Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Jul 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2913912)   #201
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
*UPDATE*

Audi Sport Statement on Porsche’s Le Mans return

“This is the decision of Porsche company, a decision in which Audi is not involved. Audi relishes the prospect of every strong new opponent at Le Mans and in the new FIA Sportscar World Championship. Porsche’s entry into the LMP1 class is evidence of the high level of attraction of sport prototypes”.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2913926)   #202
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thats a bit late...
Old 2 Jul 2011, 14:30 (Ref:2913931)   #203
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
There is still a possibility that the LMP1 class (or whatever the top class will be called in 2014) is something that a car like 918 Coupe could race in. Along with McLarens and the rest of the silhouettes-like cars. Then there's the fuel/energy cap per race idea floating around. It could be like the new GroupC!
Current safety issues could be deal with at the same time. Those new cars can be made as fast or faster than P1 on the straights while being considerably slower in the corners, i.e. no need for risky driving in traffic.
With all these possibilities the rumoured soon arrival of Toyota, Nissan etc doesn't seem as logical timing-wise as Porsche's decision.

Last edited by Pandamasque; 2 Jul 2011 at 14:36.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 15:48 (Ref:2913955)   #204
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2014 P1's will be an evolution of current cars, it's an arena for clean sheet designs, and new technology.

Mclaren race a prototype ever other week, in F1, they can do so in P1, alongside their production based car in GTE.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2913966)   #205
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
2014 P1's will be an evolution of current cars
Got any handy info on the lottery numbers?

2014 is in 3 years. That gives ACO a lot of time to radically change the proposed rules several times back and forth

Quote:
Mclaren race a prototype ever other week, in F1, they can do so in P1, alongside their production based car in GTE.
So far they can't see any point in that, or so they say. It may be the same for others... like Ferrari for example. I bet Porsche would love to race their halo model-based racecar for the overall honours as well! Heck, maybe that's exactly what they have in mind.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2913982)   #206
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
2014 regs are in the process of being put together, manufactuers wouldn't be building cars today if they were due to be scrapped in a couple of years.

The top class is for any manufactuer to demonstrate their technology, it's not reserved for £1m+ hypercars, produced in limited numbers, by a handful of manufactuers.

Mclaren and Ferrari's priority has been F1 for the past thirty years, Porsche, Audi, Peugeot, Toyota, Nissan etc., are who the ACO will be listening too.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2913991)   #207
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
2014 regs are in the process of being put together, manufactuers wouldn't be building cars today if they were due to be scrapped in a couple of years.

The top class is for any manufactuer to demonstrate their technology, it's not reserved for £1m+ hypercars, produced in limited numbers, by a handful of manufactuers.

Mclaren and Ferrari's priority has been F1 for the past thirty years, Porsche, Audi, Peugeot, Toyota, Nissan etc., are who the ACO will be listening too.
I am preatty sure ACO would listen to Ferrari and McLaren as well.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 17:28 (Ref:2913994)   #208
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Especially if they could lure those 2 into P car programs...
Old 2 Jul 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2914004)   #209
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
I am preatty sure ACO would listen to Ferrari and McLaren as well.
It's all about priorites, I doubt Ferrari will ever run a factory team for the Le Mans overall win, they're too busy running F1.

Mclaren, they're starting off in the roadcar business, they'll produce cars for suitable series, i.e GTE and GT3.

What they both have in common is they prioritise F1, unlike VAG, Peugeot etc., they've shown little inclination to put together a major factory program to win Le Mans.

Mclaren's '95 win was a result of the sport being on it's backside, it was a huge bonus for a customer program.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2914006)   #210
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
It's all about priorites, I doubt Ferrari will ever run a factory team for the Le Mans overall win, they're too busy running F1.

Mclaren, they're starting off in the roadcar business, they'll produce cars for suitable series, i.e GTE and GT3.

What they both have in common is they prioritise F1, unlike VAG, Peugeot etc., they've shown little inclination to put together a major factory program to win Le Mans.

Mclaren's '95 win was a result of the sport being on it's backside, it was a huge bonus for a customer program.
what I ment as if Ferrari and McLaren were to aproach ACO about a future LMP1 programe, I am preaty sure their imput would be weighed heavily, for the simple reason that they bring cash and popularitiy to the sport, same as porsche does.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2914009)   #211
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
in the last 20 years porsches priority was gt racing, prototype racing in LMP1 as preaty much abandoned n 1998, and wll return in 2014...thats not real being loyal to the sport now is it
Old 2 Jul 2011, 18:21 (Ref:2914011)   #212
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
in the last 20 years porsches priority was gt racing, prototype racing in LMP1 as preaty much abandoned n 1998, and wll return in 2014...thats not real being loyal to the sport now is it
How can you say Porsche is not loyal to Le Mans!

I'm sorry, but you REALLY need to take a look at how many times Porsche has entered at Le Mans!
Old 2 Jul 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2914013)   #213
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
How can you say Porsche is not loyal to Le Mans!

I'm sorry, but you REALLY need to take a look at how many times Porsche has entered at Le Mans!
18 years of absanece is the reason i said what i did
Old 2 Jul 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2914018)   #214
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Compared to how many years of racing? (and Porsche produced GT2 and Lmp2 cars in the 16years). Porsche kept GT2 alive by themselves until the F430 came.

Porsche is the most loyal marque to Le Mans ever, and bashing them for not making a Overall runner in 16years, is just wrong.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2914044)   #215
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Doesn;t Porcche have the biggest GT2 customer car program....how is that not loyal.....esta loca
Old 2 Jul 2011, 20:18 (Ref:2914045)   #216
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:

how about GT2? or does that not even matter....Your profile pick is the back of a Ferrari......
Old 2 Jul 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2914083)   #217
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Porsche hasnt been loyal to GT or Le Mans ..... now , dude , your certainly taking the pizz now .

16 wins or something like that ..... monster customer support ..... and you come out with that uneducated attitude ..... .....

Whoaaaa ..... hope for your sake someone in the Fiat group decides to rise to the challange .

And .... why should Porsche enter P1 , when the rules obviously favour diesel and they have no such engine ?

Or ..... possibily we will be seeing a Ferrari/Diesel in the not so distant future ..... wise up friend . How putrid does that sound !?!?!?

When was the last time Ferrari entered Le mans with a works team ?

Name one other , who has been more loyal than Porsche ? I dare you ..... just one other that has been as loyal or more loyal ....

ANSWER : YOU CANT !!!

Jesus Arakis , grow up FFS .

Question : How old are you really ..... honestly ?

Last edited by The Badger; 2 Jul 2011 at 23:30.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 23:24 (Ref:2914085)   #218
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Arakis looks to be a very succesful WUM.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2914087)   #219
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I have to agree with Arakis somewhat, 16 years is a very long time.

I think one of Porsche's reasons to come back is that Audi is slowly becoming more synonymous with prototype racing than Porsche. Right now, Porsche is only living off their reputation when it comes to Le Mans..
Old 2 Jul 2011, 23:44 (Ref:2914091)   #220
The Badger
Veteran

And so what ..... Porsche have done more than anyother for sportscar racing ..... and I dont blame them one bit .

Porsche has done more than most , tell me im wrong .

While your at it ..... tell me who has done more ?
Old 2 Jul 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2914092)   #221
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Well, I´m not sure I like the "done something for sports car racing" thing... you make it sound like they did some charitable.

They competed a lot at Le Mans because it gave them great PR, because they sold lots of cars (especially in the Group C era) and made lots of money off their Le Mans reputation.

So yes, they´ve added a lot to the event's heritage but please don't make it sound like anybody owes Porsche anything.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 23:55 (Ref:2914094)   #222
The Badger
Veteran

..... Is your name Richard by any chance ?
Old 2 Jul 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2914095)   #223
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Considering Porsches record at Le Mans, I would hardly call it disloyal and for all we know the powers that be at Stuttgart wanted to try their hands at somehing else. Anyway, Porsche are back, which only confirms their loyalty to the sport.
Old 3 Jul 2011, 00:16 (Ref:2914104)   #224
anthonyvop
Rookie

United States
Miami, Florida
anthonyvop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is even 1/2 as good looking as this Porsche I will be happy

Old 3 Jul 2011, 00:19 (Ref:2914106)   #225
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
They competed a lot at Le Mans because it gave them great PR, because they sold lots of cars (especially in the Group C era) and made lots of money off their Le Mans reputation.

Jaguar wouldnt supply cars ..... just one privateer in Japan called SUNTEC , for one year .

Sauber ..... oh , they wouldnt sell chassis either .

Toyota sold the last years chassis .

Nissan ..... did a good job .

Mazda kept their howler to themselves .

Nobody made their chassis more available than Porsche , which also led to the demise of group C , cuz the others wouldnt supply the machinery .

Porsche have done tenfold more for sporstcar racing than anyone else ..... not through charity ..... but because of good , solid business sense .

They have made more money from GT2 , than Group C ever did .