Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 10 Jan 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1197224)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IndyCar Series drivers in the Daytona 24 hours.

I was just watching World Motor Sport on Sky, and it said that Dan and Dario, along with Dario's younger brother would race in the Daytona 24hrs! I haven't heard anything about this yet, has it been confirmed elsewhere?

Last edited by Down F0rce; 10 Jan 2005 at 13:15.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 13:19 (Ref:1197231)   #2
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it would be a good team if they do
Old 10 Jan 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1197253)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are doing.

It's Franchitti/Franchitti/Wheldon/Duno
Old 10 Jan 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1197283)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh no, maybe I spoke too soon
Old 10 Jan 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1197302)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the Brits all do 7h30 worth of stints, leaving Milka with just 90 minutes over the whole race, they should be okay...
Old 10 Jan 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1197523)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this is one of the more interesting Daytona 24 lineups. The way things are going it could really grow in importance in a couple of years. Think about it, you've got some of the best from US sports cars, open wheel and stock cars who are competing in the same race. In terms of driver "name power", it's a serious threat to world renown races like Le Mans and Indy!
Old 10 Jan 2005, 19:54 (Ref:1197545)   #7
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
I was just watching World Motor Sport on Sky, and it said that Dan and Dario, along with Dario's younger brother would race in the Daytona 24hrs! I haven't heard anything about this yet, has it been confirmed elsewhere?
Have a look in this topic.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1197596)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Rolex 24 is fast becoming the most anticipated race of 05, in any series!

This series has grown from just 4 Daytona Prototypes 2 years ago, to over 30 today. Drivers and teams from all disciplines are eager to get involved and be seen in these cars and this race. They are really onto a great formula, affordable cars, close racing, lead changes, and top drivers from many different series. I think GARRA has what it takes to bring sports car racing to the masses, and really make it popular here again.

Now if only open wheel racing can build this kind of excitement...

Danica Patrick
Old 10 Jan 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1197620)   #9
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thread title edited.

There's quite a few of our boys in this race!

IndyCar Series Rolex 24 participants:
No. 03 Target Chip Ganassi Racing: Scott Dixon and Darren Manning
No. 2 Citgo Howard Boss Motorsports: Dan Wheldon and Dario Franchitti
No. 39 Orbit Racing: Scott Sharp
No. 44 Doran Racing: Bryan Herta
No. 67 Krohn Racing TRG: Buddy Rice

I'll definitaly watch this one. I've been meaning to get into GrandAm and sportscar racing and this seems like the perfect start.

What day is the race? And will it be broadcast in the UK? I'd hope so, it's a big race...
Old 10 Jan 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1197628)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can include Ryan Briscoe in this section.

He's in the other Ganassi car with Pruett and Diaz.
Old 10 Jan 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1197642)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The race starts at 12 PM Saturday afternoon, Feb 5, to 12 PM Feb. 6. It'll be on Speed Channel here in the states.

There will also be a number of OWRS and NASCAR drivers on hand for this race, so everyone will have a good reason to watch.

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Jan 2005, 01:11 (Ref:1197762)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Here's a more detailed list of the guys, thier cars and thier team mates.

Number - Team - Engine/Chassis - Drivers

01 - Target Chip Ganassi Racing - Lexus/Riley - Ryan Briscoe/Scott Pruett/Luis Diaz

2 - Citgo Howard Boss Motorsports - Pontiac/Crawford - Dan Wheldon/Dario Franchitti/Marino Franchitti/Milka Duno

03 - Target Chip Ganassi Racing - Lexus/Riley - Scott Dixon/Darren Manning/Casey Mears

39 - Orbit Racing - Pontiac/Riley - Scott Sharp/Jim Matthews/Marc Goossens/Guy Smith

44 - Doran Racing - Pontiac/Doran - Bryan Herta/Bobby Labonte/Terry Labonte/Jan Magnussen

67 - Krohn Racing TRG - Pontiac/Riley - Buddy Rice/Tracy Krohn/Nic Jonsson
Old 11 Jan 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1198166)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
The Rolex 24 is fast becoming the most anticipated race of 05, in any series!
I'm actually looking forward more to the return of open-wheel racing at the Glen myself

That is, of course, in part due to the fact that I'm fairly confident I should get at least highlights of that race, which is far from certain when it comes to the Rolex 24 Hours.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1198170)   #14
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Yes ,open wheel racing back at the Glen will be great. And don't forget that the Grand Am series will be racing there on the same weekend, making for one of the best racing weekends of the year. I definetly have my sights set on getting there for this one.

To bad you only get some highlights of the IRL over there. I know your one of the biggest and most knowledgable IndyCar fans around. With all of the big names involved in the Daytona 24 this year, I'm kind of surprised you won't see any of it...

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Jan 2005, 15:58 (Ref:1198211)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

I'm very thankful those of us in the UK get every IndyCar race live, and I believe we will have highlights of the Daytona 24h on Sky's World Mototsport.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1198414)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hadn't heard about Herta. He's certainly on with an interesting lineup. Why isn't Papis in the 01 car? edit: Just found out that he changed teams. Seems odd, I wonder if he had a falling out with that pleasent fellow Mr. Ganassi?

Last edited by Snrub; 11 Jan 2005 at 20:29.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1198422)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Snrub - It wasn't a falling out, it's just that this deal is a better fit with Max's status as a factory Corvette driver in ALMS.
Old 11 Jan 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1198424)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
KB, I didn't realize that.

For a full listing of the DP lineup I found this link in the sports car forum:
http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/dp.asp

Some other non-IRL but notable crossover entries:
Howard-Boss Motorsports - Jimmie Johnson, Elliot Forbes-Robinson, Butch Leitzinger
Howard-Boss Motorsports - Andy Wallace, Tony Stewart, Jan Lammers
Bell Motorsports - Terry Borcheller, Paul Tracy, Ralf Kelleners, Christian Fittipaldi
Silverstone Racing Services / Newman Racing - Paul Newman, Michael Brockman, Cristiano da Matta, Sebastien Bourdais
Ten Motorsports - Michael McDowell, Memo Gidley, Michael Valiante, Jonathan Bomarito
Old 11 Jan 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1198436)   #19
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You missed the following crossovers:

Chip Ganassi Racing - Jamie McMurray (NEXTEL Cup), Stefan Johansson, Cort Wagner

Doran Racing - Bobby Labonte (NEXTEL Cup), Terry Labonte (NEXTEL Cup), Bryan Herta, Jan Magnussen

Multimac Motorsports - Scott Maxwell, Kurt Busch (NEXTEL Cup), Matt Kenseth (NEXTEL Cup), Greg Biffle (NEXTEL Cup)

Old 12 Jan 2005, 06:57 (Ref:1198708)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I didn't miss them, Rustyfan.
What experience do the Labontes have in similar circumstances, save the two roadcourses that NASCAR runs every year? Perhaps they have loads and I don't realize it, that's why I'm posing the question. But I must admit that I was wondering what was going through Jan's and Bryan's heads.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 07:08 (Ref:1198709)   #21
Cambo
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
Cambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
know Terry Labonte has "done" a few 24's previously but ti think this is Bobby's 1st 24hr race. should be a fantastic race to watch. Wonder if there will be any coverage here in Australia. We do get some Grandam racing through ESPN which it gets it from SPEED but you’re never really told when it’s on. But hey at least we got solid IRL and NASCAR coverage, overall I’m not complaining.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 07:19 (Ref:1198713)   #22
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since road courses have been added to the IRL schedule, it's normnal that races like Rolex 24 become very attractive to IRL drivers.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1198717)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
My point was this...
Jan and Bryan are both proven to be capable of the task. Their resumes are filled with road courses. And I honestly (and out of ignorance) question the driver lineup for that team.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 07:36 (Ref:1198718)   #24
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I now realize that I've taken this thread not only off-topic, but off-forum.
Ignore me. Sorry.
Old 12 Jan 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1198752)   #25
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
From 1981-87 Terry Labonte made seven starts and posted an overall best finish of sixth.