Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2013, 17:37 (Ref:3313639)   #51
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What's the score on restarts after the safety car these days? The leader gets to do as he wishes to pick his moment to steal a march on everyone else? Has it always been that way? Didn't there used to be some kind of rule about remaining a certain distance behind the SC?
Old 6 Oct 2013, 17:44 (Ref:3313647)   #52
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
Woah, Lewis... You can't say that after the race Hulk put together, and Grosjean was driving incredibly well the whole weekend too qualifying third just a tenth shy of Ham's best time.
I know he is frustrated, but come on...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24419864
Lewis sometimes reminds me of something Damon Hill once said about Schumacher: "I love Michael, but, boy, does he make it hard sometimes."
Old 6 Oct 2013, 17:50 (Ref:3313650)   #53
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I know, just seems disrespectful to say that when every driver in front of him has done a terrific job this GP and is not there by luck.

1. Vettel, flawless
2. Kimi, fantastic comeback
3. Grosjean, fantastic qualifying and strong race
4. Hulkenberg, clearly the driver of the weekend

I don't see which of them doesn't deserve to be there.
Whilst I agree with you, I can sympathise with Hamilton (and Alonso). They should be battling it out with Vettel, but everyone else is in Div 2 right now and they have to mix it with some very good Div 2/3 boys/teams. If only they did have the cars to mix it with Vettel.......
Old 6 Oct 2013, 17:51 (Ref:3313652)   #54
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrinck View Post
In the RTL interview after the race Niki Lauda asked Vettel why he drove the fastest lap, and he said 'because I'm stupid'. He just loves racking up the stats I guess.
Not sure if stupid or just enjoying to go fast, because the six fastest laps of the race were made by him between lap 43 and lap 53. By that time he had it secured and yet still pushed more and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
What's the score on restarts after the safety car these days? The leader gets to do as he wishes to pick his moment to steal a march on everyone else? Has it always been that way? Didn't there used to be some kind of rule about remaining a certain distance behind the SC?
Nothing wrong as long as you are not too slow or erratic with your acceleration and braking.

40.13 When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car the message "SAFETY CAR IN THIS LAP" will be displayed on the timing monitors and the car's orange lights will be extinguished This will be the signal to the teams and drivers that it will be entering the pit lane at the end of that lap.
At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, fall more than ten car lengths behind it.
In order to avoid the likelihood of accidents before the safety car returns to the pits, from the point at which the lights on the car are turned out drivers must proceed at a pace which involves no erratic acceleration or braking nor any other manoeuvre which is likely to endanger other drivers or impede the restart.
As the safety car is approaching the pit entry the yellow flags and SC boards will be withdrawn and, other than on the last lap of the race, replaced by waved green flags with green lights at the Line. These will be displayed until the last car crosses the Line.
Old 6 Oct 2013, 17:54 (Ref:3313655)   #55
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Fair do's then. I suppose if you were leading when it came out, you deserve to have the not inconsiderable advantage of picking your moment when it goes in.
Old 6 Oct 2013, 18:05 (Ref:3313666)   #56
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's fair in a way, when a driver have built some gap and some other driver crash, that gap disappears with the SC.
It only works for the leading car though...
Old 6 Oct 2013, 18:07 (Ref:3313667)   #57
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Indeed so.
Old 6 Oct 2013, 18:24 (Ref:3313682)   #58
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It always surprises me how bad F1 drivers are at restarts. Safety cars are more and more common these days, you really oughtn't to be caught napping.
Old 6 Oct 2013, 18:26 (Ref:3313684)   #59
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
But you're not reacting to the safety car but to the leader who should always have the jump on you....
Old 6 Oct 2013, 18:49 (Ref:3313707)   #60
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Do they give themselves a 10 pace grid penalty for that.....?
It depends whether how many other reprimands they've had before.
Old 6 Oct 2013, 22:50 (Ref:3313870)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It depends whether how many other reprimands they've had before.
Old 6 Oct 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3313876)   #62
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Not sure if stupid or just enjoying to go fast, because the six fastest laps of the race were made by him between lap 43 and lap 53. By that time he had it secured and yet still pushed more and more.
I agree with Vettel's statement, the team were clearly concerned about the wear, there was no need to push it, and he would have looked stupid indeed if a tyre had let go!
Did not deserve DOTR for this indiscretion in my book.

Fun as it may have been for Seb!
Old 6 Oct 2013, 23:11 (Ref:3313880)   #63
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
FP3 just completed. Vettel tops the time sheet.

I missed that font being used for the graphics in the main TV feed y'know.

You've got "Vet" on the main TV though and whatever the other ones are. Very annoying in DTM as well. It wouldn't be that hard to roll out the full surname.

Anyways.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 08:11 (Ref:3313995)   #64
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little bit more on the Lotus team orders situation below.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110409

I say little because that article doesn't reveal the full details. The conversation towards the end of the race between the team and divers went something like this. Kimi was told not to race Romain. Romain made a small mistake after the first SC and Kimi dived to the left at the end of the straight. They both almost touched. We saw that on the world feed.
Romain then wanted his spot back. Kimi was then told he was ok to race. Romain was also told "...you are just racing him now." Romian whinged. Then was told "Ok Romain, you are quicker than Kimi...". Romian later whinges again saying he cannot pass and wants Kimi to slow down. Boullier then get's on the radio and tells "Romain! Keep racing as it is!". Romian not happy.

And Permane's actual message to Grosjean was: "Romain, Romain it's Bert. We'll talk about this in the office after the race of course. But for now big f*****g smile on podium please, big f*****g smile."

Another article on this:
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/196695/...am_orders.html
Old 7 Oct 2013, 08:27 (Ref:3314007)   #65
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Breaking News: Car makes mistake and gets overtaken shocker.

Neither of them are fighting for the championship this year, so this is not much of a story to me. Neither of them were going to properly put pressure on Vettel. The move was clean enough. Let them race.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3314013)   #66
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Let them race.
Agree.
Maybe Romain feels he is owed.
Or maybe he thought he could catch Vettel.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 09:20 (Ref:3314020)   #67
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Hell no - not for me. I wanted Romain ahead. What use is it for me having the 'Ferrari Guy' beating the driver who'll probably stay and may lead the team.....
Old 7 Oct 2013, 15:11 (Ref:3314140)   #68
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The FIA admit to letting the fire truck lose onto the track.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110402
White flags were waved, which should have been enough to warn the drivers, as long as they can remember their flags...

It's weird to see, but the procedure was all correct. And the fire did need that backup.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3314153)   #69
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
White flags were waved, which should have been enough to warn the drivers, as long as they can remember their flags...

It's weird to see, but the procedure was all correct. And the fire did need that backup.
I suppose in F1 it is unusual to see the fire truck go out on the track, unlike CART/IndyCar where it's more common.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 15:39 (Ref:3314154)   #70
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Charlie Whiting was under the impression that the fire truck was stationed at the corner where the Webber fire was. Note to circuit management: More fire trucks.
Old 7 Oct 2013, 16:53 (Ref:3314196)   #71
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Charlie Whiting was under the impression that the fire truck was stationed at the corner where the Webber fire was. Note to circuit management: More fire trucks.
Ah, so Charlie's fault then. Would expect the race director to know where the fire trucks are...or at least be able to find out very quickly indeed.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 21:24 (Ref:3314818)   #72
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Hell no - not for me. I wanted Romain ahead. What use is it for me having the 'Ferrari Guy' beating the driver who'll probably stay and may lead the team.....
Ditto!!

I couldn't believe it. But then they still owe Raikkonen money!
Old 8 Oct 2013, 21:51 (Ref:3314832)   #73
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kimi do as we say, we're paying you... er... oh... as you were.
Old 8 Oct 2013, 22:39 (Ref:3314859)   #74
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post

You make a good point here.

Also if you are trapped under a burning car you would hope that the local marshals and fire fighters have enough latitude to be able to react to the situation in front of them without waiting for race control to authorize the action and the safety car to pick up the field!

Procedure is all very well, but the emergency staff have to be able to react quickly, humans don't survive in fire for very long!
Old 9 Oct 2013, 00:32 (Ref:3314895)   #75
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

I couldn't believe it. But then they still owe Raikkonen money!
I can see the headline now: Team Lotus bankrupt as Grosjean takes second place from Raikkonen.