Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Aug 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2746798)   #1
Newall Andy
Rookie

Newall Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington Now!

By the way.. not sure if this should be a new thread or not, but , just spent all day testing on the new Donington track. Not sure, .... its like getting back with an ex girl friend only to find out its not like before, if you know what I mean.

A.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2746808)   #2
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newall Andy View Post
By the way.. not sure if this should be a new thread or not, but , just spent all day testing on the new Donington track. Not sure, .... its like getting back with an ex girl friend only to find out its not like before, if you know what I mean.

A.
Ah, so you were one of those making the noise today.

I presume the primary difference that matters is the moved esses?

Someone told me that the bikers like it 'cos the start/finish straight is longer. What's your view from a car perspective?

(Probably OT, possibly should be a new thread if the question generates debate .... ?)
Old 19 Aug 2010, 05:05 (Ref:2746931)   #3
Newall Andy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Ah, so you were one of those making the noise today.

I presume the primary difference that matters is the moved esses?

Someone told me that the bikers like it 'cos the start/finish straight is longer. What's your view from a car perspective?

(Probably OT, possibly should be a new thread if the question generates debate .... ?)
Apart from the Esses, the rest of the track is the same. The new section turns right at the same point that the GP link turns left.
Its about the same turn in speed as before but much quicker on the way out.The down side is , if you spin under braking on the way in your in the gravel.... safety cars etc etc etc They should have made the run off tarmac. The big bonus is,if you drop it on the way out you dont hit the end of the pit wall.You are going about 10 mph faster when arriving at Redgate.
At present the track is very green, no grip, so the lap times are not that different, but I think its going to be about 2 secs faster after the Masters test on Friday ?.

A.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 07:10 (Ref:2746953)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There you go, Andy. You have your new thread.

Sounds like the circuit retains pretty much its old character on track, but I wonder about viewing from spectator/photograper point of view. Loads of earthworks about?
Old 19 Aug 2010, 07:40 (Ref:2746968)   #5
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

A.
No I dont! what do you mean? which girl! how did you know? when was this?
Old 19 Aug 2010, 08:40 (Ref:2746994)   #6
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My understanding is the MSA/ACU asked for the chicane to be moved. I think they've probably wanted it shifting for years and the refurb of the track presented a logical time to do it.

I'm sorry, but of all Donington has been through to come back with its only real change being the chicane shifted slightly. And already some are on the attack.

If Donington were that ex-girl you went back to then Donington is probably now realising why it ended in the first place too.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 09:02 (Ref:2747004)   #7
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My understanding was that all of the changes, which include spectator protection debris fencing alterations at some ppoints and changes in the height of concrete walls and so on, were required by FIA standard for new circuits. This because the original licence had lapsed. For a renewal things would have been accepted as they were.

In terms of spectator access and photographic opportunities ... who knows? The iconic esses photo shot will be no more as it was, though with fences around only those with media accreditation had much chance with it anyway. Some of the other locations are likely to be fairly unusable at this stage if the infield remains fully closed. They may not be great even if it is open given the works carried out.

On the other hand the new esses layout may introduce new viewing and photographic opportunities.

I would guess that +10mph into Redgate and that coinciding with the pit exit might prove interesting in the early days until people become conditioned to the change.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 09:03 (Ref:2747007)   #8
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
... And already some are on the attack.

If Donington were that ex-girl you went back to then Donington is probably now realising why it ended in the first place too.
I don't think he was on the attack - just pointing out that it seems a bit different and perhaps a run-off area could have been better if it was tarmac.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 09:39 (Ref:2747031)   #9
Newall Andy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I don't think he was on the attack - just pointing out that it seems a bit different and perhaps a run-off area could have been better if it was tarmac.
Im not on the attack... just glad its open again. The new corner could have been alot worse ie Snetterton type corner before the pit straight.

What is interesting is that Adroit have shipped out and Kevin Weatcroft is now running that Track.

A.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 10:58 (Ref:2747061)   #10
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Im not on the attack... just glad its open again. The new corner could have been alot worse ie Snetterton type corner before the pit straight.

What is interesting is that Adroit have shipped out and Kevin Weatcroft is now running that Track.

A.
Apologies. To use the analogy you started out with, I may have reacted like I thought you called my girl fat!
Old 19 Aug 2010, 11:16 (Ref:2747074)   #11
Newall Andy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
Apologies. To use the analogy you started out with, I may have reacted like I thought you called my girl fat!
Dont worry i thinks shes very nice... scrubs up well

Cheers,

A.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 11:44 (Ref:2747085)   #12
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a few photos of the new bits on Dailysportscar.com [subscription required though]