Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jun 2003, 07:18 (Ref:630254)   #26
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
I hate to say it, but it's only there because it's French...
As the team is based in Florida, they're not considered by ACO as a real french team... BTW, ACO refused to enter a second factory Courage LMP 900 ; ACO choosed the Norma to give a last chance to a team who came at LM when the grid was poor... but it changes nothing on the fact that this entry is wasted, as you precised before ; really too bad for the Taurus Lola, or even another car in the pace of its own category.

We have to consider that, if ACO doesn't enter that kind of small team, their life should be short : even Pescarolo team is threatened for next year (lack o f real results at LM)... who could be on the grid behind ? We cannot have only VAG and RFH... we need small teams too ; and remember that, if we talked only about MG last year, there was only two LMP 675 at the chekered flag, WR and Noel del Bello, who were quite anonymous during the test days...

That doesn't mean that I have any expectations for the Norma, but 'with a little bit of luck'...
Old 13 Jun 2003, 15:40 (Ref:630619)   #27
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree, Fab...Sezionale is a North American distributor of the Norma chassis, but this whole "it's French, so it gets special treatment" thing is for the birds....

IMO, the ACO has far too much integrity to let nationalistic politics get in the way of things when it comes to Le Mans...

But I will add that the Norma will need more than "A little Luck"...

Like 2/3 of the field dropping out...to get anywhere near the top of the grid....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 Jun 2003, 18:06 (Ref:630714)   #28
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hear that all cars and drivers have made qualifying, despite Nasamax, Norma and WR's '02 car not making the cutoff (110% of the top lap in class) with any of their drivers.

How should this be read? Last year there was a driver or two who did not qualify, right?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Jun 2003, 18:10 (Ref:630723)   #29
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Paul, they could be alowed to race by ACO, but starting from the back of the grid... but it's not sure !

Tim, ACO are not angel, but not beeing a firm but an association, they usualy are more straight and honest... well, so far !
Old 13 Jun 2003, 18:49 (Ref:630787)   #30
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Really? dailysportscar said
Quote:
The list of cars and drivers entitled to take part in the morning warm-up tomorrow reveals that all 49 remaining cars will start with their nominated three driver line-ups, irrespective of each driver’s ability to meet the minimum time.
So the decision isn't final yet?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Jun 2003, 19:45 (Ref:630867)   #31
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Next year 24 cars will qualify for LM through there performances at LM, ALMS, LMT AND FIA GT.
Old 13 Jun 2003, 21:00 (Ref:630912)   #32
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has the sporting committee posted the "Official Starting Grid" yet???

If not, I wouldn't assume anything....the results from the past two days are "provisional" until the starting grid is announced by the Committee...

IMPORTANT NOTE:

I'm not sure if it was on this thread or another, but there is a provision beyond the 110% rule that allows:

"For the committee to accept an entrant who is within 125% of the top three different chassis makes in the same class as the entrant"

That might make Norma OK...don't know about the new Welter racing..

Nasamax improved enough to get in under the 110%, didn't they???

But Norma is still a waste of an invite...

Old 14 Jun 2003, 00:47 (Ref:631020)   #33
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Nasamax missed the 110% by 0.2s, if you can believe it.

Tim, is that a quote or paraphrase? The quote I found did not say "same class" in the same phrase as 125%...

-Bill James
Old 14 Jun 2003, 02:36 (Ref:631050)   #34
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Actually a paraphrase....sorry about that...

My paraphrase puts a whole new meaning to it that probably is not there...

The LM site doesn't list a starting grid as of now, but they did last year before the day of the race....

Bizarre, isn't it????

Old 14 Jun 2003, 12:36 (Ref:631213)   #35
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
I wonder when it will show up. dailysportscar said the list of cars eligible for warmup was the full 49, and that all 49 participated.

Here's a quote from the regs:
Quote:
Drivers shall achieve a lap time at least equal to 125 % of the average of the 3 best laps set by 3 cars of different makes, and at least equal to 110 % of the best time achieved by the fastest car in each category :
"LM" P 900 / "LM" GTP, "LM" P 675, "LM" GTS and "LM" GT.
Is that the one you were thinking of?

-Bill James
Old 14 Jun 2003, 22:57 (Ref:631632)   #36
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Per Radio Le Mans, the Norma is Storma no more.

Last edited by skycafe; 14 Jun 2003 at 22:58.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 18:43 (Ref:633290)   #37
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well it did 83 laps and it was so ssssssssssslllllllllllloooooooowwwwwwwwwww...........
Old 16 Jun 2003, 18:49 (Ref:633301)   #38
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
It was, Paul-Collins..and boy was my paraphrase off the mark...sorry, guys...

That regualtion needs revision....the Norma was a moving road block on Saturday....had no business being there...

Old 17 Jun 2003, 04:58 (Ref:633748)   #39
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
I don't think they'll be allowed by ACO to come back, due to lack of performances, except if they do better next year in ALMS...
Old 19 Jun 2003, 11:48 (Ref:636507)   #40
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see from this weeks Autosport that they are building a new LMP2 car for next year.................
Old 19 Jun 2003, 12:49 (Ref:636566)   #41
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did they actually use their "langheck" in the race?

...as opposed to the conventional configuration:

(images from www.sportproto.com)
Old 19 Jun 2003, 13:12 (Ref:636595)   #42
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
If they did, it didn't help much.....
Old 19 Jun 2003, 13:21 (Ref:636603)   #43
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But, did they?
Old 19 Jun 2003, 14:34 (Ref:636682)   #44
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i have one frame of the car from behind and yes they used their "langheck".
Old 19 Jun 2003, 15:53 (Ref:636733)   #45
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
i have one frame of the car from behind and yes they used their "langheck".
Short at PQ ! :confused:

Sorry, long during the race, checked on my own pics...

Last edited by Fab; 19 Jun 2003 at 15:54.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 16:09 (Ref:636751)   #46
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
The long and the short of it is, they weren't fast enough
Old 19 Jun 2003, 19:31 (Ref:636919)   #47
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
We cannot have only VAG and RFH... we need small teams too
I think Jan is happy to see that he belongs to the big players. But to be honoust RfH is maybe a so called big team because they have 2 cars but their budget is small.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 19:33 (Ref:636920)   #48
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
I see from this weeks Autosport that they are building a new LMP2 car for next year.................
They have already Norma M20 CM/CN car:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sportracer/Norma%20M%2020.htm
Old 19 Jun 2003, 19:37 (Ref:636923)   #49
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
And this:
I think they can better concentrate in building a LMP2/LM750 car because this class is weak. It their car is reliable than maybe they get a podium finish at Le Mans in this class.

Last edited by FIRE; 19 Jun 2003 at 19:40.
Old 20 Jun 2003, 05:18 (Ref:637248)   #50
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by FIRE
I think Jan is happy to see that he belongs to the big players. But to be honoust RFH is maybe a so called big team because they have 2 cars but their budget is small.
That makes their performance even bigger !

And for me, they're now essential to thr grid : I'd like to see them to win Le Mans once...

And a pair of Dome is better than a singlet...