Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Feb 2006, 16:38 (Ref:1526297)   #1
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMMC presentation to Motorsports Council

On the 9th Feb George Copeland and I gave the presentation to the Motorsports Council that I had mentioned earlier on this forum.

Motorsports Council is made up of the chairmen of all the MSA committees, and are responsible, ultimately, for the governance of the sport in this country.

Below you will find a link to Chairman's page on the BMMC website that, in its turn, will allow you to download the actual presentation.

The presentation was very well received - indeed we received many compliments from the attendees stating that the message was absolutely on target and that they needed to take heed of our comments and act upon our suggestions.

After the official part of the meeting, George and I had some very constructive dicussions with members of the Council and, I hope, we will be able to make some very important announcements in the not too distant future that will enhance our voice in the sport - and that voice will be on behalf of all marshals, not just the members of the BMMC.

Alan Gow, who has taken over as Chairman of the MSA, expressly stated that he wanted me to say to you that they had listened to what we had to say and that they would be taking action on some of our suggestions. I will keep you all informed of progress.

George and I were followed by Sue Sanders-Peppitt who gave an update on progress in the Volunteers in Motorsport initiative. Also at Council were Jonathan Palmer, giving a presentation on MSV, and James Tucker from the EERC who spoke on his vision for the future of endurance racing in this country - and very exciting it will be if he is successful. Last year he spent over £10,000 on marshals' facilities and benefits at the Silverstone 24 hour race - and he intends to do the same, if not more, this year.

Have a look the web page and at the presentation and let me have any comments - usual address - bmmc.chair@btinternet.com.

http://www.marshals.co.uk/ChairmansPage.php

http://www.marshals.co.uk/files/MSACouncilFeb2006.pps

Chris Hobson
National Chairman
British Motorsort Marshals Club
Old 19 Feb 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1526329)   #2
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that many people who read this site must appreciate what George Copeland and Chris Hobson are doing for the Marshals of the United Kingdom, and those that cross the various waters to assist. Although, they are doing it for the British Motorsports Marshals Club, ultimately, ALL of you will benefit.
Come on; Guys and Gals, those of you that are not Members - Join us!!!
The BMMC is THE only Club whose only directive to promote Marshals! Other well meaning organisations have a priority to run Race Meetings and Champioships; the BMMC does not!
Old 19 Feb 2006, 17:53 (Ref:1526334)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent powerpoint presentation - thankyou!

Off topic....but......is there any chance of making the final page (The Jim Bamber caracatures) available as a download for wallpaper?
Old 19 Feb 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1526357)   #4
pforrester
Racer

England
Leek, Staffs
pforrester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear hear. Excellent presentation.

Let's hope it results in some positive action in the near future.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1526368)   #5
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard Chris and Sue give their talks/presentations at the BMMC Sth Mids training day and we were well impressed by what they had to say.

And I would echo the calls to join the BMMC as it is the Marshals' club and we are its priority, not racing organisation.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1526374)   #6
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent presentation - very valid points raised - lets hope action follows.

Well done BMMC , keep up the good work, in past have questioned why I bother to pay the membershio fee but nice to know the needs of the orange army is being looked after
Old 19 Feb 2006, 19:04 (Ref:1526377)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Off topic....but......is there any chance of making the final page (The Jim Bamber caracatures) available as a download for wallpaper?
Deleted at the request of the poster...

......or just PM me!

Last edited by Stephen Green; 19 Feb 2006 at 21:05.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1526387)   #8
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Slightly off-topic, but PLEASE respect Jim Bamber's copyright - he is a great supporter of the marshals and I do not want us to take advantage of that! - Nor do I want to take the bread from his mouth ( or the coins from his pocket!)

Thanks

Chris
Old 19 Feb 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1526404)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
And I would echo the calls to join the BMMC as it is the Marshals' club and we are its priority, not racing organisation.
I renewed and also got the Good Lady Wife to renew after 4 years in the wilderness!
Old 19 Feb 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1526414)   #10
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
I renewed and also got the Good Lady Wife to renew after 4 years in the wilderness!
welcome back Mark and Good Lady Wife
Old 19 Feb 2006, 19:58 (Ref:1526416)   #11
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
welcome back Mark and Good Lady Wife

Thanks...........but I never went away!

13th consecutive year as a BMMC member!
Old 19 Feb 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1526430)   #12
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have just printed off the membership forms for BMMC and will be sending them off later today (althought main interests this year will be speed events and rally) if the cadet marshal scheme kicks off next year as hoped and as discussed by Sue sanders Peppit at the Rally training event I recently attended then will have another junior member as well so will be able to graduate to the bank then
Old 19 Feb 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1526432)   #13
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you, Matthews Dad! Our Sister Club, the British Rally Marshals Club can also look after your other disciplines!
Old 19 Feb 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1526459)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews Dad
Have just printed off the membership forms for BMMC and will be sending them off later today (althought main interests this year will be speed events and rally) if the cadet marshal scheme kicks off next year as hoped and as discussed by Sue sanders Peppit at the Rally training event I recently attended then will have another junior member as well so will be able to graduate to the bank then
In that case keep your eyes peeled for the trips to Prodrive later this year. Dave Richards is continuing his support of British marshals just as he did at BAR.Honda
Old 19 Feb 2006, 21:23 (Ref:1526472)   #15
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok you've convinced me. I'll join when i come back from the US. A very simple question but I assume you can come across at the same grade? Apologies for what may be a stupidly easy question...
Old 19 Feb 2006, 21:28 (Ref:1526479)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Jon,

Your grade is an MSA one so yes, it would be the same. If you wish to upgrade, then you may wish to change your Primary Club to the BMMC once you have joined, that way we can make sure your upgrades go through efficiently.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1526521)   #17
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a relief. Not too dumb a question I hope...

Good idea to join beforehand I reckon. I'm back from the US on the 7th so as soon as pay day comes round I'll do it.
Old 19 Feb 2006, 22:20 (Ref:1526537)   #18
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can I just add my congratulations on an excellent presentation? Hope it does the trick
Old 19 Feb 2006, 23:44 (Ref:1526590)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perfect. Says it all, and in the way we want it said. We - I - sometimes come over as negative, which is not really the intention. Your presentation puts it the way I mean it.

Good work. Good luck.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1526768)   #20
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Chris's efforts:
Old 20 Feb 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1527043)   #21
Gordon Knight
Racer

England
Monton, Eccles, Manchester
Gordon Knight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Chris & George.!!
Have to agree with Number Six's assessment...a definite ten tenths.!!
Old 20 Feb 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1527389)   #22
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Excellent - positive, objective and to the point.

One question, in the slide headed 'Business Case' who are the 'customers' who should pay for the marshals expenses etc?
Old 20 Feb 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1527455)   #23
Chris Hobson
Veteran

To quote Jonathan Palmer - there are two types of "Customer" for race circuits - those who pay to drive and those who pay to watch them. They provide the income for the circuits and the organisers, hence, from that revenue comes the cost of all motorsport organisation - and that includes the cost of the marshals.

We are not suggesting a direct levy (although we once suggested a £1.00 "tax" on all entries that would go direct to the marshals), but just that the cost of providing our services is partially covered in whatever way will encourage more people to become marshals and more existing marshals to attend more events and remain in the sport for longer. An example is the £10,000 spent by James Tucker at the last 24 hour race at Silverstone.

Note: There is NO WAY we are advocating charging for our services, just a contribution that we can use to help make you guys (and gals) feel more appreciated.

Regards

Chris Hobson
National Chairman
British Motorsport Marshals Club
Old 20 Feb 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1527467)   #24
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hobson

We are not suggesting a direct levy (although we once suggested a £1.00 "tax" on all entries that would go direct to the marshals)
Why can't we ask for a £1:00 "Tax" for our "Services"?

Airlines charge a Security Fee so they can pay for the extra costs of having someone watch over & protect us!

I know the competitors pay a helluva lot of dosh to play out, but I'm sure they take comfort in knowing that, if all goes belly-up, there is someone (us) to come to their aid. So, would they really begrudge an extra £1 to contribute to the provisions of those who could potentially save their life?
Old 20 Feb 2006, 22:37 (Ref:1527471)   #25
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
No driver I have ever spoken to has even come close to saying (s)he wouldn't pay a bit extra if they thought it was going direct to the marshals and/or training, in fact most are in favour of it.