Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Feb 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1520382)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
"Over 3,000 spectators flocked to Aston Hill on 17 May for the second major climb of the year,".
I'd like to see a map of that course. I live not far from there and if it went where I think it went, it was seriously twisty, not to mention dangerous.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1520436)   #2
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
I'd like to see a map of that course. I live not far from there and if it went where I think it went, it was seriously twisty, not to mention dangerous.
Am I right it's Aston Clinton (Oxon) not Aston (Birmingham)?
Old 11 Feb 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1520493)   #3
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very likely, I would say, David, and, of course, where my favourite marque got its first name!
Old 11 Feb 2006, 20:27 (Ref:1520505)   #4
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aston Clinton is actually in Bucks
Old 12 Feb 2006, 06:36 (Ref:1520708)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And its where Mr Martin got the name for his sportscars.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 08:32 (Ref:1520729)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Errr..... yes, Peter, that's what I said! And, his name was Lionel, I believe!
Old 12 Feb 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1520772)   #7
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid
Am I right it's Aston Clinton (Oxon) not Aston (Birmingham)?
Despite always being reffered to as the Aston Hillclimb it is the one near the village of Aston Clinton near Tring; the track ran through the estate of Alfred de Rothschild.

Old 12 Feb 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1520774)   #8
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Very likely, I would say, David, and, of course, where my favourite marque got its first name!
According to Alan Archer, who was the Aston Martin Owners Club Archivist and possibly still is, the often repeated legend that Lionel Martin named the Aston Martin car after Aston Clinton is not strictly true.

However I think the OED might struggle to find any evidence one way or another so I for one prefer to let the apocryphal and charming legend to stand.

Old 12 Feb 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1520846)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Oops,

Sorry it was a late night and an unfortunately early morning. Totally missed your post John.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1520850)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Despite always being reffered to as the Aston Hillclimb it is the one near the village of Aston Clinton near Tring; the track ran through the estate of Alfred de Rothschild.
I'd still like a map of it though because there are some awesome hills and bends in that area and you have at least three roads that would do the job. In skiing terms I'd say they'd be bordering on "black" runs.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1520879)   #11
hodsonaj
Rookie

hodsonaj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a plaque erected at the top of the hill by AM/Lagonda and Herts Auto & Aero Club, who organised the events there, to commemorate the legend - if that's the right expression!
Tony Hodson
Old 12 Feb 2006, 14:58 (Ref:1520963)   #12
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David McKinney
Aston Clinton is actually in Bucks
Apologies - I was momentarily mixing it up with Aston Rowant (just off the M40)
Old 12 Feb 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1520967)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodsonaj
There is a plaque erected at the top of the hill by AM/Lagonda and Herts Auto & Aero Club, who organised the events there, to commemorate the legend - if that's the right expression!
Tony Hodson
Brilliant! As I said there are at least three possibilities. Which one is it?
Old 12 Feb 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1520969)   #14
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Have a look at this

http://www.team.net/www/ktud/am.html
Old 12 Feb 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1520970)   #15
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even better have alook at this

http://mx-5.org/oxford/events/AstonHill/Aston_Hill.htm

Map and photos!!!
Old 17 Feb 2006, 08:19 (Ref:1524843)   #16
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please tell me the plaque does not have the typo of 'hear' for 'here' in the wording....
Old 19 Feb 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1526141)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I sincerely hope not; it would be a real faux pas!

Quote:
According to Alan Archer, who was the Aston Martin Owners Club Archivist and possibly still is, the often repeated legend that Lionel Martin named the Aston Martin car after Aston Clinton is not strictly true.

However I think the OED might struggle to find any evidence one way or another so I for one prefer to let the apocryphal and charming legend to stand.
Yes, it's interesting that Demaus offers no explanation for the addition of 'Aston' to the Martin name, in his biography of Lionel Martin. On the other hand, Inman Hunter in his book, 'Aston Martin - 1914-1940 - A pictorial review' clearly linked the name to the hill. He repeated this, providing more detail in his later book 'Aston Martin 1913-1947', a book which Alan Archer, incidentally, completed following the sad death of Hunter.

Like you, Steve, and in the absence of any viable alternative, I'm happy to accept that the marque name is tied to the hill of the same name!