Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jun 2000, 14:39 (Ref:16080)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The organizers of the German GP at Hockenheim have stated that they can no longer afford to continue the GP as it has been in the past. The lack of suitable seating for the massive crowds as well as sponsor support areas is cited as the main reason. The organizers want to eliminate the long straight into the forest and shorten the circuit down to 2.4 miles to make it easier to seat fans. However, Bernie has nixed the idea of altering the track because he says the proposed layout will become boring. He will not grant the organizers a long term contract because of the proposed changes and the organizers will not continue as in past without the changes and additonal sponsorship which requires a long term contract. One suggested solution is to move the event to the new Lausitzring circuit and race there on the road circuit infield. The circuit is located not far from Berlin, a more centrally located hub for sponsors, media, and fan support.

Personally, the Hockenheimring holds so much history for F1 I would just as soon it be left alone. The removal of the long straight would ruin the cachet that the track brings to F1 and would remove the Clark Curve, an area full of past tragedy.
Old 7 Jun 2000, 14:57 (Ref:16082)   #2
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Don't mess with Hockenheim, keep it the way it is, and keep it on the calendar! It's one of the better tracks, with it's characteristic long straight. My personal opinion is that tracks should be altered as little as possible, especially the classic ones. We have enough Mickey Mouse tracks as we have!
Old 7 Jun 2000, 16:27 (Ref:16095)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I dont believe Im about to say this ...but for once i agree with bernie..(Love ya Bernie if your watching )
Hockenhiem is an amzing track after watching the superbikes there last weekend im totally convinced they should leave it the way it is and even get rid of that stupid chicane out the back wich the bikes didnt use...I thought they had already changed for the DTM cars but I may have heard wrong.
Old 7 Jun 2000, 16:45 (Ref:16100)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

They can't do it! Hockenheim is a great track, full of history, and it usually throws up a decent race. It cannot be removed from the calendar!
Old 7 Jun 2000, 17:19 (Ref:16113)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say we launch a campaign. Letters to Bernie, Max et al, trackside banners, on-track scrawlings in white paint.... (haven't we tried this before?)
Old 7 Jun 2000, 18:47 (Ref:16143)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Following Lauda's crash at the Nordsclieffe in '76, there was a public outcry about moving the German GP to Hockenheim. It was seem as boring, bland, slick and arificial. Its strange whow times change our points of view.

That said, I do adore watching races on TV from Hockenheim-it must be dreadful as a spectator but as a TV viewer, its grand.