Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 2 May 2012, 16:16 (Ref:3068354)   #251
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross View Post
Yes, have seen the track layout for Charlotte and this will be similar for Texas from what I understand. Uses the pitlane, front straight of the oval and the mini ovals. Cool jump and a couple of other surprises that I am not sure if I am allowed to share.
Sounds interesting, look forward to seeing more!

Quote:
I am 99% sure that X Games will use the same layout as last year.
With the same tarmac and dirt sections again?
Old 2 May 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3068361)   #252
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I believe so but X Games always comes together pretty late....
Old 2 May 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3068436)   #253
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That Barcelona date might end up clashing with the F1 race.
Old 3 May 2012, 14:25 (Ref:3068840)   #254
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
So they could catch some fans if races are held in later afternoon!
Old 3 May 2012, 15:13 (Ref:3068869)   #255
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There are some things the purists won't like (nothing new there) but this will be amazing exposure for the sport, drivers, sponsors and manufacturers.
Guess you would call me a purist but I am intrigued as to what other innovations the GRC are coming up with, maybe a few guesses would be fun! Also where will the non tarmac sections be on these circuits?

As long as the basic principles of the sport remain then I have no problem with new ideas but if things became radically different then surely a point would come when the only thing the sports would have in common is the name and the type of cars used and I dont believe its the type of cars that make rallycross the motorsport it is but the format.

Last edited by BertMk2; 3 May 2012 at 15:38.
Old 3 May 2012, 16:01 (Ref:3068888)   #256
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like Subaru have themselves a couple of new drivers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxrXOUCd2Zc

...I wonder if this means no Higgins in the GRC in in 2012, or if he will be fielded by the SRTUSA team? (Who I imagine are running the Subaru Puma team anyway).

Great to see Isachsen will be back in action in 2012, the Impreza should hopefully be a much more reliable platform this time around.
Old 3 May 2012, 16:31 (Ref:3068900)   #257
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Higgins is focused on another Rally America title with Subaru Team USA. Subaru USA are a huge supporter of rallycross because it brings their prowess to a wider audience than rallying ever can.

I think budget has always been the issue because they had the three cars that Eklund re-engineered pre X Games last year. Mirra always brings drama and he is an awesome guy all round; Lasek will bring the crowds which is great news and well, we all know what Sverre brings to the party.

Not sure if the platform is quite there but Pastrana showed that a great driver can put an ok car in good spots and would expect Sverre to do the same.

Also cool that they are running 3 cars. I feared for a while it would just be one. We need Scott-Eklund to find a second driver for theirs and huge shame that Dodge won't run their second car.

I am still trying to find out who, if any, of the "privateers" may come out to play this year. The quality is a lot better than 2011 but still need numbers.

Mark
Old 3 May 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3068911)   #258
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by USRallycross
Higgins is focused on another Rally America title with Subaru Team USA. Subaru USA are a huge supporter of rallycross because it brings their prowess to a wider audience than rallying ever can.
That figures. Shame if he doesn't come back to the GRC (or X-Games at least), given that he made it to the podium last year.

Comparing the performance between X-Games 16 and 17 the GR Imprezas - although they looked virtually the same - were like two completely different cars performance wise.

As a Subaru supporter X-Games 16 was painful to watch: it was just a series of breakages and failures from cars that were obviously being pushed way beyond what they were built for (which figures as it seemed like they had just take the RA Open Class rally cars and tried to step them up as rallycross cars). Isachsens car lasted less then a lap if I recall, which just seemed a huge waste.

At X-Games 17 the cars were far more competitive though, plus they seemed to run the whole weekend without any major issues (I know Mirra had a little pre-jump moment, but thats all I can remember). Vermont had a few videos up of the GR build for XG17 and the cars "looked" more like proper rallycross cars as well (if that makes sense).
Old 3 May 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3069026)   #259
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasing cars View Post
Guess you would call me a purist but I am intrigued as to what other innovations the GRC are coming up with, maybe a few guesses would be fun! Also where will the non tarmac sections be on these circuits?
I'd love to see this. However, you can't get a firetruck to build such a stage.

Old 4 May 2012, 02:58 (Ref:3069070)   #260
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I'd love to see this. However, you can't get a firetruck to build such a stage.

We have just had two of the best rounds of the European Rallycross Championship held in similar conditions
Old 4 May 2012, 08:27 (Ref:3069151)   #261
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Guess you would call me a purist but I am intrigued as to what other innovations the GRC are coming up with, maybe a few guesses would be fun!
Haha! I think NaBUru38 has a good guess: a big water splash would probably look cool.

Given that the races are being held on NASCAR circuits though, perhaps they might try and arrange a repeat of Montoyas firework show from earlier in the year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okNId-frZRc

So with the "new" team annouced, how many drivers does that give the GRC? Who is definately driving in 2012?

Marcus Gronholm - Ford Fiesta Mk.7 (Best Buy Racing)
David Binks - Ford Fiesta Mk.7 (Best Buy Racing)
Tanner Foust - Ford Fiesta Mk.7 (Rockstar Energy)
Toomas Heikkinen - Ford Fiesta Mk.7 (?)
Ken Block - Ford Fiesta H.F.H.V. (Mk.7) (Monster World Rally Team)
Liam Doran - Citroen C4 (Monster Energy)
Sverre Isachsen - Subaru Impreza GR (Subaru/Puma)
Dave Mirra - Subaru Impreza GR (Subaru/Puma)
Bucky Lasek - Subaru Impreza GR (Subaru/Puma)
Travis Pastrana - Dodge Dart (Red Bull)
Rhys Millen - Hyundai Veloster (Rhys Millen Racing)
Stéphane Verdier - Hyundai Veloster (Rhys Millen Racing)
Andy Scott - Saab 93 (Scott-Eklund Racing)
? - Saab 93 (Scott-Eklund Racing)

13 confirmed drivers, 14 confirmed cars: am I missing anyone?

Last edited by tbtstt; 4 May 2012 at 08:42. Reason: Remembered another driver!
Old 4 May 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3069283)   #262
USRallycross
Racer

United States
You are missing Brian Deegan. Ford Fiesta Mk7 (Rockstar)

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a couple more out there that I don't know about. I am sure when we are testing this week I will discover more.

A water splash? I think you will be surprised........
Old 4 May 2012, 12:16 (Ref:3069291)   #263
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes, have seen the track layout for Charlotte and this will be similar for Texas from what I understand. Uses the pitlane, front straight of the oval and the mini ovals. Cool jump and a couple of other surprises that I am not sure if I am allowed to share.

My guess is the tracks will be fast but have a true hairpin which should look really cool on the e-brake. In theory a lot of overtaking points although some drivers seem to see anything as a "gap"

Most impressively is that it is on the front straight away at these speedways and not tucked away. On the Saturday we should be an hour or so after the Nationwide race so could still have 40-60,000 people in attendance. At Texas we are the warm-up for the IndyCar race that night.
One observation on the location, and that is when NASCAR have accidents on the exit of T4 on Tri-ovals ... wreckage or avoiding cars and sometimes both end up on the Grass infield of the tri-oval.

Not sure how having a RallyX set up in the middle of that is going to work?
Old 4 May 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3069319)   #264
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
You are missing Brian Deegan. Ford Fiesta Mk7 (Rockstar)
Oops, knew I'd forget at least one!

Marcus Gronholm - Ford Fiesta Mk.7 (Best Buy Racing/OMSE)
David Binks - Ford Fiesta Mk.7 (Best Buy Racing/OMSE)
Tanner Foust - Ford Fiesta Mk.7 (Rockstar Energy/OMSE)
Brian Deegan - Ford Fiesta Mk.7 (Rockstar Energy/OMSE)
Toomas Heikkinen - Ford Fiesta Mk.7 (OMSE)
Ken Block - Ford Fiesta H.F.H.V. (Mk.7) (Monster World Rally Team)
Liam Doran - Citroen C4 (Monster Energy)
Sverre Isachsen - Subaru Impreza GR (Subaru/Puma)
Dave Mirra - Subaru Impreza GR (Subaru/Puma)
Bucky Lasek - Subaru Impreza GR (Subaru/Puma)
Travis Pastrana - Dodge Dart (Red Bull/OMSE?)
Rhys Millen - Hyundai Veloster (Rhys Millen Racing)
Stéphane Verdier - Hyundai Veloster (Rhys Millen Racing)
Andy Scott - Saab 93 (Scott-Eklund Racing)
? - Saab 93 (Scott-Eklund Racing)

14 confirmed drivers, 15 confirmed cars. Any ideas who is going to be taking the second Saab yet? I'm curious to see if OMSE will run the Dodge Dart, or have they just done the build and will now hand it over to the Dodge team? Could see it potentially being a conflict of interests otherwise?
Old 4 May 2012, 14:47 (Ref:3069364)   #265
USRallycross
Racer

United States
OMSE will not run the Dodge Dart.

The track is temporary and will not be in place when the NASCAR or IndyCars are on track. SMI have some creative plans........
Old 4 May 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3069379)   #266
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Looks like Subaru have themselves a couple of new drivers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxrXOUCd2Zc
Looks like they filmed that at Monticello.
Old 5 May 2012, 08:38 (Ref:3069608)   #267
juha205
Rookie

Spain
Galicia (Northwest Spain)
juha205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Temporary track? So... no gravel sections?
Old 5 May 2012, 09:16 (Ref:3069622)   #268
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A water splash? I think you will be surprised........
See 3, 'Car Wash'...

http://www.racer.com/global-rallycro...rticle/238595/
Old 5 May 2012, 09:59 (Ref:3069657)   #269
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by juha205 View Post

Temporary track? So... no gravel sections?
But you get a Car wash,long jump,Hole shot light, Brake zone chicane and yes result a gap jump..
When's Austria? Oh 3 wks away thank god
Haha!
I should really embrace the new show!
At least Binksy has benefited out of it all.

Last edited by schanche; 5 May 2012 at 10:01. Reason: Not mentioned Volvo C30 in a while
Old 5 May 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3069674)   #270
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A carwash? Tell me this isn't serious? It all sounds like a bad '90s computer game.

Quote:
"In Rallycross, you get to jump, slide and bang. It's motocross with a roll cage," Pastrana said. "You're jumping 60 to 70 feet and probably 15 to 20 feet off the ground, so whatever car you are in it's a pretty exciting feeling. There's not a half jump or test jump so you have to jump it or not jump it, and there's usually a lot of carnage in practice and qualifying... It's going to be action packed with lots of banging, sheet metal flying everywhere and we'll definitely be flying these cars."
Says it all really.
Old 5 May 2012, 11:35 (Ref:3069725)   #271
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Sounds more like a circus act than rallycross.
Old 5 May 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3069745)   #272
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tunnel of fire to follow?
Old 5 May 2012, 13:44 (Ref:3069817)   #273
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
And Cheer Leaders

Don't know thing about nasacar but be interesting to see the layout Spose? Why no gravel is that right!
Old 5 May 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3069824)   #274
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This would be halarious if it wasnt using the name rallycross.Please no comments about purists etc because this new form of American motorsport has little to do with rallycross. I cant believe Mark Williams really wanted it to go in this direction but I guess people get blinded by dollar signs etc.

Also I dont think any publicity this gets will do any good for UK or European rallycross as they are now 2 quite different forms of motorsport.

I was under the impression that Liam Doran was doing the Austria ERC round instead of the opening round of the "Global" "Rallycross" Championship. Maybe they can get Dick Dastardly and Mutley to compete instead and add a few more obstacles!
Old 5 May 2012, 14:28 (Ref:3069837)   #275
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Car wash? Oh, dear!

Quote:
Also I dont think any publicity this gets will do any good for UK or European rallycross as they are now 2 quite different forms of motorsport.
Why so? It's rally cars running in a tight circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Which means, I'm sure I'kll see it some day. :P