Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Dec 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2807704)   #151
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
I don't think that was the rule last year, I *think* (without checking) the refuelling rules only covered the pit lane and the garages. We refilled our jug in the mobile workshop (while it was stationary of course).
Quite correct. The refuelling regs only cover the pit lane and garages. Elsewhere, the normal H & S rules apply.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 12:12 (Ref:2807710)   #152
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
......... But I question how you can foam fill a standard tank?
s'easy - you buy a binbag full of the foam cubes, you remove the filler pipe from the tank, you stuff the cubes down the pipe 3 or 4 at a time and push them sideways wi' stick. Keep going until you can't get any more in. Half fill tank, slosh it around a bit, repeat stuffing process. When the fuel gauge stops working you know you've got good coverage (sender unit is at opposite end of tank). They do settle and the first few times you refuel you can add a couple more for good measure.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 12:18 (Ref:2807712)   #153
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have also cut foam into strips and done a similar thing, I have a modified standard tank in my older car. Foam filled, cut down and fitted with a sump with dual outlets as I see in an old HotRod mag years ago and covered in glass fibre as per MSA's suggestion and the thing has been 100% reliable since 1989.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2807714)   #154
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I once filled a tank with foam but it all disintegrated first time I filled it up plus wifey wasn't impressed when she wanted to sit on the sofa and there were no cushions left
Old 23 Dec 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2807759)   #155
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
s'easy - you buy a binbag full of the foam cubes, you remove the filler pipe from the tank, you stuff the cubes down the pipe 3 or 4 at a time and push them sideways wi' stick. Keep going until you can't get any more in. Half fill tank, slosh it around a bit, repeat stuffing process. When the fuel gauge stops working you know you've got good coverage (sender unit is at opposite end of tank). They do settle and the first few times you refuel you can add a couple more for good measure.

Quite right David,some people just havn't lived,have they?
Old 23 Dec 2010, 14:52 (Ref:2807762)   #156
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Quite right David,some people just havn't lived,have they?
self-preppers like me have to keep it simple or it wouldn't happen

seriously though, I do think sometimes there's a tendency to make things more complicated than they need be
Old 23 Dec 2010, 14:53 (Ref:2807764)   #157
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
self-preppers like me have to keep it simple or it wouldn't happen

seriously though, I do think sometimes there's a tendency to make things more complicated than they need be
Indeed
Old 23 Dec 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2807792)   #158
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
So what you are describing is a tank with foam in, not a foam filled tank but each to his own. There are two reasons for the foam but you'll have to research it yourself because clearly you won't take my word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I have also cut foam into strips and done a similar thing, I have a modified standard tank in my older car. Foam filled, cut down and fitted with a sump with dual outlets as I see in an old HotRod mag years ago and covered in glass fibre as per MSA's suggestion and the thing has been 100% reliable since 1989.
So you do have a bespoke tank then.

As I said there are many reasons for having a specilly fabricated tank, not only safety. I will tell you that I had a standard tank once (with foam in it) and after a fire I decided never again.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2807798)   #159
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

As I said there are many reasons for having a specilly fabricated tank, not only safety. I will tell you that I had a standard tank once (with foam in it) and after a fire I decided never again.
I'm a bit lost here Peter, what sort of specially fabricated tank are you recommending as opposed to an ordinary tank stuffed with foam cubes, which IMO are a waste of time?
Old 23 Dec 2010, 17:12 (Ref:2807805)   #160
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm recommending a fabricated tank with the correct density of foam. Its not just a case of "stuffing the foam in".

In fact I'm seriously looking at an ATL system for the next project. Lighter and much easier to work with.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 17:54 (Ref:2807815)   #161
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I suppose a lot of the arguments re standard tanks or not can depend on the original car, anyone remember the US exploding Ford Pintos that were slated by Ralf Nader. One tap up the rear and the lot could go up! Where as if you take my 87 Model Camaro I think the standard position tank mounted quite far from the rear of the car and well protected would be very safe.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2807866)   #162
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter,are you talking about the plastic type of ATL? These are a fair bit heavier than a fabricated ally tank,I have fitted several of both BTW.
ATL Bag tanks also require an ally box therefore losing any advantage weight wise.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 11:18 (Ref:2811420)   #163
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys, happy new year first of all.

I'm seriously considering this years Saturday Snetterton 360 meet.

Friday we (I'll be bringing one or two mates) will be in the Northern London area. Anyone can suggest a guesthouse / B&B for us?

Is there a newsletter / update thingy going on or do I need to check the 360 website and this thread.

Of course I'll bring the cam and the HD vidcam (please check out the Spa6 clip we did) to cover this: is there a presscard needed?

I'd be happy to spam my FB friends and 250+ car buff palls about this. Hoping this years endurance will pack a slightly bigger pack of endurance enthusiasts.

Cheers.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 11:19 (Ref:2811421)   #164
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Forgot to submit . . .
Old 5 Jan 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2811425)   #165
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Mikes right its the only way!!!!!.Sunaco have a petrol pump at Snett and in sure they would be only too pleased to take our money.
Hi Delta! Only when every car is in full Sunoco livery: now that would be a sight!

Peter Chambers could bring in his T70 spider . . . Ah well, dream on.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 11:38 (Ref:2811432)   #166
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkel View Post

Friday we (I'll be bringing one or two mates) will be in the Northern London area. Anyone can suggest a guesthouse / B&B for us?

Is there a newsletter / update thingy going on or do I need to check the 360 website and this thread.

Of course I'll bring the cam and the HD vidcam (please check out the Spa6 clip we did) to cover this: is there a presscard needed?

I'd be happy to spam my FB friends and 250+ car buff palls about this. Hoping this years endurance will pack a slightly bigger pack of endurance enthusiasts.

Cheers.
Happy New Year to you too!!

ok so are you entering the race?

With regard to accomodation, On the website there is an accomodation page, but that is local to Snetterton not London

PM me with your media details

The Newsletter is for club members (when we eventually find the time to publish it!!!... been busy) but keep looking at this thread and the related threads on here plus the 360mrc.com website for up to date news

Re Facebook, 360 have a group page on it, become a mermber and point your 250 odd friends that way too, would be great and much appreciated

We will be at Race Retro in hall two

ta
Claire
Old 5 Jan 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2811439)   #167
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Albert,

I take it you're coming along to take pics and buy beer etc? There's a Premier Inn in Thetford which is quite comfortable.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 13:29 (Ref:2811479)   #168
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Hi Dinkel

Great to hear that you're coming. Currently, any updates are through the website, the Facebook site and on here.
Remember, that the Friday will be a public holiday due to (or in celebration of ?) the Royal Wedding.
Give me a better clue as to location and budget where you want to stay and we can come up with suggestions.
Look me up on the day and I'm sure we can help with a press pass.
Old 5 Jan 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2811553)   #169
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkel View Post

I'd be happy to spam my FB friends and 250+ car buff palls about this. Hoping this years endurance will pack a slightly bigger pack of endurance

enthusiasts.

Cheers.
Hi Albert,good to see you back again. There are a few B&Bs near by toi Snet,I'll send you the address's [Nothing like the other place in Belgium,wouldn't be willing to go through that again!]
I'll look up the address's and send them on via PM.
Interesting points on Robins latest,rather a lot to do but I'm glad I made the suggestion.
Old 6 Jan 2011, 08:28 (Ref:2811799)   #170
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Thanks for the warm replies.

Claire: I wish I had the lisence and kit to take part and beat Jerry, Terry and Peter. To name the top3 everybody will pen down at the bookies

The idea is to visit a few mates friday 29 and share beers with the lot of you on the saturday! Sunday would make an excellent Goodwood breakfast. Maybe join to cool down from the 360 race Up at 5 is one of my fav things to do . . .

Terry: The R is definately off my list! I have a great place, PM if you are considering Spa62011 and need a B&B to stay.

Peter: rooms look good and at good money. Hope they do early brekkies!

John: prespass would be mega! We keep in touch. I'm on the FB group already (Albert M.)

Thanks all, 'daily email notification' so I'm on the loop.

NB. I've posted and promoted PH and it's buzzing! Grid of 25+ would be super!