Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 1 Jul 2013, 06:51 (Ref:3272226)   #101
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would imagine he maybe still lives in Italy? As this ride has all the hallmarks of a bloke who is bored and was asked to ride a purely rubbish bike!

No idea what he is doing and I dont really care! I lost all respect for him when he blew up a bike at Donington years ago and wouldnt pull off the line, meaning otehrs crashed, a total ass if you ask me, even with his achievements.
Old 1 Jul 2013, 18:20 (Ref:3272551)   #102
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess we all have certain thresholds and once our sportsmen and women cross it, we lose a little bit of respect or the awe we had for them, I recall the farce over some grid sweeping incident at Sepang some years ago, a certain doctor went down a notch in my estimation after that but I digress...

So Imola then, not wildly exciting races but we can't expect Portimao supersport-like races each time out, there were close battles in the mid field though in the big class. Sykes was imperious at the front and no one had an answer for him - not the works Aprillias (another engine failure) or BMWs and certainly not the Ducatis, Guiglano might have had something for Tom in race two but we never got to find out.

Laverty had his usual nightmare again and Badovini flattered to deceive with his qualifying pace.

Is Checa going to call it quits at the end of the season or will he find some form again somehow. Do we think the championship positions of Carlos and Aryton are a true reflection of where the Panigale is? If so, what is wrong with the bike?

Haga did himself no favours riding that bike, maybe he felt he needed some seat time on a bike before the Suzuka race but his choice of mount was very dubious.

Anyway, maybe with Sykes back in the lead, Guintoli will now be forced to visibly get the elbows out – I’m not saying that he’s been cruising by the way!

In supersport, I thought Lowes did very well to salvage a podium in the restarted race.

Regarding the future of the big class then, what do we think of the proposed rules for 2014? As in the prototype championship, it seems the large elephant in the room with the bespoke ultra expensive bike electronics kit in his hand was quietly ignored when it's blatantly clear it's one of the major contributors to costs.

The manufacturers having invested in the technology understandably want to protect their investments and have allegedly threatened to go away if their trick electronics are taken away, so instead, we've got a few tentative plans to try and reduce costs by capping bike costs, limiting engines etc.

It's a start and maybe it will work in the end because it may turn out to be financially not viable to spend large amounts on the electronics if you then cannot make it come in under the cost cap, there's also the prospect of being obliged to provide x amount of the same spec bike to others through outright purchasing or leasing.

I can see where the manufacturers are coming from though, if they are forced down the standard ECU route, where else do they have to use as a laboratory for bike development? Not all of them can go prototype racing – successfully and those things aren’t sold in the showrooms.

Last edited by cg7aa; 1 Jul 2013 at 18:22. Reason: typo
Old 1 Jul 2013, 23:17 (Ref:3272681)   #103
cg7aa
Veteran

A little off topic...does anyone know the circumstances of Alessia Polita's accident at Misano a couple of weeks ago, the Italian translations I'm getting online don't make much sense.
Old 2 Jul 2013, 06:50 (Ref:3272752)   #104
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No need at all for a standard ECU in WSB or GP in my eyes, all they need to do is ban the electronics as they have in BSB.

As you can see there, it hasnt meant loads of sliding and loads of highsides, it just has meant guys who have the experience to look after a tyre have prospered, and those that cant like Lowes have learned.

I think Dorna clearly have a deal with someone like Marelli, as they are trying to push thing standard ECU thing out everywhere, and even most of the CRT teams arent interested.

That is simply bonkers as the electronics are a vital part of any bike, and the people that make them ahve to have a development cycle so brining in a standard ECU is like bringing in a standard tyre, but every bike runs differetn ECU's all empoying loads of poeple anbd running different chips etc, so this is a stupid idea.

Far better to have a decent software install that worls on all ECU's and is untamperable with, thats hte way forward surely.

But whoever iswriting the rules is playing at it, because they are scared of losing manufacturers, whne in reality there are no factory teams anyway, Suzuki, Honda and KAwasaki are run through importers not from their Japanese bases. Only Aprilia are true factory
Old 3 Jul 2013, 11:15 (Ref:3273312)   #105
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
A little off topic...does anyone know the circumstances of Alessia Polita's accident at Misano a couple of weeks ago, the Italian translations I'm getting online don't make much sense.
I heard she crashed on the same corner that Wayne Rainey did - doing the same damage
Old 5 Jul 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3274253)   #106
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
I heard she crashed on the same corner that Wayne Rainey did - doing the same damage
That is terrible, just beyond awful!
Old 5 Jul 2013, 13:01 (Ref:3274257)   #107
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/45-s...lita-side.html
Old 21 Jul 2013, 13:58 (Ref:3279994)   #108
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we just had one race today as that started in dry but ended in rain and also i sad to report that a world supersport rider was killed today.
Old 21 Jul 2013, 23:33 (Ref:3280283)   #109
cg7aa
Veteran

RIP Andrea Antonelli. Horrendous incident and a messy weekend really (superbike race one wasn't really a race; more like survival), it's awful when a rider falls and you know there are others following un-sighted, this time they had spray to contend with too.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3280444)   #110
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saw that & noticed 1 rider in the middle of the track with lots of spray bikes behind?
We get Steve Martin & Jonathan Green (i think his name is) commentating & that peanut (Green) was saying everyone was ok blah blah blah...
Sad news, RIP Andrea...
Old 22 Jul 2013, 14:18 (Ref:3280499)   #111
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
One of the worst commentators I have ever heard, he just shouts and shouts and shouts more, and gets most of it wrong!

Martin is not much better, doesnt offer much especially now his best mate Bayliss has retired.

He works for Flammini with Green sadly, so aint getting rid of them for ages, theya re on the gravy train like most in racing.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 02:52 (Ref:3281333)   #112
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
BMW gone at the end of the season - when are Yamaha back?
Old 25 Jul 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3281442)   #113
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think BMW are being groomed for GP to be honest, always have been, they were just proving they could build a decent bike, they sold a ton of them and now are on their way to a CRT based bike I would expect.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 19:04 (Ref:3281574)   #114
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the past WSBK has seemed quite good at shrugging off the withdrawal of full factory teams and getting on as usual, but BMW might be tougher. That's Ducati, Yamaha and now BMW who are gone, all having had full works teams three years ago. Hope privateer teams cover it as well as they did with Ducati - I've always still considered Althea then Alstare as works teams especially given Checa's successes on them.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 15:54 (Ref:3286171)   #115
cg7aa
Veteran

Interesting races form Silverstone yesterday I thought.

You've got to catch the Supersport 1000 race if you can, close and aggressive racing aplenty!

Watch Barrier's move on La Marra and see what you think.

Sam Lowes has gone up a lot in my estimation, he is one grounded human being (his parents must be very proud!), I thought he handled himself so well post-race given the incident between him and Kenan. Others would have been making such a scene but he was so measured. Impressive.

As for the incident itself, well, it was a hard move by Kenan but did it deserve the level of criticism some commentators gave it? Some (Kenan's supporters perhaps) might argue the commentators going for their man based on past misdemeanours.

On a personal level, I was a little disappointed with Sykes' weekend. I thought he sounded far more 'corporate' than ever, I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing but perhaps he's seeing things slightly different now after having his contract renewed. For me it was hard to believe that his drop in pace over the course of both races was simply due to 'not taking too much risk because there's a championship at stake' which seemed to be the line he was putting forward, once the conditions changed, they stayed consistent but he fell further and further back, perhaps it was a setup problem for his particular bike (Baz went well) but he seemed reluctant to point the finger at that.

Yes, play it safe in iffy conditions but how many points can you allow to drop because of that, maybe he’s confident he’s got the pace over the season to make up a deficit but that’s gambling a bit, it assumes all other variables will stay the same but that isn’t a guarantee; Aprilia could find something, tyres could change, injuries and incidents could come into play and then what? You’re left rueing the missed opportunities when you’re half a point behind come the end of the season.

I’ll shut up now.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 10:36 (Ref:3286463)   #116
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Sykes won't win the title if he is that cautious - Guintoli seems to consistent for that. Saying that, there is a long way to go in this championship & the top 4 are still realistic contenders...
Sam Lowes did handle himself very well, and so did Kenan in the after race interview - knowing the sort of rider Kenan is, he was always going to have another shot once Sam passed him. Any negative comments towards him where only coming from English speaking commentators, but anyone who saw the incident would probably say it was a racing incident...
Old 6 Aug 2013, 11:48 (Ref:3286496)   #117
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Kenan is a dirty rider, always has been, and whether you are English or not, pushing people off while keeping your bike upright is simply dirty. Same as Rossi, same as Marquez. He knew it which was why he was so contrite after on the slow lap, in the parc ferme.

I think if Sam had not been able to get going there would have been a protest, its what comes from having a bike advantage and being outridden by a better rider sadly.

I don't mind Kenan, but he is and always been a dirty rider, remember Foret at aragon? And a few other instances, he doesn't think twice about putting his bike in an area where he has the best chance of staying on if he hits someone

Sam's moves were fair and clean, this bloke is simply a thug, and Sam needs to learn this and take heed of it as he won't think twice about taking him out to win a title, it's all he has as he can't ride anything else.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3292646)   #118
cg7aa
Veteran

For those remotely interested, the Indian round has been cancelled.

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/5-sb...cellation.html
Old 23 Aug 2013, 08:02 (Ref:3292949)   #119
Aurora
Rookie

Aurora should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I understand it the problem with India is due to the teams having to pay import duty on the value of their equipment when they enter the country, this can then be claimed back when they leave. Most other countries use carnets or waivers to avoid the admin nightmare that the Indian system causes.

While I'm here what do people think about Dorna changing the regulations limiting the performance of WSBK bikes? Personally I'm all for it if it means that we get more manufacturers and teams on the grid. Currently it's a fairly safe bet to say that the winner in any round will be someone from one of the factory teams, Aprilia, BMW or Kawasaki.
Old 1 Sep 2013, 21:14 (Ref:3297500)   #120
cg7aa
Veteran

I don't know about you but I think we dodged two bullets today in superbike race 1. Very frightening incidents. Very relieved at the outcomes.

Get well soon to Rea, Camier and Baz.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 06:26 (Ref:3297648)   #121
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Lol, was there a world superbike race yesterday?

I seem to have forgotte about that champion ships Im afraid
Old 2 Sep 2013, 11:35 (Ref:3297747)   #122
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Lol, was there a world superbike race yesterday?

I seem to have forgotte about that champion ships Im afraid
It feels like I'm the only one watching these days! The superstock 1000 race was quite entertaining, well worth catching that if you can.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3297923)   #123
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Always the best race along with WSS

Sadly I can watch any of it s it is not repeated anywhere other than Eurosport, and my Eurosport Player hasn't worked since they upgraded the software a couple of months ago

Something I am currently in disarray about as I cant seem to find anyone to complain too about it.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 14:04 (Ref:3301493)   #124
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
I don't know about you but I think we dodged two bullets today in superbike race 1. Very frightening incidents. Very relieved at the outcomes.

Get well soon to Rea, Camier and Baz.

Injury updates:

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/5-sb...urburging.html

Sounds like all the recent criticism of race control decisions has been taken onboard:

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/5-sb...mmission-.html

On another sombre note, I wondered why La Marra was not at the Nurburgring, there was a brief mention by the commentators wishing him well, this is why...

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/5-sb...-is-awake.html
Old 17 Sep 2013, 12:17 (Ref:3305190)   #125
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Small field it seemed turned up in Turkey for WSBK i thought...