Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jun 2000, 17:14 (Ref:15848)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, apparently this is what's gonna happen, according to my little elves that I have scouring the depths of the Formula One paddocks and boardrooms.

Montoya, as we know, is contracted to Williams. So is Button. However, JB may now be LOANED to Jordan (much as Fischo was from Benneton). This would work really well from a marketing perspective and JB would fit in well to the Jordan team.

Now here's the weird bit: HHF is now reputedly off to Jaguar to replace the retiring Herbert. BONKERS? But actually it might be a shrude move: Jag is works Ford. Jordan now has a works compatiot, BAR. (BTW wasn't it amusing on Sunday to watch a works Honda being LAPPED by a customer unit?!)

Jordan, besides it's qulifying this weekend, have had a dissapointing start to 2000. Jaguar haven't either, but then again they've been through a HECK of a lot of upheaval recently, and with works money SHOULD improve next season, perhaps winning by 2002. Jordan, unless they set up some new engine deal, are unlikley to progress to such a degree.

Now quite WHY Trulli would move to Benneton remains a mystery. However, it is, apparently, increasingly likley, again due to the works money, this time coming in from Renault. Where does this leave Jordan?

Trulli has been linked with Ferrari. However, this is, in fact, unlikley to occur at least until TGF retires. Barrichello MAY stay next year to be replaced in 2002 by RALF SCHUMACHER. Allegedly the contract is already done with Ralf recieving a reputed $20mil. a SEASON. It is quite possible Rubinho MAY return to Jordan in 2002. Complicated, huh?!

What do you reckon?
Old 6 Jun 2000, 17:16 (Ref:15851)   #2
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why on earth would any driver - especially Frentzen, go to Jaguar??? Their points on Sunday were simply from attrition - at any point this season have the Swerve and Herbert impressed??? No.

Stay where you are HHF. Besides, the cars look far nicer.

Old 6 Jun 2000, 17:26 (Ref:15856)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually, Tristan's theory makes sense, at least with regard to HHF. Jordan cannot remain competitive without a works deal, and despite the speculation, don't seem poised to get any help from Honda.
Ford will not allow Jag to languish forever and they are keen to get a frontline driver. I would have thought DC but at his current pace abnd with Hakinnen so uninspiring, I doubt McLaren would let DC go. Hence, Frentzen remains the one real choice.

Trulli at Benetton makes far less sense. Flav adores Fisi and I doubt the Regie would tolerate two Italian drivers on the team.
(Which begs thge question about whether we might see a re-uniting of Alesi and Briatore-oooh ugly image)
Old 6 Jun 2000, 17:47 (Ref:15864)   #4
Tristan
Veteran

...which suddenly begs the question: WHO'S GONNA BE AT MCLAREN NEXT YEAR? No WAY Panis. NO WAY!! Surely! Do you reckon? Why not!

But seriously folks, should Hakinnen retire (and judging be recent grumpieniess and form is actually a viable possibility) WHO'S GONNA FILL THE PLACE?

My hot money goes on Heidfeld (not that I think it's a good idea)
Old 6 Jun 2000, 17:58 (Ref:15873)   #5
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, Liz has been saying Rubens all along...

Personally, I'd go with Panis.
Old 6 Jun 2000, 23:22 (Ref:15935)   #6
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HHF going to Jaguar is pure economics on Ford's part. Having a german driver will give them a larger profile in a country where their sales are not the tops. But having two No.2 drivers (Irvine & HHF) does not improve their chances of winning. Hopefully they will pull out the wallet and sign JV.
Old 7 Jun 2000, 00:47 (Ref:15962)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts

Hey, I didn't say IT!

Duck, enemy-ace, they're on your tail and closing.
Old 7 Jun 2000, 00:54 (Ref:15966)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Benetton owns Trulli. He's been on loaners to other teams but his contract belongs to them. At least it did.

While I am convinced Rubens will get that McLaren drive some day, this year probably it's Trulli to Ferrari, Rubens to Jordan (he will be happy there), and everyone else stays put.

Some day, when TGF finally retires, Trulli and Fisi at Ferrari. Two Italian boys in Two Red Cars. This is tifosi heaven.

As for Jaguar, put Button Spice and Eddie there and who cares if they win races, they will get enough PR for Jaguar that Ford will be happy.
Old 7 Jun 2000, 07:32 (Ref:16019)   #9
Ed-f1
Racer

Ed-f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli was offered a drive for Ferrari for this year but turned it down because he didn't want to be team mate (no. 2)to Michael Schumacher. He thought he would be better off at Jordan where the whole team doesn't revolve around one driver. Therefore Trulli is unlikely to go to Ferrari at least until Schumacher M retires (or leaves Ferrari).
Old 7 Jun 2000, 10:40 (Ref:16040)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sensible boy. Now how can we make TGF retire?
Old 7 Jun 2000, 17:04 (Ref:16106)   #11
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's how....

Put Alesi and JV in the McLarens and make TGF BEG for mercy.

Old 7 Jun 2000, 17:13 (Ref:16111)   #12
Tristan
Veteran

But NEITHER is going to happen. EVER.
Old 7 Jun 2000, 17:44 (Ref:16126)   #13
renniesmill
Rookie

renniesmill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irvine to McLaren, swapping DC, so Jackie will be happy (another Scot)....

As Irvine once said, "there is no way to beat TGF in the same team, you need a faster car" was he hinting McLaren?

JV to McLaren only if JV request less money than Irvine...

come on, hit me, hit me!
Old 7 Jun 2000, 20:50 (Ref:16180)   #14
Tristan
Veteran

Whilst on the surface your argument seems ****, I actually think you could be on to something. Certainly possible for 2002 if the Jags performance doesn't up dramatically next year.
Old 7 Jun 2000, 21:50 (Ref:16194)   #15
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Robin Plummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£20mil for Ralf, you are having a laugh a) He has never one a race let a lone a championship. b) That's only £5 Million less than his brother. c) Can Ferrari really afford £45 a year in just drivers salarys??? I don't think so. Remember Mansell's negotiations for the 1993 season at Willaims with prost on board?. d) Ralf allready drives for a team that is only capable of running one car properly so why would he want to drive for another? He would end up with all the unrealiable bits and a contact to pull over at will and the right to exercise incorrect race stratergy's if your doing too well? Just ask Irvine, Salo and Barrichello. Mr Cyinical!!
Old 9 Jun 2000, 16:10 (Ref:16452)   #16
Tristan
Veteran

Looks like it's gonna happen then folks. Autosport have finally picked up on this rumour (which I got BEFORE them - tee hee). Jordan seem ready for Button, HHF to Jag. However, NONE OF THIS IS YET A DONE DEAL. I MAY YET BE PROVED WRONG!
Old 9 Jun 2000, 21:51 (Ref:16500)   #17
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Tristan, what you say makes loads of sense.
Without an Engine deal with a major manufacturer, Jordan's fortunes are questionable-I for one doubt that Honda will come through for them.
Despite their bad show so far this season, Jaguar is headed up-Ford has too much invested to let the team fail. Frentzen seems ready to knuckle under more and put in the effort required-Ford could be just the answer.
Old 10 Jun 2000, 00:44 (Ref:16519)   #18
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This will be the grid for next year. I think.

McLaren - Mika Hakkinen and David Coulthard
Ferrari - Michael Schumacher and rubens Barrichello
Williams - Ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya
Jordan - Jarno Trulli and Jenson Button
Jaguar - Eddie Irvine and Heinz Harald Frentzen
Benetton - Giancarlo Fisichella and Antonio Pizzonia
BAR - Jacques Villeneuve and Riccardo Zonta
Arrows - Pedro de la Rosa and Jos Verstappen
Prost - Jean Alesi and Nick Heidfeld
Sauber - Mika Salo and Pedro Paulo Diniz
Minardi - Marc Gene and Giorgio Vinella
Old 10 Jun 2000, 00:50 (Ref:16520)   #19
Liz
Veteran

I don't know who Vinella is - but otherwise it looks like a very intriguing grid! I HOPE my Rico gets another year, but I don't somehow think it is going to be ... BAT got him this year because they want a Brazilian in that seat, but he has not shown them anything much so far ... even I, who like him and think he will someday make a standout F1 racer, do not think he's going to be in that seat next year.
Old 10 Jun 2000, 02:02 (Ref:16525)   #20
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very plausible indeed, Gerard.

Maybe, Liz, Zonta loses that seat at BAR. Wouldn't Luciano Burti be a appropriate replacement, being Brazilian and all and super quick too. Don't think his talent can be neglected next year.
Old 10 Jun 2000, 02:24 (Ref:16529)   #21
Liz
Veteran

What about Manning? He's their test driver now - wouldn't they be likely to give him a chance first? They do seem to think he's awfully quick.

I like Burti myself - he's got a nose like Alain Prost which means he's probably very fast!
Old 10 Jun 2000, 07:05 (Ref:16554)   #22
Ed-f1
Racer

Ed-f1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from the Montoya/Button/Frentzen deal that we've all been talking about, that is just this years grid with 2 small changes. No spot for Panis, Webber, Junquiera or Sarrazin you reckon? Another year at Ferrari for Barrichello? I'd say only if he improves for the rest of the season. When was the last time Arrows had an unchanged driver line up from one season to the next?

We're all so obsessed talking about next seasons driver line up. What about this year? Any changes before the Malaysian GP? It's been a while since we got even this far into the championship without a single driver change.