Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 16 Nov 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1767760)   #51
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we're going to see Robbie and Oli do most of the races for the rest of the season now. Darren's fulfilled his objective of getting a proper full-time ride (long overdue might I add) so I don't expect to see much of him from now on.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1767867)   #52
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Several thoughts, not necessarily connected!

Its a pity that A1 GP can't run two cars per team, for those that can afford it - how about a model which has a sprint race for each half of the entry ie one race with one of the GBR, FRA, USA, CAN etc drivers (assuming they have two) in it along with some of the single entry teams drawn for each race by ballot. Quyalify as normal but the top 12 finishers in each race go into the feature race.

If this was the case I'd put the Autosport Award winner in a car for the season as part of the prize, with a relatively experienced team mate, Manning, Kerr etc.

As an off the wall thought, how about giving Andy Priaulx a run - he has reportedly done OK when he tested the Williams BMW and is used to powerful single seaters from his hillclimb days.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 16:49 (Ref:1767899)   #53
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we could all name 30 or so British drivers all equally valid. Priaulx, Wilson etc - all great drivers - but they would either not be interested or their current employers would be unlikely to agree to it.

I like the original idea that Surtees had to look at underfunded drivers with potential and on that basis Kerr & Lloyd and now Jarvis were sound picks.

Manning is similarly underfunded but has probably realised most of his potential and as a result now has a full time ride in a major international series - but he was a good pick when out of work, but harder to justify now he has a ride.

So who now - Adam Carroll if he isn't going to Champ Cars would be perfect. Gary Paffett too. The Autosport Award winner would be a fantastic choice as well if you want youth.
Old 16 Nov 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1767984)   #54
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=andy97]Several thoughts, not necessarily connected!

Its a pity that A1 GP can't run two cars per team, for those that can afford it - how about a model which has a sprint race for each half of the entry ie one race with one of the GBR, FRA, USA, CAN etc drivers (assuming they have two) in it along with some of the single entry teams drawn for each race by ballot. Quyalify as normal but the top 12 finishers in each race go into the feature race.
QUOTE]
It may be a good idea if you had to have the designated rookie race in the sprint race (to learn the tracks) in his first year then to have the seasoned pro to race in the feature race, this could eliminate the posibility of some rookie drivers taking out others or at least being blamed for it.
Why would you want Andy in A1, did you not see him in F3 !! hes alot better suited to a series that allows rubbing.

Last edited by nev; 16 Nov 2006 at 18:50.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 12:11 (Ref:1768513)   #55
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nev
Why would you want Andy in A1, did you not see him in F3 !! hes alot better suited to a series that allows rubbing.
That's actually quite funny coming from the leading advocate of Robbie Kerr. I'd say Robbie was particularly good at turning single-seater racing into a contact sport!

As for Andy Priaulx, he's in a different and far better league. Off topic, but if he succeeds in winning his second World title and third FIA title in a row this weekend in Macau, it will be an extaordinary achievement.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 22:14 (Ref:1768859)   #56
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider

As for Andy Priaulx, he's in a different and far better league. .
what i find funny is that the only comparable series they were both in was F3 and i do believe even when Robbie was in the national class he beat Andy then went on to win the Chanpionship class. Fair enough Andy has found his niche with tin tops but he was no match in single seaters.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 00:18 (Ref:1768912)   #57
Penguin
Rookie

Penguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nev
What ever you may think of him being 1.3 seconds faster than his nearest rival in Macau is one hell of an achievement.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 08:29 (Ref:1769007)   #58
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin
What ever you may think of him being 1.3 seconds faster than his nearest rival in Macau is one hell of an achievement.
thats what ive been trying to say , yes he is good in tin tops but he wasn't at the top of the field in single seaters. Good luck to him !!
Old 18 Nov 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1769231)   #59
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't be certain but I thought I read an interview recently with his Priaulx's former F3 team boss (John Booth, Manor Motorsport??) in which he admitted that he did well in in F3, given his previous lack of single seater race experience but the team/ equipment was not up to the mark. Priaulx still won races and got podiums though. Booth, if it was he, was very complimentary and the PR stuff that surrounded Priaulx's tests with Williams BMW was also complimentary.

Finally, you can't win the British Hillclimb championship in an F1 powered single seater without having excellent car control.

I really don't know whether Andy priaulx can RACE at the top level in a single seater and nor does anyone else as his previous experience was compromised (INMHO by being in the wrong place at the wrong time) but he has proven adept at QUALIFYING & RACING in other situations; it would be good to see someone given a chance in the GBR A1 GBR team from outside of the the mainstream.
Old 18 Nov 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1769235)   #60
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Priaulx is one of the most complete British drivers around. He'd wipe the floor with the entire GB team IMO.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1769750)   #61
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
Priaulx still won races and got podiums though. .
and if you read the whole of his web site you will se he did win 2 races.
In two years !!
and now in tin tops he has won two world championships in 2 years
Old 19 Nov 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1769771)   #62
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Priaulx won two races in 2 years of F3, Kerr's won 0 races in the last 2 years of A1GP/WSbyR....

Results can mean anything you want them to!
Old 19 Nov 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1769795)   #63
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
get kerr out. manning is a good driver and deserves to be in. i would love to see Andy Priaulx drivivng that seriosuly would be awesome, i think hes up for the job.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1769799)   #64
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be a step down for Priaulx though, unfortunately.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1769863)   #65
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Priaulx is one of the most complete British drivers around. He'd wipe the floor with the entire GB team IMO.
I'll second that!
Old 19 Nov 2006, 21:50 (Ref:1769870)   #66
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't like it when this happens in TT threads - people ranting on about how X is better than Y when it is almost impossible to compare.

You can find bad things to say about any racing driver - even Michael Schumacher gets ripped to pieces by some and worshipped by others.

At the end of the day, a driver can rarely exceed the opportunities open to them given financing, support, contacts, management, etc..

Unless we have inside information from someone within an actual team I don't think any of us should be slagging off a driver unless they make obvious mistakes. All these guys work damn hard and have made lots of sacrifices to try to succeed - we should admire them and give them some respect.

The owners of Team GB will ultimately decide who gets to drive, I doubt Surtees does more than give his opinion to them. One thing is certain, not everyone will be happy with the choice.
Old 19 Nov 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1769926)   #67
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

We are allowed to discuss who we think is a suitable candidate. If we weren't, it wouldn't be much of a discussion forum. The idea that Robbie Kerr is somehow exempt from this debate is somewhat wishful thinking.

Nobody needs to be "slagged off", and there is little of that.

It just happens that people think there are better choices to be made for the GB seats (I agree) and people are voicing that opinion.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 01:13 (Ref:1769966)   #68
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
In case anyone else didn't notice or understand my post, I was speaking generally and not defending Kerr - I don't think anyone should be exempt from a debate, so long as it is informed and with some justification. I have no problem whatsoever with any opinion based upon something more than just 'i like this guy more'.

I think GB has a lot of options it can exhaust before selecting an already successful driver who hasn't been in a single-seater for 5/6 years. I doubt it would be a very smart career move for him to risk (and it would be a risk no matter how great he is) looking average when out of the team/car he's become so familiar & successful with.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 02:05 (Ref:1769974)   #69
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Getting back to basics, I don't think anyone will be chosen who is not in the trio of drivers already, so it's Kerr, Manning or Jarvis.

I sincerely hope the one in question knows already, because the race is next weekend and he should be out in Malaysia getting acclimatised. The only one definitely in the region already is Jarvis, who has just raced in Macau.

I suspect it will be either him or Kerr, who did okay in the same event last year. If it's not Darren Manning, then I fear he's in for the Alex Lloyd treatment. Just a hunch.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 08:02 (Ref:1770076)   #70
nev
Racer

Quote:
Getting back to basics, I don't think anyone will be chosen who is not in the trio of drivers already, so it's Kerr, Manning or Jarvis.

I sincerely hope the one in question knows already, because the race is next weekend and he should be out in Malaysia getting acclimatised. The only one definitely in the region already is Jarvis, who has just raced in Macau.

I suspect it will be either him or Kerr, who did okay in the same event last year. If it's not Darren Manning, then I fear he's in for the Alex Lloyd treatment. Just a hunch.
if kerr goes out they will have probalbly allready made thier minds up whos driving. I dont think you will see manning again this year. If they do get Kerr and Garvis to rotate i think it would be unfair just to drop in a driver every now and then also surteers is up for the championship win so why risk another driver getting up to speed.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 08:07 (Ref:1770077)   #71
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If it's not Darren Manning, then I fear he's in for the Alex Lloyd treatment. Just a hunch.
Would Manning really want to do it again now anyway? I doubt it.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1770639)   #72
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Would Manning really want to do it again now anyway? I doubt it.
Apparently he would - link - but whether or not he gets the chance is another matter.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1770742)   #73
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
I know I'm taking this out of context but DM said in that Autosport article
"That team has a great bunch of guys, they all work really hard and they deserve to win a race," he said. "I'd really like to get that win for them."

Note the use of "them" and "that team" as opposed to "us". This indicates to me that Darren does not consider himself to be part of the team. Therefore as I said previously I do not believe you will see Darren driving again for GBR unless they need a stand-in. He feels he has unfinished business in A1 that he'd like to sort out but may or may not get to do so.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1770872)   #74
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well for now i think im not really bothered. i can easily see surtees putting henry in the car (his son) but this is years to come i would presume.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 17:39 (Ref:1771584)   #75
nev
Racer

Kerr in the car for A1gp