Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 29 Apr 2010, 19:53 (Ref:2681847)   #1
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andretti Autosport Signs Adam Carroll

Andretti Autosport has signed Adam Carroll, 27 year old, to drive a limited schedule of races in the IndyCar Series for the 2nd half of the season. Carroll won the 2008-2009 A1GP World Title for Team Ireland. Carroll has driven in Formula Renault Campus, Formula Ford, Formula 3, GP2, and A1GP race series.

His schedule and car assignment will be announced later.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 20:18 (Ref:2681864)   #2
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DanicaFan, i will warn you now, this guy is very much the real deal, if you start with the "unknown from europe, another backmarker taking up another seat" bit there will be a riot on this forum, , in all seriousness, he is from the top draw, i dont care if its a limited schedule, he will be top half dozen on the streets by season end.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2681865)   #3
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well done that man - I was worried he was going to get lost in the shuffle.
Adam is seriously quick.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2681906)   #4
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very cool, thanks DF.

Sad thing is that AA had always been rumored as a possible spot for Hildebrand. No room at the Inn now, even if you can afford to rent a room.

Good luck to Carroll!!
Old 29 Apr 2010, 21:59 (Ref:2681923)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
We have a silly season thread for stuff like this.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 22:31 (Ref:2681939)   #6
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
We have a silly season thread for stuff like this.
It would of got lost in the shuffle since that thread gets so big and Im almost positive someone else would of started an individual thread about his had I not.

cds_uk, I know nothing about this guy so I cant make a judgement yet. But I dont think he will beat any of his teammates this year. He will have to learn from them.

Im also worried that AA may be spreading themselves a little thin.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 22:47 (Ref:2681943)   #7
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Carroll & Danica have of course met before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHuxgZuVp-0
Old 29 Apr 2010, 23:07 (Ref:2681949)   #8
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is GREAT news! I was lamenting Adams absence from racing this season just last week.. I'm curious as to how he'll adapt to ovals, but am expecting him to be fast on the road courses straight off the plane..

Great news.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 23:38 (Ref:2681959)   #9
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonderful news, he's been quick in everything he's driven and thoroughly deserves it. Anybody doubting his abilities are going to be in for a big surprise !
Old 30 Apr 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2682326)   #10
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give him some time and he'll be every bit as quick as Wilson. The man's a star.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2682335)   #11
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news, this guy deserves it.
Old 30 Apr 2010, 19:35 (Ref:2682344)   #12
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm happy he's got a drive in a premier series... but I'm afraid its not enough. He should be in Formula One. You just need to look at what he did in a Class B F3 car a few years ago to realize how fantastic he is. A case of the one that got away
Old 3 May 2010, 03:47 (Ref:2683577)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh View Post
Good news, this guy deserves it.
He may well deserve the drive but IRL musical chairs is not going to help the IICS in the long run, it needs consistency to attract sponsors.

It makes no sense, having Izod the series sponsor pull RHR from the drive and their sponsored car. Izod are now going to waste money on updating their website, publicity and re-marketing. They obviously had more sponsor money than they were willing to let on.
Old 3 May 2010, 08:16 (Ref:2683634)   #14
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't know what IZOD does.

And i don't care, there's no IZOD here.
Old 3 May 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2683740)   #15
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news. Given a fair shot and he will do well.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 5 May 2010, 12:34 (Ref:2684780)   #16
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan View Post
cds_uk, I know nothing about this guy so I cant make a judgement yet. But I dont think he will beat any of his teammates this year. He will have to learn from them.
Bit of a contradiction there. With all due respect, how can you possibly form an opinion on his prospects without knowing a thing about him? As it seems you've never heard of any drivers coming over from Europe (though the likes of Carroll, Conway and Baguette are well known guys on the fringes of getting an F1 seat), can I humbly ask that you at least research their results first. I'm sure Carroll could learn from some of his team-mates, but he's seriously quick and shouldn't have much trouble adapting on road and street courses.
Old 5 May 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2684807)   #17
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanicaFan View Post
It would of got lost in the shuffle since that thread gets so big and Im almost positive someone else would of started an individual thread about his had I not.

Im also worried that AA may be spreading themselves a little thin.
DanicaFan - you're showing your ignorance here. Remember that Marco raced against Carroll in A1GP and Carroll proved himself to be considerably better.

Carroll has been in the frame for a couple of F1 seats recently. He would rank in the top 20-30 drivers in the world. He is probably the most talented driver to enter Indycars in years and will probably dominate once he has a couple of years experience. Lesser drivers such as Bourdais and Zanardi have dominated Indycars in the past.

As a Danica Fan, it is understandable that you would have a grudge against an ex-A1GP driver. Afterall, Danica was supposed to drive in A1GP - attempts were abandoned as she wasnt physically able to handle the car.
Old 5 May 2010, 22:46 (Ref:2685073)   #18
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is great news Adam Carrol should be right up there quickly, a real talent.
Old 6 May 2010, 09:02 (Ref:2685222)   #19
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoroughly deserved. I saw him in the GP2 race at the 2007 British Grand Prix and he left the rest of the field standing, correct me if I'm wrong but I think it may have been a one off drive as well. This guy is quick and should have been in F1 years ago, whether it was down to budget, not being in the right place at the right time or not being in with the right people I don't know. I look forward to this with interest.
Old 26 May 2010, 17:22 (Ref:2698706)   #20
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, this article appears to straighten things out a bit: Michael Andretti hired Carroll on talent, and neither has sufficient funding to run him.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/motorsport/2.../carrolla.html
Old 26 May 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2698708)   #21
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
DanicaFan - you're showing your ignorance here.

Carroll has been in the frame for a couple of F1 seats recently. He would rank in the top 20-30 drivers in the world. He is probably the most talented driver to enter Indycars in years and will probably dominate once he has a couple of years experience. Lesser drivers such as Bourdais and Zanardi have dominated Indycars in the past.
Two points:

1.) If Carroll is far superior to Bourdais and Zanardi, he would be in F1 right now, period.
2.) We heard the same thing about Doornbos. His best-ever finish was 9th in the IRL in 17 events and he was in a decent car.

I like Irishmen and nice to see an Irish driver. Although not if it bumps Hunter-Reay, a guy that has won a race this year (the team's first win in 2 years mind) and the series sponsor likes, out of a seat. The article above says Carroll isn't bringing money so there'd be no reason to replace Hunter-Reay with him (since Hunter-Reay doesn't bring money either, but Hunter-Reay has a performance record established so far this season with a win, a runner-up, and is currently the best-placed Andretti driver in the Championship in 4th). It's not like it's even an improvement as far as the type of racing. Hunter-Reay's strong on road courses, his weak point is ovals and Carroll would be worse there than him.

And if Hunter-Reay doesn't leave, is Andretti really going to have 5 cars when he doesn't have enough money at the moment to run the 4th and best-placed car (Hunter-Reay) for the full season?

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 26 May 2010 at 17:42.
Old 27 May 2010, 01:26 (Ref:2698959)   #22
fasteric
Rookie

United States
DC Metro area
fasteric should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
not sure what this means...On thrusday andretti autosport's Danica Patrick, Ryan hunter-Reay and Adam Carroll alongside the VP of marketing for Boost/virgin Mobile will annonce a "new relationship"...found it here under latest news..guess we'll find out tomorrow..and yes Andretti found out about Carroll when he was kicking butt (including Marco's) in A1GP.
Old 27 May 2010, 01:51 (Ref:2698967)   #23
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Yep, I was aware who Carroll was, but the expectation was that he was funded. Andretti already has a driver who is unsponsored after Texas.

Cavin didn't say what the AA announcement will be, but implied that it was not a big deal. We'll see.

As for learning to drive an IndyCar on ovals: one look at the Kansas race, or the grid for the 500, gives me the impression that it takes a good road racer about two days to get all of the speed out of the car there is to be had.
Old 27 May 2010, 02:14 (Ref:2698974)   #24
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It is excellent news he has got a ride of some description in a "top" series.

I am going to assume he will equip himself very well, given how good we know he is.

Will Power just might have some work on his hands should Adam get a full-time ride with Ganassi or Penske in the future.
Old 27 May 2010, 07:58 (Ref:2699055)   #25
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
Two points:

1.) If Carroll is far superior to Bourdais and Zanardi, he would be in F1 right now, period.
Wrong, unless you are taken under the wing of somebody young or get picked up before the money runs out, it's probably more down to budget than talent these days.