Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 25 Oct 2006, 21:42 (Ref:1749413)   #226
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I just take some time to bring our debate back to the subject (and perhaps to calm things down a wee bit)?

Facts:-

• George and I made a presentation in February to highlight the present situation in marshalling.
• As a result the MSA decided to appoint a rep to Council - not one of us, but an existing Council member.
• The MSA is to debate the setting up of subcommittees under the Training Steering Group, constitution still to be decided.
• No decisions will be made until after February 2007 Motor Sports Council meeting.
• From the posts on this thread opinion is very much divided as to the way forward and whether or not the MSA appointed rep will actually represent marshals.

As Chairman of the Marshals Club I am obviously disappointed that the MSA did not consider me or George to be a suitable representative – and I intend to continue pursuing the MSA to ensure we really do get representation. But what I do not want is to see marshal set against marshal. We may have differing opinions, but we are all volunteers who enjoy our hobby. We are members of differing clubs, we marshal differing forms of motorsport, but we must stick together.

So where do we go from here?

Can I make the following suggestion?

• Make your feelings known to your club’s committees – no matter which club(s) you belong to.
• Let them know what you want ensure you enjoy your marshalling and what needs fixing.
• Ask them to put your comments to Nicky Moffitt – and give you feedback on the response they get.
• Pursue your club rep and let me know if you get resolution and let me know if you do not. Please!
• Treat me in the same way – feed me what you want and let me try to get resolution.
• I promise to feedback the results to you.

Please trust that all George and I want is to ensure marshals are truly represented by marshals, no matter who that representative may be.

We can only move forward if the MSA see us as a strong, united body – one that has a positive contribution to make to the sport – the more we slag each other off, the less attention they will pay to us.

I know this sounds hard, but can we bring this thread to a conclusion?

Chris Hobson
National Chairman BMMC
Old 25 Oct 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1749415)   #227
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you better lay a buffet on for the AGM Chris!!
Old 27 Oct 2006, 23:36 (Ref:1751591)   #228
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSA Response

My original question:

Quote:
Dear Sirs, (or precisely Colin Hilton)

Nicky Moffitt has stated tonight (in a phone call) that he has no intention of taking his role of “Marshal’s Representative” in the ‘long-term’. May I therefore ask you, as a marshal with over 20yrs experience, just why you have chosen to appoint him over some other more committed members of the marshalling fraternity who are more than willing to commit themselves to the ‘long-term’?

I look forward to your response,

Sincerely yours,

Stuart Hill

MSA Register No: 178731

just sent to the MSA via email. I'll post the reply, if any.
and here is my answer.......

Quote:
Dear Stuart,

Thank you for your email dated 22nd October addressed to our Race mailbox.

Over the last thirty years Nicky Moffitt has been appointed as a Marshal, Clerk of the Course and MSA Steward. He is also Secretary of the Association of Northern Ireland Car Clubs, Chairman of the MSA Regional Committee and a member of the Motor Sports Council.

As Chairman of the Regional Committee at Council Nicky represents all 750 member clubs and the 15 Regional Associations. MSA Marshals could not ask for a more dedicated, committed and articulate representative on the Council well able to air their views and champion the needs of the Marshals and The Marshals' Club. This additional role for Nicky of Marshals' Representative is temporary whilst the Council reviews its committee structure to ensure that the needs of Marshals and all volunteers are properly represented.

Kind regards.

Colin

COLIN HILTON

Chief Executive

The Motor Sport Association

Tel: 01753 765 026

Internet communications are not secure and therefore MSA does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of MSA.

THE ROYAL AUTOMOBILE CLUB MOTOR SPORTS ASSOCIATION LIMITED

MOTOR SPORTS HOUSE, RIVERSIDE PARK, COLNBROOK, SL3 0HG, ENGLAND

TEL: 01753 765000 FAX: 01753 682938 WEB: WWW.MSAUK.ORG

REGISTERED OFFICE AS ABOVE. REGISTERED NUMBER 1344829 ENGLAND

up to you guys and gals now.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 23:51 (Ref:1751595)   #229
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Eric Ridler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This additional role for Nicky of Marshals' Representative is temporary whilst the Council reviews its committee structure to ensure that the needs of Marshals and all volunteers are properly represented.
Excuse me! Why has it taken six months to only make a temporary appointment?
Temporary would indicate an interim decision to satisfy an urgent need not six months of secrecy then dump someone in the job to stop the numerous requests for a decision by Chris Hobson and George Copeland.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1751803)   #230
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Never trust anyone who replies in orange!
Old 28 Oct 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1752085)   #231
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What does the "750 member clubs & 15 regional associations" mean? I assume this does not refer to the 750MC.

If the MSA allows so many clubs (but fair enough it might include karting and sprint clubs etc) then have they considered marshal support? More clubs usually means more meetings (on the same weekend) meaning more marshals out of the same (getting smaller) pool.

The MSA keeps saying that it appreciates the "lack of marshal" problem, but it does seem very keen on introducing new series that earn it money without considering the "marshal effect". Essay in 1000 words or more......
Old 28 Oct 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1752116)   #232
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Eric Ridler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What does the "750 member clubs & 15 regional associations" mean? I assume this does not refer to the 750MC.
Shelagh

This means all the clubs Nicky Moffat is responsible for and nothing to do with organising any more events as such. Don't forget most of these clubs are only very small and probably organise many of the small events - sprints, autotests, sporting trials etc.
My concern is how can Nicky Moffatt have any idea about what marshals needs with his terms of reference being so widespread.
Also taking Mark's tack why did Hilton reply in ORANGE - trying to be a smartarse or what?
Old 28 Oct 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1752235)   #233
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Hilton of the MSA
MSA Marshals could not ask for a more dedicated, committed and articulate representative on the Council well able to air their views and champion the needs of the Marshals and The Marshals' Club
Is he even a member? I think we could indeed ask for a more dedicated committed and atriculate representive!
Old 28 Oct 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1752258)   #234
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by The STIG
I think we could indeed ask for a more dedicated committed and atriculate representive!
We DID didn't we?
Old 28 Oct 2006, 22:52 (Ref:1752279)   #235
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At the risk of being controversial, and much in agreement with various comments posted, I suspect we're not helping our case. I'm going to close this for the time being pending some further discussions and merge it with the other thread.

Please don't anyone take it as a slight or a supression of free speach, but I do think it's time to let the reps pass on the depth of feeling that this has raised.

I know I'm going to get slated for it, but I'll live with that for a day or two.