Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 14 Apr 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3815466)   #951
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To send more by rail is a great ides. The problem is that the railway is such an inefficient entity and the rail operators are money grabbers. Should the rail networks ever become a reasonably priced efficient industry, both passenger and freight, the unions would soon wreck it.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 22:29 (Ref:3815554)   #952
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
To send more by rail is a great ides. The problem is that the railway is such an inefficient entity and the rail operators are money grabbers. Should the rail networks ever become a reasonably priced efficient industry, both passenger and freight, the unions would soon wreck it.
I thought they already did, isn't that why they're in such a parlous state? They certainly appear to resist most forms of progress and change.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 08:05 (Ref:3815959)   #953
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
I thought they already did, isn't that why they're in such a parlous state? They certainly appear to resist most forms of progress and change.
Isn't their current complaint about the idea of only having a driver on the train, apart from driving the train he will become responsible for all the other activities that guards, ticket collectors etc. perform.
If I was a passenger I'd be worried about that as well for many reasons.
Given the prices they charge and the other costs involved it seems ludicrous that the rail companies feel the need to save one wage per train, but they need to keep their huge profit margins.

As Andy97 said there is an alternative to road and rail and other countries still make use of their inland waterways (and are upgrading them), but they do have the advantage of being a bit wider than the average UK canal!
The problem is that building roads is the cheapest upfront option (and cheapest is always the preferred UK option) looking at the long rather than short term future/costs would make a difference.

The cost of all such infrastructure is high but other countries manage to pay for it - however they tend to have higher tax rates.
As with all the other services that have been decimated the choice would seem to be you either pay more tax or you get what you aren't paying for.

Last edited by PeterMorley; 16 Apr 2018 at 08:17.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3816009)   #954
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
The cost of all such infrastructure is high but other countries manage to pay for it - however they tend to have higher tax rates.
Not mentioning countries where people pay for it and get few regarding the money involved or strikes for it…*
Old 16 Apr 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3816014)   #955
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In many locations, embassies arrange gatherings for their countrymen/women. In Beijing there was the dragon club, the King's Head in Ankara, etc. They also sometimes arrange charity events such as Burns' Nights. On that point I sent a message to the British Embassy in Tirana on 17 November 2016, asking if they organised events for British Expats in the city.

They replied today..........................................................
Old 16 Apr 2018, 16:00 (Ref:3816029)   #956
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
In many locations, embassies arrange gatherings for their countrymen/women. In Beijing there was the dragon club, the King's Head in Ankara, etc. They also sometimes arrange charity events such as Burns' Nights. On that point I sent a message to the British Embassy in Tirana on 17 November 2016, asking if they organised events for British Expats in the city.

They replied today..........................................................
The post mules in Albania are not noted for speed, Peter.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 16:42 (Ref:3816033)   #957
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well yes. The Klacks stopped when Xhoxha died.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3816042)   #958
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well yes. The Klacks stopped when Xhoxha died.
Enver is an anagram of never, after all.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 04:22 (Ref:3816097)   #959
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

As with all the other services that have been decimated the choice would seem to be you either pay more tax or you get what you aren't paying for.
That has hit the nail on the head. It's a simple choice that we don't seem to want to acknowledge.

It would be a start if "family allowance" (or whatever it is called theses days), winter fuel allowance, and bus passes were only paid out to those in need, rather than universally.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 06:25 (Ref:3816108)   #960
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Means testing" is total anathema to certain sectors of our society.

After all how would Mike put diesel in his lorry if he didn't get his winter fuel allowance If his truck is anything like mine it'll get him to the channel on one trip, anyway

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 17 Apr 2018, 06:36 (Ref:3816109)   #961
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
After all how would Mike put diesel in his lorry if he didn't get his winter fuel allowance If his truck is anything like mine it'll get him to the channel on one trip, anyway
Need more than one winter fuel allowance to fill my truck up!

A first EVER this morning- The P&O ferry left early........ Maybe it was an earlier one that was very late.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 06:37 (Ref:3816111)   #962
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"Means testing" is total anathema to certain sectors of our society.
Yes, I get that, of course people won't actually vote for it, but people getting hand outs they don't actually need whilst some services are crying out for more funding, and whilst the Press is continually highlighting resource shortfall issues in the public services, is an anathema to me.

And whilst I do think that the country, as a whole, does need to pay more tax, it would be wrong to increase the tax bill of the lower paid, whilst others are receiving benefits for things that they can afford themselves.

Last edited by andy97; 17 Apr 2018 at 06:43.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 06:40 (Ref:3816113)   #963
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
That has hit the nail on the head. It's a simple choice that we don't seem to want to acknowledge.

It would be a start if "family allowance" (or whatever it is called theses days), winter fuel allowance, and bus passes were only paid out to those in need, rather than universally.
But how do I heat the swimming pool in the depths of winter ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Apr 2018, 07:14 (Ref:3816119)   #964
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Andy - I totally agree. I think means testing is the only fair and moral way of proceeding.

As an aside, I've clearly been on this forum too long. I mis-spelt "moral" and one of the options my auto correct gave me was "Norfolk"!

Old 17 Apr 2018, 07:50 (Ref:3816123)   #965
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Yes, I get that, of course people won't actually vote for it, but people getting hand outs they don't actually need whilst some services are crying out for more funding, and whilst the Press is continually highlighting resource shortfall issues in the public services, is an anathema to me.

And whilst I do think that the country, as a whole, does need to pay more tax, it would be wrong to increase the tax bill of the lower paid, whilst others are receiving benefits for things that they can afford themselves.
The whole system is geared up towards (ran by) the wealthy.
It's not difficult to avoid penalising the low paid - increase higher tax rates.

Given the nature of this forum, it's interesting to look at tax rates in the historic period, something like 50% purchase tax on cars, 90% income tax in the 50s & 60s - and the people paying those rates somehow survived.

It's sad that the poor people who think the EU is to blame for their situation voted for tax cuts which won't have made a noticeable difference to their incomes whereas the rich benefit vastly.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 07:51 (Ref:3816124)   #966
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Andy - I totally agree. I think means testing is the only fair and moral way of proceeding.

As an aside, I've clearly been on this forum too long. I mis-spelt "moral" and one of the options my auto correct gave me was "Norfolk"!

I'm glad that Norfolk is a moral place, am due to stay near Norwich on Sunday!
Old 17 Apr 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3816127)   #967
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm glad that Norfolk is a moral place, am due to stay near Norwich on Sunday!

Lucky you! However, if you are planning on going via the M11, best take an off-roader, the road is in a dreadful state & even makes Belgian motorways look good. It is riddled with potholes, some of quite serious proportions. I went to Norfolk last week & am amazed I didn't ruin any tyres.

Also, avoid the Stansted Services. It took us 15 minutes to get from the car park back to the motorway, & that was on a Monday afternoon!
Old 17 Apr 2018, 13:36 (Ref:3816178)   #968
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Right on all points, John. Birchanger is now gridlocked for a lot of the day, most days! I avoid like the plague...

But having said that- Diesel on A26 Autoroute up to €1.59 a litre! Ouch.... Gerard, what are your politicians up to? Luckily I’m overnighting off the toll roads so can find a Leclerc or whatever to top up at.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 13:52 (Ref:3816179)   #969
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Right on all points, John. Birchanger is now gridlocked for a lot of the day, most days! I avoid like the plague...

But having said that- Diesel on A26 Autoroute up to €1.59 a litre! Ouch.... Gerard, what are your politicians up to? Luckily I’m overnighting off the toll roads so can find a Leclerc or whatever to top up at.
I wouldn't normally stop at Birchanger but a case of needs must for my passenger! Bit dismayed to be followed in by a police van with blue lights but he rushed up to the back of a removal lorry in the truck park, so presumably someone had some unwanted passengers!

As to the M11, I wouldn't want to be a 'biker.

Diesel at Leclerc/Auchan/Carrefour around here all about 1.37 at the moment.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 15:22 (Ref:3816201)   #970
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It was €1.39, so is that about 20 cents more than last year?

Maybe Italy will be cheaper? If so that will be a first....
Old 17 Apr 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3816202)   #971
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Gerard, what are your politicians up to?
Hey Mike, what do you think? We have very good ones, they invent new taxes everyday…*Deserving high salaries.
It seems that some have what we call "le feu sous sa chaise" which means something like "someone lit the coals under his chair" but not sure. John, please some help?
May be we should consider convert our diesel engines to "jaja engines", meaning they could accept low quality wines. We have some too!
Old 17 Apr 2018, 15:32 (Ref:3816204)   #972
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Italy could be around 1,43 €. Do you remember when we had to buy gazoline tickets before going to Monza or others when crossing the Aoste border? And when they gave you sweets instead of coins as change at the toll? Funny days! Anyway I love those people and their country.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 15:41 (Ref:3816206)   #973
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
It was €1.39, so is that about 20 cents more than last year?

Maybe Italy will be cheaper? If so that will be a first....
To be honest I've lost track, but it went up by something like 10 cents at the turn of the year & has crept a little bit more since then, another 1-2 cents in the last week or so. It's coming to something that I filled up at Sainsbury's in Folkestone last week on the way home - it used to be the other way round!

Last month in Essen I filled up at a little local Esso - not even a supermarket - for 1.11/litre. Naturally I squeezed in as much as possible. Didn't go any further afield in Germany, so don't know if that is typical.

My Alfa has now passed the 250,000km mark, so I might as well keep it now until it drops. In the meantime, I've just fired-up my little Peugeot for the first time in over a year as I need to move it before some tree fellers come in the morning. It's out of CT but I was going to spruce it up to sell. However, I just might keep it since it is petrol. It's 27 years old, so almost qualifies as a classic!

It's 21 degrees here this afternoon, so hope you are having a pleasant journey Mike. Having failed to go to Hockenheim, I'll probably have a look at the Croix 'GP Historique' this weekend, but judging by the website there won't actually be much to see, only HTC.
Old 17 Apr 2018, 15:42 (Ref:3816208)   #974
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I know its little interest for foreigners but Tour Auto grid can be seen on the 23rd in Grand Palais, Paris. Few Brits in fact but great ones! Ch Ward, E Type, Cottingham GT40 (2017 winner), B Gill Cobra, Hood MKII Jag'…
Old 17 Apr 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3816210)   #975
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Hey Mike, what do you think? We have very good ones, they invent new taxes everyday…*Deserving high salaries.
It seems that some have what we call "le feu sous sa chaise" which means something like "someone lit the coals under his chair" but not sure. John, please some help?
May be we should consider convert our diesel engines to "jaja engines", meaning they could accept low quality wines. We have some too!
Perhaps Gordon could send us a supply of cheap Spanish plonk!

You've reminded me of a story - a few years ago a broken-down Citroen Berlingo was towed into my friends' garage. The reason it had broken-down was that the owner had been running it on recycled cooking oil & had managed to completely clog-up the fuel system. Ironically, there were several cases of wine in the back of the van at the time, so perhaps he was running it on the wrong stuff.
Closed Thread