Old 9 Dec 2004, 03:59 (Ref:1174964)   #1
johnnyBgood
Rookie

United States
Maryland/USA
johnnyBgood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
auto adjusting rear spoiler

Hello,
I posted about this a long time ago, almost a year ago, but alot of time and revisions have come to pass since then.

I have devised a spoiler system that is automatically adjustable by both speed and braking. It is adjustable both height and bite wise to optimize both downforce and braking abilities. I have consulted several manufacturing companies to see what could be done with this and gotten a few quotes for manufacturing specs.

For all the racers here, would a spoiler that was auto adjusted for your speed and braking be a worthwhile investment to you. It would be made to optimize your straitaway top speeds and when cornering give you maximum grip.

Please post up if you are interested. This could quickly (~6 months, maybe less) become a reality and before I start, would like to know the validity of it.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 05:27 (Ref:1174983)   #2
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There isn't a category in Australia that will let you use a "movable aerodynamic device".

Many people have done this in the past and the only problem was the rulemakers shutting it down.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 05:38 (Ref:1174985)   #3
johnnyBgood
Rookie

United States
Maryland/USA
johnnyBgood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok. Do you know of any series that would? I am checking with SCCA to find out their rules along with BTCC.

I think I could also market this to more of the street crowd and show cars as well.
Old 9 Dec 2004, 07:33 (Ref:1175028)   #4
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UK race regs dont allow movable areodynamic devices either, but i can see it would go down wiell with the MAX bra brigade with there sadly customised Saxo's and Nova's
Old 9 Dec 2004, 21:24 (Ref:1175640)   #5
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its an FIA reg so any country that works with the FIA for its comp rules will probably not allow them...
Old 12 Dec 2004, 00:01 (Ref:1177315)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think adjustable aerodynamic devices were banned long ago when anair brake system was used on Mercedes LeMans cars in the 50/60s.Correct me if I am wrong but was it not a failure of such a device that caused a Merc to go off into the crowd killing 50 odd people.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 10:38 (Ref:1177500)   #7
Chris_SLH
Rookie

Chris_SLH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the Le Mans crash of '55 was caused by driver error. The main reason for adjustable aero aids being banned was several failures in F1 during late 60's and early 70's. Also an obvious target to ban as it is so effective in lowering lap-times!
Old 12 Dec 2004, 11:36 (Ref:1177541)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I am sure you are right Chris but there was a Merc from that 50s that did have air brakes that popped out under braking and these were banned I am sure.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 21:52 (Ref:1177842)   #9
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't the Chapparal sports car have a rear wing that adjusted under braking.
Old 12 Dec 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1177848)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
and a built in hoover to clean the track!
Old 12 Dec 2004, 22:52 (Ref:1177886)   #11
imull
Veteran

and regularly seen wearing a (sort of) PVC skirt

most F1 cars of that ear had a movable wing. think they were normally linked into the brake pedal.

personally think that there would be more sense in trying to persuade the FIA to allow you mount the wings on the uprights as was also done in the 60's, thus loosing the majority of the pitch sensitivity problems
Old 13 Dec 2004, 04:22 (Ref:1177970)   #12
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Birley
Didn't the Chapparal sports car have a rear wing that adjusted under braking.
yes they had an automatic transmission so there was no clutch, the drivers right foot operated the gas, and the right the brake and the seperate wing pedal. the steering shaft ran between the legs iirc, the pedal for the wing defaulted to the high downforce position in the foot off position meaning as the foot came off the wing pedal onto the brakes it went high downforce. It also defaulted the device to highdownforce in case of pedal failure. the mounts failed because of the loading first time out (i remeber reading it was actually on the tow to the race (open trailer)) the sucker fan was powered by a snowmobile engine which was banned, the later F1 fan car of so much fame powered itself off of a power take off on the transmission so it was powered directly by the engine which was a point of contention with the cars.

As far as I am aware, the only organization I have run accross that allows any sort of active or powered aerodynamics is the WKA (world karting association) in the united states the FIA and most other sanctioning bodies ban it I can't speak for all of them though
Old 13 Dec 2004, 21:44 (Ref:1178708)   #13
imull
Veteran

the brabham one was a fan for cooling, that happened to just suck all the air from under the car out over the rad. convenient that! lol

just happened to shot blast the cars behind with whatever was under the car too.