Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Closed Thread

Old 2 Mar 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2142153)   #26
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
Ian Bickerton explains why Creation is a no-show at Sebring. They apparently changed carbon suppliers, which delayed construction of the second CA07, so the team decided to cancel their Sebring plans.

From EI.
Like Embassy. Both had RTN as carbon supplier. Is RTN bankrupt?
Old 2 Mar 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2142156)   #27
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the 2nd chassis was already built? Though I asume thats the one destined for Autocon?
Old 2 Mar 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2142160)   #28
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real DMN
I thought the 2nd chassis was already built? Though I asume thats the one destined for Autocon?
Autocon's car was "upgraded". It's still a CA06/H underneath for the most part. The second chassis apparently isn't complete or was just completed.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2142253)   #29
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie
Kumho is just trying to find a niche in this market and I am fine with that. DO not tell me your going to blame Intersports' pace on them?????

Was it not Richard Berry that spun the car on several occasions??

Is it not Clint Field can not keep pace with the other LMP2 cars nevermind the Audi's???

Creation + Judd + Intersports = SLOW

Kumho won LMP2 at Le Mans last year, does that mean they don't know what they are doing???

Yokohama won Le Mans and has put a respectable tire under PTG for years.

Clearly the tire of choice is the French tire maker, yet they don't want to dominate the series and become the sole supplier of tires, though it would take the wind out to of sails of most with that argument.

This is more of Kumho's cup of tea anyway, GT2 is not that far off SCCA T1 and T2 where they dominate.
Khumo as in other tire manufactures will always develope new rubber compounds.

Khumos were great tires in SCCA T1, as they lasted and lasted. But that particular compound was slower then Hoosiers A and Hoosier R compounds.

I got the impression, that Khumo is spending more time with and working with teams to find out what works or does not work and make rubber compund changes. Khumo wants to be very competitive and win. Good for them.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2142281)   #30
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know that in SCCA and NASA racing programs that the smaller tire companies are the ones of choice for the competitors. Hoosier, Kumho, Toyo, Nitto and even Falken and BF Goodrich are the tires of choice. These tire companies are smaller and very focused on competition. Many offer contingency programs and will have technicians at various events across the country helping out the competitors and listening to them. They know how to make a competitive tire. I think Kumho will do good in GT2. They might not have it licked at Sebring. But they'll get it. Sebring will be tough for the LG Corvette in general as the car will have only been completed for two weeks at that time.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 15:23 (Ref:2142285)   #31
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
BF Goodrich = Michelin
Old 2 Mar 2008, 15:32 (Ref:2142291)   #32
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes they are owned by Michelin. I'm sure they get to tap into that huge resource when they want to.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 15:36 (Ref:2142292)   #33
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
IIRC Kumho were also entering the VLN, looking to produce more GT-oriented rubber. With dedication and willing to stem the effort, they might become a viable alternative in GT racing.

Doubts whether at this point in time they might be more of a hindrance than a boost to exploiting a car's potential are quite justified though. But, let's hope for the best.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 16:30 (Ref:2142331)   #34
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The 2005 LMP2 class drivers champion can't keep pace?
Yes. Look at the other drivers in the class - in 2005 and in 2007.

Jon can get on the pace of Audi, Penske, Dyson and the Acuras - that accounts for nine entries; add de Ferran and you get ten ahead of Intersport. Clint can keep pace with or beat the other LMP1 and LMP2 entries, but not those ten.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 23:14 (Ref:2142793)   #35
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Shall I put up lap times or do we have to wait until first open practice?

LMP1 by design is suppose to be a faster class. The Creation was suppose to be a good private effort and proved to be quite fast the past 2 seasons at the two final events of 2005 and 2006.

I'm pretty safe in assuming that Clint Field in equal equipment and tires, taking the crews out of it and let Porsche techs setup the cars, would quite a bit off the pace of Ryan Briscoe....

Clint's problem isn't money obvoiously if he was a "fine" talent he would be started racing much sooner in life, other teams would be trying to sign him away from his father, etc, etc.

I am critical of C Field and C Dyson because they are the "Silver Spoon" of this generation of Sportscar family teams and even if only 2 tenths off professional pace says your not serious about WINNING. When your a "small" team with limited budget, you need to make up the pace on the track since you can't make it up back at the shop.

As I have stated several times, Sportscar fans hold this funny notion that rich people are to be excused from any talk of being serious about racing.

Just WHERE did the Fields spend most of their time last year? -

Not at the front, they got more camera time from the "Cub Reporters" than on the track and as a racing fan or Intersports fan that should be troubling to you.
That is so far out of order, I have no idea where it's come from. (I've been accused of some leftfield statements before, but you've gone past me toward unchartered territory here)
Sportscar racing is largely based on amateur teams and privateers racing occasional factory entries, and being a few tenths down. He knows he can't beat the Audis out right without a huge slice of luck, and I respect him and his team for being out there and trying his utmost to get what he can. The world doesn't have enough teams like Intersport, and it might because they get too much criticism from ignorant intolerants.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 23:52 (Ref:2142819)   #36
Zurbert82
Veteran

United States
Pittsburgh
Zurbert82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without the "silver spooners" and "rich people" there would be no B-K, Dyson, Intersport, Autocon, Flying Lizard, etc. It's very easy to criticize them, but infinitely more difficult to even come close to their level.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 01:45 (Ref:2142889)   #37
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gotta agree with the last two posts, sportscar racing has always been the arena for the rich to play with their toys and we get enjoy their willingness to risk life, limb and personal fortune (although less now than in the past) and some of us are lucky enough to actually get to share the car with them. I can't ever fault those who are fast enough to not be a danger to the other cars, and the Fields DEFINITELY are not a rolling roadblock.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 02:41 (Ref:2142919)   #38
TRuss
Veteran

It all started as a "gentleman's sport".

I think Intersport does quite well for a privateer. I know I'm being redundant but privateers truly are the life blood of sports cars. The factories while spectacular come and go as beneficial to them. The privateers are always there. Regardless.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 05:21 (Ref:2142955)   #39
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Did he buy into the 2005 drivers championship as well? Or his Le Mans class victory?

I'm not saying he's Ryan Briscoe, but it's ignorant to attempt to blame everything BUT the tires.

Aw man, are you serious?

The bar was MUCH lower in 2005 let's be honest

The bar has always been low for LMP2 as it was which car didn't totally breakdown before the end, less me not remain you that many a car spend 4-5 hours in the pits just SITTING because their lead was so large that they could afford to back their way into a victory.

Other people BLAME tires, I blame driver, crew chiefs and car owners!

Also didn't Ian Brickerton say this blurb(s) -

"Twelfth position doesn’t sound very good but we are seven tenths of a second quicker than we were this time last year..."

The competition is well stiff out here at the moment and we need to up our game to match theirs

And Umm if Clint was sooo GOOD, he would be driving other series or cutting his teeth in Atlantics, something I know Chris Dyson had a one-off in and never returned.

I am not taking anything away from The Fields or Intesports in general, they have been ardent supported of the ALMS but they seem to be struggling with the competition and their personal fans are going on the defensive and blaming everybody but Intersports for their lack of pace.

Just how many times did John Field cause an accident last season? Without reviewing all 12 races last year, I count 2 -

Mosport and Road America

They made the switch from Creation to Lola and fortunes improved, good for them.

I felt they shouldn't have switched from Lola or LMP2 anyway, jumping into the deep end didn't make any sense. Yes LMP2 is crowded but given Acura's problems last season, you had just as much of a chance at podium finishes as anybody else did.

Plus they understood the Lola chassis already, there is something to be said for being comfortable with your equipment.

They could have moved from strength to strength and picked up Mazda for 2008 to offset more investment from Mr Berry.

I consider them a stronger team than B-K and that is suppose to be the outfit with the professional drivers, isn't it???
Old 3 Mar 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2143175)   #40
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Other people BLAME tires, I blame driver, crew chiefs and car owners!
That makes sense. A good privateer team like Intersport who have proven themselves over the years clearly is the blame when a tire manufacturer supplies them with tires that are, at best, "guesses", and they no longer are on their former pace.

Quote:
And Umm if Clint was sooo GOOD, he would be driving other series or cutting his teeth in Atlantics, something I know Chris Dyson had a one-off in and never returned.
What does Atlantics have to do with anything? He's a sports car driver without big sponsor money. That doesn't mean he's crap though.

Quote:
I am not taking anything away from The Fields or Intesports in general, they have been ardent supported of the ALMS but they seem to be struggling with the competition and their personal fans are going on the defensive and blaming everybody but Intersports for their lack of pace.
Struggling? This is a team that was performing well against LMP2s and LMP1s in 2006, when they had a good car and tire combo. Yes, there's more competition now, but they were also struggling with a new car and new tires. I don't see how this is so difficult to figure out.

Quote:
Just how many times did John Field cause an accident last season? Without reviewing all 12 races last year, I count 2 -

Mosport and Road America
I never claimed anything about John Field.

Quote:
They made the switch from Creation to Lola and fortunes improved, good for them.
I think this helps prove that it was not just the drivers and team themselves the caused their bad year...

Quote:
I felt they shouldn't have switched from Lola or LMP2 anyway, jumping into the deep end didn't make any sense. Yes LMP2 is crowded but given Acura's problems last season, you had just as much of a chance at podium finishes as anybody else did.
According to you, they'd struggle against the Acuras and Porsches, which would leave them to to fight against....B-K? Van der Steur when they showed up? And, if they were simply out there causing wrecks, again as you claim, how can you now claim they'd pick up podiums suddenly?

In LMP1 they had better privateer competition with Autocon and Cytosport, and would be able to have a better chance against LMP2s, helping them stay at the top of the overall results, even if they were never in contention for class. It's not like Intersport hasn't run LMP900/LMP1 before...

Quote:
Plus they understood the Lola chassis already, there is something to be said for being comfortable with your equipment.
And your tires?

I just don't get that your original claim was that the Fields were crap, and that no blame laid on the tires or their chassis. They're good, amateur drivers who are probably the best amateur prototype drivers in the ALMS, and they struggled with various problems last year.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2143297)   #41
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
Gotta agree with the last two posts, sportscar racing has always been the arena for the rich to play with their toys and we get enjoy their willingness to risk life, limb and personal fortune (although less now than in the past) and some of us are lucky enough to actually get to share the car with them. I can't ever fault those who are fast enough to not be a danger to the other cars, and the Fields DEFINITELY are not a rolling roadblock.
Heck I feel much safer in a race car during a race then driving around Washington DC in rush hour.

Teams or cars that do not meet minimal speeds are asked to withdrawl. But you wont see this on any results forms. It is "DNF - Mechanical"
Old 3 Mar 2008, 14:28 (Ref:2143300)   #42
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
and rember, those drivers are there in the RACE for several reasons while we are here on the puter boards.

Cheer them on, who ever they are.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 15:09 (Ref:2143326)   #43
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I had the money I'd be in a LMP2 tugging around at the back. So would all of you if you had the chance. Sportscar racing has always had a lot of wealthy fellows doing it for fun. So don't lay into them for not being as good as Dumas or McNish...

As hard to pronounce name above says - Cheer them on - whoever they are.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2143377)   #44
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is the Sebring RACE thread is it not?

Take the gentleman driver discussion somewhere else.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 16:48 (Ref:2143390)   #45
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
If I had the money I'd be in a LMP2 tugging around at the back. So would all of you if you had the chance. Sportscar racing has always had a lot of wealthy fellows doing it for fun. So don't lay into them for not being as good as Dumas or McNish...

Right on. Fully agree.

And as for LMP2: That's probably my favourite class at the moment. I've been thinking about starting yet another "Which class would you race in" thread after watching some ALMS '07 recordings, and I would choose LMP2. It just has this adventure vibe.
And I think I would take one of those lovely Acuras.

So, during the Sebring race I will keep an especially close eye on the LMP2 category. Go Acura, go!
Old 3 Mar 2008, 17:25 (Ref:2143430)   #46
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins

lol

AU = Chemical symble for GOLD

N

EGL = Eagle

Gold N Eagle

AKA Tom

Back to racing. Vroom Vroom
Old 3 Mar 2008, 17:35 (Ref:2143437)   #47
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
cool!
Old 4 Mar 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2144198)   #48
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Audi have just released their driver line up for Sebring

McNish-Capello-Kristensen & Werner-Rockenfeller-Luhr .

Strange that Pirro-Biela are not on their crew , or are they kinda semi retireing ?
Old 4 Mar 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2144204)   #49
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Audi press release can be found on Endurance-Info.com.

Dr.Ullrich refers to Sebring as a test in preparation for Le Mans, but no mention of any further outings in the ALMS (although there's no mention of their already announced participation in the Le Mans Series either).

Also interesting is his reference to the Peugeot; "With Peugeot a second automobile manufacturer competes for the first time at Sebring with a diesel sportscar, and which is a year younger than the Audi R10 TDI. Audi relies on the reliability of its TDI Technology in this head-to-head duel." Sounds to me like Audi have conceded that the Peugeot is the quicker car before they've even locked horns!
Old 4 Mar 2008, 15:35 (Ref:2144210)   #50
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
The Audi press release can be found on Endurance-Info.com.

Sounds to me like Audi have conceded that the Peugeot is the quicker car before they've even locked horns!

could be...could be.
Closed Thread