Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Oct 2017, 02:06 (Ref:3773552)   #26
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
Is it just me or does it seem the last few years Allan Moffat has been putting his name to a lot of merchandise. Retirement fund?
"I used to race GTs, now I drive on them." - The GT Radial, Taiwan's finest performance tyre (right?). Actually I drove a set of GT Radials, the grip was good however the road noise was dreadful. Taiwan's Giti tyre group seem to focussing more on their "Giti" brand these days, rather than the GT Radials.

Moffat was always generous with endorsements.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 03:03 (Ref:3773559)   #27
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
Is it just me or does it seem the last few years Allan Moffat has been putting his name to a lot of merchandise. Retirement fund?
Regardless, halfway through the book (picked up at K-Mart for $24), an interesting read.
Wonder if any of the funds are ending up at GRM?
Old 11 Oct 2017, 03:18 (Ref:3773560)   #28
Forda
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
"I used to race GTs, now I drive on them." - The GT Radial, Taiwan's finest performance tyre (right?). Actually I drove a set of GT Radials, the grip was good however the road noise was dreadful. Taiwan's Giti tyre group seem to focussing more on their "Giti" brand these days, rather than the GT Radials.

Moffat was always generous with endorsements.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3773623)   #29
Stram_man
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Stram_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whether you like him or not there is no doubt he achieved some impressive results in his career with not the same funding as others. He is very correct in saying he was one of the very few racers of that era to be doing as a profession rather than as a hobby. eg Bob Jane.
While Brock was the other notable exception he appears to have been very well looked after by the Holden media machine. He was in reality also more personable.
Moffat recent merchandise push is to protect his brand and you cannot blame him for that.
Given the "original" Brock rubbish that I see on ebay that I know did not exist when he was alive, let alone from the era, you cannot blame Moffat for protecting his brand.
I have read the Moffat book and it is a great insight into the golden ra of motorsport.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3773642)   #30
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Can you elaborate?

And was this meeting at this years 1000?
Yep, this year's 1000. Was at a meet and greet. I don't really want to get into specifics but what he did to me plus a young family behind me was beyond disrespectful and rather disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librules View Post
Surely you'd buy the book to read an inside story on his career in motorsport - not because he h.as a different personality in person to others such as Brock
It's not because he's different to Brock, it's just his attitude problem is the reason why I won't have anything to do with him anymore. Seems a fair few friends and colleagues in the motorsport fraternity share my same sentiments to Moffat.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3773645)   #31
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
apologies that its off topic (in a way) but seemed a logical place to put this

THE BOTTLE-O PAYS TRIBUTE TO THE FAMOUS FORD VICTORY!

Part 1
Part 2 went up today as well (in the same link)

Had to laugh when Moffat talks about sending Bond a psychedelic message when he pulled alongside telling him who is "paying the bills"... Didn't Bond take legal action against Moffat towards the end of 1978 over non-payments dating back to 1977?
Old 11 Oct 2017, 22:48 (Ref:3773779)   #32
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Part 2 went up today as well (in the same link)

Had to laugh when Moffat talks about sending Bond a psychedelic message when he pulled alongside telling him who is "paying the bills"... Didn't Bond take legal action against Moffat towards the end of 1978 over non-payments dating back to 1977?
He does have a way with words.

The legal action is in the book. Moffat writes he doesn't hold any blame against Bond for doing so.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 01:55 (Ref:3773790)   #33
Phillip Ireland
Rookie

Phillip Ireland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is a very strong-willed and driven bloke but you can't help but wonder if his rigorous philosophies didn't make it more difficult for him along the way. He does mention a couple of occasions where a crew member's mistake has seen him finding his own way home from the meeting, and while he was very professional in servicing his sponsorships, he had several pull out on him over the years, often without discussion or amicable parting.
Then, as now, I find him a fascinating study and very much a one-off.
Interesting book though, and although it is co-authored by John Smailes you can easily imagine hearing Moffat uttering every word.

Last edited by Phillip Ireland; 12 Oct 2017 at 02:15.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 02:13 (Ref:3773791)   #34
Steve Willing
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Steve Willing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Razor;3773642]Yep, this year's 1000. Was at a meet and greet. I don't really want to get into specifics but what he did to me plus a young family behind me was beyond disrespectful and rather disgusting.

I had a similar run in with him earlier in the year at Phillip Island. I was a big fan and had several models of his cars, inlcuding the Rx7, Capri, Coke Mustang and 935. I had heard rumours that he asked for money for his signature, which I was ok with, however when I approached him to say hi, that I was a fan and had some models to sign he simply looked at me, rubbed his fingers, and said bring the money. No hi, nice to meet you, btw I charge for my signature-just nothing but a request for money. So with that lack of respect for a fan I sold my models, and vowed not to buy anything else Moffat related. They say you should never meet your heroes, how true!!
Old 12 Oct 2017, 02:24 (Ref:3773793)   #35
Forda
Veteran

So what's the going rate for a Moff signature nowadays?
Old 12 Oct 2017, 03:00 (Ref:3773796)   #36
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda View Post
I got it for free a few weeks after Bathurst in 2014 on a FPR flag. but as i walked up it was like he was checking me out and then mentally approved the signature, however he was very professional about the signature putting time and effort into assuring it was good quality
Old 12 Oct 2017, 03:28 (Ref:3773797)   #37
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where do most things that get autographed end up?
Old 12 Oct 2017, 03:45 (Ref:3773801)   #38
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
mostly in the bin is my observation, alternately on shelf and sometimes they fly a bathurst from the grandstand
Old 12 Oct 2017, 04:00 (Ref:3773802)   #39
Forda
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I got it for free a few weeks after Bathurst in 2014 on a FPR flag. but as i walked up it was like he was checking me out and then mentally approved the signature, however he was very professional about the signature putting time and effort into assuring it was good quality
Given his signature is high quality, is it then unreasonable if he should charge for it?
Old 12 Oct 2017, 04:13 (Ref:3773804)   #40
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Given his signature is high quality, is it then unreasonable if he should charge for it?
It is a tricky one, a fine line between a fan and a hustler and even some of the fans know that it adds value

But Moff was, as long as i can remember, considered a bit prickly. The opposite to brocky
Old 12 Oct 2017, 04:26 (Ref:3773805)   #41
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
This is covered in the book.

Clearly at times he may get it wrong and refuse an autograph (or charge for it) if he believes it is for resale.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 04:36 (Ref:3773808)   #42
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I got my VIP Lanyard Signed by Moff last year
Old 12 Oct 2017, 07:16 (Ref:3773822)   #43
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Apparently the ANZ Sierra finished second at Bathurst in 1990 but with the 1 minute penalty for jumping the start they were classified 10th!

Who checks this stuff before it goes to print?
You'd think John Smailes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
He does have a way with words.

The legal action is in the book. Moffat writes he doesn't hold any blame against Bond for doing so.
Thanks for that, I've got Moff's book but am still finishing off Damon Hill's book at the moment, Moffat is next on the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forda
I'm not a big autograph hunter myself, but I have been told that quite a few of the legends from Moffat's era charge for an autograph, so he isn't alone....and it sounds like it might just be the done thing?
Old 12 Oct 2017, 11:52 (Ref:3773848)   #44
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Mr Skaife handled the autograph-hunting profiteers the best:

Quote:
To eBay,

Love Mark Skaife.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3773857)   #45
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can see their point of view of others profiteering from their signatures but usually I get signatures for something that raises money for a charity or a friend in need. (Such charities like Bid4Jase/Jason Richards, Bushfire appeals, etc) I explained to Allan that the XC lid was for a friend and his project car that's a family heirloom. The only signatures I've kept was on a cap that Jason had signed as a thank you for a shirt I ultimately gave his wife and kids (and he tearfully hugged me after signing the cap) a few model cars of Jase and Peter Brock (which I swore I would never sell) plus a custom painted guitar signed by actor Karl Urban. In other words, I've never profited from these with the exception of making new friends from the people who autographed the stuff.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 00:28 (Ref:3773938)   #46
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I can see their point of view of others profiteering from their signatures but usually I get signatures for something that raises money for a charity or a friend in need. (Such charities like Bid4Jase/Jason Richards, Bushfire appeals, etc) I explained to Allan that the XC lid was for a friend and his project car that's a family heirloom. The only signatures I've kept was on a cap that Jason had signed as a thank you for a shirt I ultimately gave his wife and kids (and he tearfully hugged me after signing the cap) a few model cars of Jase and Peter Brock (which I swore I would never sell) plus a custom painted guitar signed by actor Karl Urban. In other words, I've never profited from these with the exception of making new friends from the people who autographed the stuff.
And Moffat chose not to sign it after that explanation?

Its a little disappointing to hear a couple here have had negative encounters with him due to the signature thing.
But its also disappointing people just try and make some quick cash out of it and ruin it for genuine fans.
I'd never pay for a signature, but I'd never use it to make money either.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 02:37 (Ref:3773941)   #47
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem is, he knows it happens, but he can't really tell who will do it. So he can either stop doing it totally (everyone really gets the irates), do it all the time (and watch some of those go on selling sites for the recipient to make a profit), or pick and chose (and sometimes get the call wrong)
Old 13 Oct 2017, 10:50 (Ref:3773980)   #48
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Moffat should have done a few hundred autographed copies and sold them online to willing fans.

Happy to buy a specially autographed one at a reasonable price.
Old 13 Oct 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3773993)   #49
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When it comes to signatures, I don't get them very often, and keep it to my own photography. When a pic is worthy of being enlarged to poster size, then I chase the relevant signatures and they do not get sold. Never yet had to pay for a signature. Had a good run at the 2014 12 Hour getting all the signatures I wanted on earlier pics, plus a decade earlier got all 4 drivers + Garry Rogers on a pic of the first B24 winning Monaro. Don't have Mr Moffat's autograph, but that's because he stopped racing before I started taking decent pics. Brocky lives on in a pic from the '95 AGP event.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aj95AhorJw08jGCTamdJexbQ6x4q
Old 13 Oct 2017, 11:45 (Ref:3773995)   #50
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
And Moffat chose not to sign it after that explanation?

Its a little disappointing to hear a couple here have had negative encounters with him due to the signature thing.
But its also disappointing people just try and make some quick cash out of it and ruin it for genuine fans.
I'd never pay for a signature, but I'd never use it to make money either.
Had to butter him up (speak to his ego) to sign the lid. I don't mind paying a small fee for an autograph, (Comic-Conventions do this all the time, I paid $100 to get two autographs from the actor Karl Urban one year) it was just Moffat's attitude and lack of empathy, manners and positive personality that got me.