Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 23 Oct 2017, 17:56 (Ref:3775928)   #151
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite enjoyed it but when you have got so many 2wd cars getting into the GP semis you realise just how little strength in depth there is in British rallycross.

The sport desperately needs to expand its driver numbers and recruit new faces. But what is the championship's answer? Abolish the cheapest category of rallycross (hot hatch) and double the cost to get into the sport.

A newcomer is now looking at BMW minis (you will struggle to find a prepared one), Swifts (not many around - £14k if you commission one) or historic rally cars (good luck finding/building one that can beat that Porsche - and if you do you won't get change out of £30k).

There is no way Clarkson et al could now spend £2k and have a car on the grid for the British championship.

There needs to be a system where people can buy older cheap rally cars (or convert their existing rally car) and run them in rallycross at the best tracks. Building/buying a car that you find can only run in a clubman championship with a few events is not attractive to most people.

Putting Silverstone on the MSA schedule was a great chance to expand driver numbers. But with these rule changes they have blown it.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 07:28 (Ref:3776038)   #152
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is an answer

But I am afraid people wont like it.

Combine MSA and BTRDA.

It is that simple and has been for many years now. But for some pathetic reasons, it does not happen.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 07:32 (Ref:3776041)   #153
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
The real issue at Croft is that it is a really rubbish rallycross track and whilst spectating is excellent on the tarmac it's mediocre on the loose. The start is entirely inaccessible too . All of this is in stark contrast to the venue in the late 80s and early 90s pre race circuit renaissance when the course was brilliant and viewing was close up , especially on the loose . It was very , very fast and I remember seeing people like Welch in 200yard slides . Back in Internations Cup days there was a very big entry and a real buzz about the place .

I am happy to have a race circuit back but the current setup is rallycross lite , poorly supported and with far too many tedious races with the likes of Suzuki Swifts droning around . The sport needs noise , spectacle and close racing and whilst the supercars provide this they are so few that the waits between their races proved bloody interminable and I was bored silly some of the time.

Having been utterly blown away by the spectacle, entry size , atmosphere and slick organisation of Autograss down the road at Thornborough last month I know which I now prefer ...
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3776054)   #154
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having competed in autograss for a few years in the early 90's I can tell you for a fact that the oders days of that were far, far better too.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 10:06 (Ref:3776067)   #155
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Not when I watched it they weren't. It was good but not as good as now . Having not seen it for a decade the sheer spectacle of the top cars - Class 7 - was utterly extraordinary .
Old 24 Oct 2017, 10:50 (Ref:3776080)   #156
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
There is an answer

But I am afraid people wont like it.

Combine MSA and BTRDA.

It is that simple and has been for many years now. But for some pathetic reasons, it does not happen.
The politics are probably too difficult. But they could at least agree to run to the same rules (preferably 4wd supercar, 4wd stock, 2wd modified, 2wd stock). For such a small number of drivers it is crackers to have two different class structures.

It leaves you with the feeling that the MSA championship is being run for the interests of existing single-make drivers who want to protect the resale value of their cars and the commercial interests of the supplier of Swifts and Buggies. I'm not against anyone earning a living but I'm not sure this form of protectionism is in the interests of the sport as a whole. It certainly won't attract new entrants. Compare the position today with the days of stock hatch.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 11:03 (Ref:3776082)   #157
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Autograss was far better in the best in terms of the cars and what you could do ona budget. The racing is good now, but that is often because in some classes the cars are all pretty much the same, same layout, same engines, same designers.

in the past there were many routes to success, not just one or two. Ingenuity played a part, it doesn't as much now.

Engines are crazy money now, not as much in the past, though you always get some folk who think pending 30 grand driving round a field is fine.

Regarding rallycross, the two series should merge, should have done it years ago, someone strong needs to take control, no existing interest, only the further security of rallycross. Expansion is gone, never to return, what is needed now is consolidation.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3776085)   #158
Hickey1
Racer

England
Maidstone, Kent
Hickey1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BTRDA production grid is going to look even more healthy next year. With a potential 9 round championship (and a slim chance that it will include Lydden) the BTRDA only continues to gain strength. 82 entrants for the final round at Croft in a couple of weeks is a good way to end this year too.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3776095)   #159
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Agreed, they have done a great job fro the ashes they were left.

All the more reason for someone to bang their heads together, imagine a British series with 150 odd cars, B and C finals.

It could happen..
Old 25 Oct 2017, 18:44 (Ref:3776437)   #160
HoleInTheHedge
Rookie

European Union
HoleInTheHedge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just thinking outside the box...
What’s stopping a Grand Prix in Lydden Hill in late November?
Try and attract some of the EuroRX regulars as they’re season finishes in September and the British ends early November in Silverstone..
Given the right attention it could possibly resemble a GP of old
Old 26 Oct 2017, 20:14 (Ref:3776673)   #161
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a lot of price money would be needed, or start money to attrack them.