Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Apr 2001, 05:57 (Ref:84317)   #1
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
V8 Supercar testing days, to be more precise.

Does anyone know of a site, or source, that publishes when the teams are going to test? I would love to catch a test day, but I can never find out when or where they are going to be held.

Ta!
Old 24 Apr 2001, 07:37 (Ref:84331)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Once or twice a year there is an AVESCO organised test day with many teams present. The V8 Supercar website would be the place to look if they're running one soon.

Otherwise most teams test on their own and do not publish the days because they don't want people to know. In case we go along and take photos or write reports or collect lap times and publish them on this wonderful device called the internet.
Old 24 Apr 2001, 11:29 (Ref:84378)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was talking with someone who was connected to a race track the other day and was told about the silly buggers that some times go on. For instance, a team might show up at track A in the morning, but it is ****ing down with rain. They phone track B on the other side of town where it is dry, and they are on track B within an hour and a half.

Another thing is that teams cancel at the last minute...all of the time. Because they only have 12 test days during the year, they have to be fully prepared to use them to the max. Thus if they are short an engine, or still repairing a car, they often pull out without too much notice.

One final thing, teams do the bulk of their testing during the week days (obviously not wanting to pay weekend penalty rates), and really, who would want to rock up to the race track during the middle of the week to see one or two cars going around in circles?
Old 24 Apr 2001, 14:41 (Ref:84455)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I know that Wintons main day for testing is Friday but that doesnt stop teams showing up on Tuesdays or whatever...I had a day off a few years ago and took off down to Shepparton for the day..had a nice day and on the way home stopped off at Winton just to have a look around..to my surprise there was the valvoline team testing..there I was having a watch seeing this Commodore power slide out of turns and lock up under brakes and just genrally have some fun but not setting lightning times..i wondered who was driving...was it jason bargwanna or was it Stevn richards ????

the car pulled up at the pits and who jumped out?

I had no idea only that he was pretty damm tall and was not impressed with what he had just done out there...I racked my brain in trying to think who it was but couldnt put a name to the unknown face ...got home and grabbed Auto Action and read that a young Garth Tander had undergone a quick test with the valvoline team....ohhhh i thought ..the formula ford guy...he must be after a ride for bathurst..then the next race came and there he was driving in the races ...boy has he come a long way and i saw him have one of his first ever drives of a V8.
Old 2 May 2001, 07:37 (Ref:87880)   #5
SPL
Rookie

SPL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
testing

Hi Guys
I work for IMS so could tell you when we do some testing.
I'm just wondering why you would want to go to a test? but it's your choice. my email is slivingstone@saabwreck.com.au
Also check out our website at www.saabwreck.com.au and fill in the survey on the downloads page

Thanks
Sam
Old 2 May 2001, 12:41 (Ref:87960)   #6
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I know that Garry Rogers Motorsport were at Calder today. HRT have booked Wakefield for a day either this week or next.
Old 2 May 2001, 13:10 (Ref:87976)   #7
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Scuse me?? Umm, HRT have Calder and PI, and besides, the last time i checked Wakefield was in NSW...

There are a few oddities in the rules, like having a quick run up and down the runway outside of Larrys workshop....is that allowable?

Also there was a massive furore back in 1999 when a privateer entered in a local State Championship meeting. There were all sorts of threats aimed at him because it was an "unauthorised test day"....luckily nothing ever came of it.
Old 3 May 2001, 12:12 (Ref:88298)   #8
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm only saying what I've read. It could be something HSV related but it did say HRT.

SPL, which are IMS's nominated test tracks?
Old 4 May 2001, 06:43 (Ref:88685)   #9
SPL
Rookie

SPL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello
IMS's test tracks are Calder Park and Phillip Island
We tested at Calder on wednsday and it was pretty good
Don't know if we're going to Hidden Valley yet though