 Apr 2018, 21:48 (Ref:3817953)   #115
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPP68 View Post
Ma replaced Filippi at the NIO-squad. Marketingwise it is probably smart to have a Chinese driver in the car.
I don't think Greater China will be proud to have the slowest driver in the field.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 08:02 (Ref:3818006)   #116
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When the heck are Jag going to get things right? Piquet Jr crashes both cars in practise, Evans bad quali lap apparently tyres not in the window (somehow) but 10 place grid drop and 5 sec penalty for gearbox change on a track you can't pass on means he might as well not even bother getting out of bed. Then loses the front wing in the race. After that pit stop his overall race time was about 6 secs quicker than Vergne (thus 6 sec quicker than everyone else in the field). Plus he really had no reason to push 100% anyway because he was half a minute behind the field, so he could have been faster than that. And he caught Lynne he probably held him up. Just another wasted weekend where Evans could have finally won a race. Piquet can't keep up with him. Actually just looking over practise sessions for the year, only once this year has Evans been outside the top 4.

2-1-4-4-4-3-4-3-2-3-3-10-4-3

It's probably the best average of everyone (3.57 avg). Yet somehow when they get to quali there's either a mechanical problem, penalty, team screwing and sending him out too late when he was a sure pole, or mistake that ruins his race and he's only had the single podium all year.

Lotterer getting better and better, until the last lap but that was a racing incident imo, come on he's heading to the line he's not just going to move out of everyones way it's their job to get past him safely. He didn't deserve a penalty at the next round that's ridiculous. Birds the one that hit a slower car from behind.

Good to see Vergne get a solid win though, he needed that after the last DNF closed the championship up. With DiG and Buemi so far back in points it's looking like this title will go to someone different again for the 4 season, most likely Vergne unless Bird or Felix find some extra form in the next 5 races.

FE need to stop that fanvote it has to be rigged... DiG, Buemi, Abt are starting nowhere the title is between Bird and Vergne and they're starting 1-2, yet it's those 3 drivers again dominating the fanvote? What on earth has Abt done in his career to get all this fan love? He's only won a single championship back in 2009 and has been categorically dominated by his team mate. It has to be rigged. Audi must be paying for votes from a third world click factory. I can understand Buemi being liked because of his form the last 3 years, coming from F1, although in person and interviews he's not very likable at all compared to most others in FE. But Abt makes no sense. Rant finished
Old 29 Apr 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3818014)   #117
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
He didn't deserve a penalty at the next round that's ridiculous. Birds the one that hit a slower car from behind.
Did you actually watch the race? The closing speeds were enormous and Lotterer was moving all over the place just past a bend. 100% Lotterers fault and you won't find a racing driver or steward who would say different.
Old 29 Apr 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3818031)   #118
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Did you actually watch the race? The closing speeds were enormous and Lotterer was moving all over the place just past a bend. 100% Lotterers fault and you won't find a racing driver or steward who would say different.
Did you actually watch the race? He took the normal racing line, perhaps slightly to the inside to block, as any racing driver would when it's the last corner and they're running 2nd. He didn't weave at all. Look it up on youtube.

The penalty will be because race control deemed he should have just got off the racing line when he was at that speed, but what driver would?
Old 29 Apr 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3818143)   #119
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Obizzz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
100% Lotterer’s fault.
Old 7 May 2018, 15:29 (Ref:3820610)   #120
NSX_LeMans
Racer

NSX_LeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom Blomqvist will be replaced by Sarrazin.

https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/13...-with-sarrazin
Old 7 May 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3820665)   #121
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just having a look at the changes expected for 18-19, they're getting rid of the point for fastest lap and replacing it with a point for least energy used??? So if you just mill around at the back not really attempting anything then you'd get a point, whereas if you finished 11th you wouldn't? Or am I missing something?
Old 8 May 2018, 16:30 (Ref:3820828)   #122
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
Just having a look at the changes expected for 18-19, they're getting rid of the point for fastest lap and replacing it with a point for least energy used??? So if you just mill around at the back not really attempting anything then you'd get a point, whereas if you finished 11th you wouldn't? Or am I missing something?
Does it still have added fan boost to add power? You could decide the championship by voting for a driver to get the fan boost to cost him a point.
Old 9 May 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3821046)   #123
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting - I thought Sims was supposed to be sharing that seat with Blomqvist?
Old 15 May 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3822650)   #124
NSX_LeMans
Racer

NSX_LeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Felipe Massa joins Venturi driver line up for Season 5

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2...-for-season-5/
Old 16 May 2018, 07:31 (Ref:3822765)   #125
LPP68
Rookie

The Berlin round next weekend will be contested on the former Tempelhof airport. Earlier I have seen articles and video's about a new track in the citycenter. What happened in the meantime?