Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jun 2000, 15:13 (Ref:16599)   #1
renniesmill
Rookie

renniesmill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The traditional colour of the tyres on Formula One cars, and any car for that matter is black, however, Michelin, who are set to enter the Formula one arena next year, have hinted at introducing a new colour scheme.

There is no technical reason why the tyres have to be black, they could actually be any colour of the rainbow and Michelins proposal to introduce different colours is mainly intended to make their products easily recognisable from that of their competitor, Bridgestone.

There is even talk of the French tyre giant adapting each set to the colour scheme of the cars they are intended for."

wow... it would be great!! will it not?
Old 10 Jun 2000, 15:16 (Ref:16601)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Feh.
Old 10 Jun 2000, 15:19 (Ref:16602)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about whitewall F1 tyres?
Old 10 Jun 2000, 17:48 (Ref:16614)   #4
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you bet the FIA bring out a rule against it? Like they did with BAR's dual livery.
Old 10 Jun 2000, 21:46 (Ref:16631)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"But I can't drive that car, the tires clash with my racing suit!"

I can see a few reasons for it (you'd know whose tire it was that just bounced into your grandstand) and a lot of reasons against it (incredibly cheap-looking fashion statement type micshegoss, I think.)

Short answer: What Eero said.

Old 11 Jun 2000, 00:31 (Ref:16654)   #6
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh no, it will look stupid! Imagine yellow tyres on F1 car. Yuk. I doubt FIA will allow it, they banned the Tyrrell-towers in '98 because it looked terrible, I guess they will do the same, blaming it on safety of course...
Old 11 Jun 2000, 11:06 (Ref:16713)   #7
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

*bleh.....cack*

NOT likely....
Old 11 Jun 2000, 11:53 (Ref:16718)   #8
DC
Rookie

DC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi im new and this is my first post! I think it would be cool! Imagine a Jordan with Yellow Tyres and Black Grooves! Or a Ferrari with Red Tyres! It would be Smart, but i feel the same as RIKB the FIA will come out with a new rule to combat it!
Old 11 Jun 2000, 16:52 (Ref:16757)   #9
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The frightening thing about the whole idea is that we would then have coloured tyres available for ordinary road cars- a must-have for all boy racers/rice boys etc!!
Old 11 Jun 2000, 18:16 (Ref:16765)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think of the drama: you puncture a tire late at night in the country - and trudge your way to the nearest all night garage (yeah right, but humour me) and lo and behold they have only blue tires and your car is fitted with a full set of beautiful mauve rondelles ... what to do, what to do?

This will go the same way as the Oakland Seals' attempt to make their hockey team wear gold skates. And good riddance.
Old 11 Jun 2000, 21:05 (Ref:16769)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think it will work simply because it is something we never saw on commercial cars... if there's no special reason for tyres being black... why the industry never selled coloured tyres before ?
Maybe because it will be hard to fit all 4 tyres in the same color, if one of them blows an you have to buy another one...
"Sorry Sir, we don;t have a pink one... maybe you get a purple one instead ?"
Nah !!!!
Old 11 Jun 2000, 21:41 (Ref:16775)   #12
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to 10 Tenths, DC!

There is nothing in the regulations that says tyres have to be black.
There are two rumors doing the rounds at the moment.
The first is Michelin will have full-coloured tyres, i.e. blue, red, green or yellow etc.
The second rumor is there will only be sponsor logo's on the tyres.

If they were actually going to produce coloured tyres, think of the extra costs this would bring.
A friend of mine who's working at Vredestein, a Dutch tyre company, says a coloured tyre will cost 30% more than a black tyre.
He also said black tyres are carbon based and coloured tyres have to be silicon based. That could mean a whole new production process. I don't know if this is true because when he starts talking in a technical way, my ears automatically close So I could have misunderstood this.

He then related to a test Vredestein did some time ago with coloured bicycle tyres.
He said the outcome of the test was that coloured tyres did not have the same amount of grip black tyres had.

I believe neither of these rumors are true.
In my opinion it's just a publicity stunt by Michelin under the motto anything that gets you in the papers.
Old 12 Jun 2000, 09:09 (Ref:16821)   #13
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

With all due respect to Michelin, it must be a joke. Who's going to pay to sponsor tyres when you'll only be able to actually see the logo for about 15 seconds in any one race??
Old 12 Jun 2000, 09:55 (Ref:16823)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How about different colour tyres to show cars that have pitted ?
Old 12 Jun 2000, 13:24 (Ref:16850)   #15
F1FansClub
Racer

F1FansClub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Super Trouper, that would only make Murray get more muddled up than less muddled up! It would be cool to have them but the FIA, as said before, would not like it! Gerard said Cars had never had coloured wheels and he is right but bikes have got them. The point to take into considiration is that would the tyre wear be the same when they are coloured, etc.

Ally Mitchell
Old 12 Jun 2000, 13:45 (Ref:16858)   #16
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It gets more and more ridiculous all the time, doesn't it ?! Coloured tyres ? Geeez! What a STUPID idea
Old 12 Jun 2000, 16:54 (Ref:16884)   #17
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All I have to say on this is...

Eurgh.