Old 13 Jan 2010, 11:22 (Ref:2612673)   #1
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone off to the British GP then?

Hi guys,

Just wondered, seeing as myself and my dad have booked tickets for the Saturday and Sunday, if anyone from here is planning to go? This will be my second consecutive Grand Prix (went to my first Grand Prix at Silverstone in 2009 for all three days). Sadly, I won't be able to go on the Friday this time due to school commitments (last year fell just right with Friday practice a day after my last GCSE exam) but we'll be travelling down Friday night for accomodation and an early start at the track for Saturday.

It's a long way away, but let's start the countdown!
Old 13 Jan 2010, 12:19 (Ref:2612688)   #2
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You mean to say your dad won't let you pull a sicky on that Friday, shame on him.
quite a few people on here will be going as marshals, but it hasn't been confirmed which ones yet. As you said, it's a bit early yet
Old 13 Jan 2010, 12:38 (Ref:2612699)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am. But first, Le Mans!
Old 13 Jan 2010, 13:01 (Ref:2612717)   #4
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tickets all booked, can't wait!
Old 13 Jan 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2612728)   #5
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yet another year im not doing the gp

reason..... its not at donington.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 13:34 (Ref:2612739)   #6
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMADD View Post

I am sure that Silverstone will be sorry to hear that, have you sent a note of absence?

You never know perhaps Donington could get a decent plan together involving the sale of debentures and hospitality. No, wait a minute. Didn't somebody try that?

I wish Donington every success and will be there on March 7th, however do try to get over your disappointment. Life is too short to bear a grudge!
Old 13 Jan 2010, 16:49 (Ref:2612824)   #7
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:

And why is it not being at Donington a bad thing out of curiosity?
Old 13 Jan 2010, 18:12 (Ref:2612868)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wont be going

HAvent been since 1994 when it was still a possibility to go there and not remortgage the house!

Jens and Hamimania does little for me I'm afraid and paying the equivalent of 5 or 6 normal meetings to watch a few races and stand on industrial hardcore is not my idea of fun!
Old 13 Jan 2010, 18:16 (Ref:2612870)   #9
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
And why is it not being at Donington a bad thing out of curiosity?
because i cannot marshal it whilst its at silverstone cos its too far.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2612898)   #10
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will try and head there for saturday only, as I am afraid it is just to expensive for me to do all 3 days or raceday, also the crowds will be less on the saturday.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2612924)   #11
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands hatch View Post
I will try and head there for saturday only, as I am afraid it is just to expensive for me to do all 3 days or raceday, also the crowds will be less on the saturday.
You'd be suprised.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2613164)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We went on the Saturday only in 2009 and had no problems getting in, out, or sitting where we wanted to and having a wander in the afternoon. Yes we chose to get there not long after the gates opened, but didn't have any problems.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2614837)   #13
brands hatch
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kent
brands hatch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
You'd be suprised.

I won't be! I know it will be busy, just a bit less than race day!
Old 7 May 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2686003)   #14
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Neither am I, but not for your reason, a diminutive white haired man, you know who I mean, who should be... a bit like the non elected British Parliment....
Old 30 Jun 2010, 18:35 (Ref:2720471)   #15
jodesta86
Rookie

jodesta86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey,

I am going to Silverstone this year and have a 3 day camping ticket at their campsite Woodland. It says you can only arrive between 7am and 12 pm so we were planning on heading down early on Friday morning. Does anybody know whether it is likely to be very busy on Friday morning or do most campers arrive on previous days?

Its my first time camping at Silverstone so don't really know what to expect, so any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Jodesta
Old 30 Jun 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2720517)   #16
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodesta86 View Post
Hey,

I am going to Silverstone this year and have a 3 day camping ticket at their campsite Woodland. It says you can only arrive between 7am and 12 pm so we were planning on heading down early on Friday morning. Does anybody know whether it is likely to be very busy on Friday morning or do most campers arrive on previous days?

Its my first time camping at Silverstone so don't really know what to expect, so any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Jodesta
Think you'll find the majority will arrive on Friday evening or Saturday morning, though it's been 5 years since I last went for the weekend. I'll be there Thursday afternoon but I'm marshalling!
Old 6 Jul 2010, 13:11 (Ref:2722586)   #17
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A hotel in the area has been destroyed in a fire, Hopefully none of you were planning on staying there!

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...rs-major-fire/
Old 6 Jul 2010, 22:50 (Ref:2722826)   #18
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
iam there marshaling, iam at village, say hello, answer to andy or monkey, iam the short fat lad usually spotted lying around or smoking
Old 7 Jul 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2722922)   #19
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I'll be the VW Golf headed down the M40 trying to avoid you lot queueing as I head down to Oxford at 7:45. So get over to the left EARLY please, no blocking 2 lanes! I have a bad enough time every day anyway, getting through the A43 junction...

Oh, yes, BE PREPARED for LONG queues there. The junction is VERY badly designed, and clogs up on normal days.

And as said earlier, The Green Man Travelodge has burnt down, so check your bookings...
Old 7 Jul 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2723111)   #20
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am going on Friday, as I took Silverstone up on the cheap ticket offer that they had on earlier in the year. I have to say I am really looking forward to it as it my first visit to the GP since 2003.
Old 9 Jul 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2724176)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was there today, it was a good day on the whole apart from the silly staff that Silverstone have employed and there silly restrictions that they put on where people can and can't go.

We tried to get the new arena section which we where told we had access to, however they wouldn't let use in as they told use we had the wrong tickets. However we spoke to a supervisor who agreed however she did double check and low and behold guess what we did have access !!!

Then we tried to get on to the Luffield Terrace for the second F1 session and guess what we had the wrong tickets, after speaking the helpdesk (who where as confussed as use on why we couldn't access it) we where sent the ticket office who told use that no we didn't have access because it was "Sold Out" and was only available as a 3 day ticket not a roaming ticket. So with no option we ended up in the Luffield Grandstand and what could I see in front of me an empty Luffield Terrace and load's of people being turned away, I have to say this is a bit of joke there was plentey of room so why not let the paying punters go where they want !!!

I have to say I agree with the restrictions listed above for tomorrow and Sunday but I think Silverstone have made a mistake with this one. If I was them I would look at again for this next year.
Old 12 Jul 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2725622)   #22
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have to say I agree with the restrictions listed above for tomorrow and Sunday but I think Silverstone have made a mistake with this one. If I was them I would look at again for this next year.
How strange, I didn't have any problems with access. Although Arena was a bit poorly organised, we went to try that out on Saturday and there were a million security checks, and we could only go over one side of the bridge and was all rather confusing.

On the plus side, the view from Arena was great! I think next year we'll either be at Arena or Woodcote A (again, tried it on Saturday for the Formula BMW race) as you can see all the way from Aintree to past Woodcote.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 08:19 (Ref:2725920)   #23
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was also on a roving ticket for Fri/Sat and not allowed into the Terraces, but I can see why. The tickets have to be limited in number for safety reasons - too many people in there and you get risks of crushing/crowd surge and other nasty incidents that have been seen in football. There's no way of knowing that all the ticket-holders won't turn up each day. If I was one of those and was refused entry because it was filled up with other ticket-holders I'd be mightily miffed.

Spent some time on the banking either side of Becketts, and in the grandstands at Copse (for qualfiying - excellent), Arena and Woodcote. I definitely agree that there's a good view from Arena, which should be a brilliant spot for first laps next year with the new pits. I think Woodcote A has become one of the prime spots to watch from. You can see the cars out of Aintree and then all the way through the complex and off onto the "national" pit straight.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 09:30 (Ref:2725965)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
they started imposing limits on the general admission tickets a couple of years ago with the concrete terracing, and they definitely do need to make it a bit clearer because british gp fans are used to the general admission concept being rather like spa - anywhere that isn't a grandstand is fair game.

it's not unusual to have issues with new layout areas and new spectator zones, especially when integrating it with staff who haven't necessarily been given clear instructions, or have had the instructions amended or something.

definitely worth giving feedback to silverstone though post-event otherwise they won't know there was an issue on the day.