Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 8 Jun 2017, 11:20 (Ref:3739452)   #126
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not much non-joker overtaking? Which circuits do you think offer better overtaking? Essay, loheac, maasmechelen, Lyngas, Holjes, montalegre? All not good for overtaking. And I know that because I've dared mention hallow turf of Lyngas you all be up in arms. Watch the clips. No overtaking without barging.

Lydden is one of the better circuits for overtaking actually.
Old 8 Jun 2017, 12:00 (Ref:3739459)   #127
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There has never been much overtaking in rallycross, it is the main reason why the joker lap was invented decades ago in Scandinavia.

Their tracks are notoriously tight.

It is a common problem

Lyngas was awful, a real one line place. But there juts happened to be some memorably rought and tough races there so it gets a mention.

The best tracks are usually the tight ones where contact is inevitable but light, such as the older Belgian tracks. Maasmechelen is truly awful!! but Ingelmunster and the other one were super arenas. actually very similar to a modern IMG car park venue.

It's always been an issue. Lydden flows more, but pasing there has always been harder, I think more so now with the lack of dirt. Was easier when you could set up a pass on the outside of Chessons or the exit, especially using clever tyre cuts.

All that has gone
Old 9 Jun 2017, 09:33 (Ref:3739643)   #128
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting to see an article in a popular Norwegian newspaper asking if rallycross has lost its soul.

While there are benefits to IMG being involved, losing soul is definitely something that has happened.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 18:24 (Ref:3739765)   #129
rx4u
Rookie

UK-ROI
Portsmouth
rx4u should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would love to know what drivers past and present (those that were Competing up until 3 years ago and have been outpriced or shunned by the current series)
With the new generation of spotty oiks who live of there parents hard graft spending there money on console games and watching YouTube videos of drifting burnouts and gymKazi with the likes of Block, one can't see rallycross ever returning to how it was. Maybe these folk like the thought of Music first then grab a bite to eat once the food has been digested whilst queuing for a **** watching rallycross in the distance if they can be asked although that would mean not looking at there phones
Old 9 Jun 2017, 18:48 (Ref:3739772)   #130
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now that's a stereotype!
Old 9 Jun 2017, 21:48 (Ref:3739810)   #131
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lots of people that think the sport has spun out of control, especially when it comes to costs. Schanche thought the sport had become condemnable (the sport as a whole) and apparently even Pucher has spoken about rising costs.

Many of the WRX teams and drivers are positive about the changes but whatever IMG does they never speak out, they are always positive. I wonder what would happen if a top driver in WRX lashed out against IMG.

But IMG never cared about the soul of rallycross, they just saw the difference in rallycross from other motorsports. I will always consider IMG's version of rallycross as a copy paste of speedway since the point and semi-final system is the same really, and also very weird.

Too add further info, FIA actually went out looking for a promoter some time after 2010, don't know when exactly. IMG was the only one interested though and got the rights to promote it.
Old 9 Jun 2017, 22:02 (Ref:3739811)   #132
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Again, I have no issue with someone coming in and doing some good things.

The sport has a bigger audience, has better promotion and better lots of things.

But the factory teams are not really factory, only Ford, the rest are still run by the old guard really, with dealer money or money that would have gone to rally or something.

The sport needed a shove, but it needed a sympathetic one, the private guys were dumped within a year as were the tracks.

They were all ;riced out as the juggernaut started rolling without a tractor unit attached.

And as I have said before some of the people responsible ARE the old guard and could have been the brake.

And for that I will always despise these people, they have only ever taken from rallycross, never, ever given anything back. Unlike their peers from the same era. That is unforgiveable.
Old 10 Jun 2017, 04:09 (Ref:3739851)   #133
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me all could be acceptable if there was a proper ERX attached for all European WRX rounds.

Acceptable would mean I would still visit the tracks I used to visit before. But I would never ever visit far away stadium tracks with just a handful of cars.

I won't mind watching YouTube (as long as it is not geo blocked!) as I can stream to my tv and if that means more coverage than that is fine. But sometimes it is like watching The Solberg, Ekström and Bakkerud show.

I cannot even call it a WRX as 12 rounds is the smallest of any decent World Championship! If you wanna play with the big boys, than play it big properly! F1 goes even beyond 20 in the future...
Old 29 Jun 2017, 21:58 (Ref:3747851)   #134
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silverstone RX Circuit.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	49948

Construction worker "We need to dig a hole to get the dirt for the jump"
Manager "Dig it over there, no one will see it"
Old 30 Jun 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3747979)   #135
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Now that's a sand trap.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 12:58 (Ref:3748620)   #136
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I can't really understand what 'facilities' Lydden is missing. Better garage facilities maybe but then there are plenty of us in the rallying community who survive perfectly okay with a transit van, a groundsheet and a tent cover.

And what does a rallycross track need? A track where everyone can see most of the action, toilets, a burger van, maybe space for hospitality and media - and that's about it? What is the point on spending £millions on superfluous facilities that are only used for major events two or three times a year? Ridge's football analogy is nonsense - top football teams play over 25 times a season at home and charge £40+ per ticket. We will just end up with unaffordable tickets, small crowds in empty stands.

Even in the 'spectator friendly' US they don't waste cash. Cranford's probably the best place in the world to watch offroad motorsport but they haven't spend silly money on facilities that only get limited use.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3748630)   #137
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Just shows how clueless the guy is about what he is writing about to be fair.

The event at Silvserstone is NOT aimed at rallycross fans, not at all. It is aimed at Silverstone Classic, Goodwood FoS, Coys, types.

People with more money, who what an EVENT, not a single motorsport series.

Clueless as you like, and sadly even those that belittle it on here, will still probably go nearer the time.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 15:00 (Ref:3748634)   #138
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
Personally I can't really understand what 'facilities' Lydden is missing.
The main problems at Lydden are toilets (I don't know why but they can't get it right) and getting traffic in and out (although again I don't see why that's such an issue - close one lane of the A2 so traffic entering or exiting Lydden is controlled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
The event at Silvserstone is NOT aimed at rallycross fans, not at all. It is aimed at Silverstone Classic, Goodwood FoS, Coys, types.

People with more money, who what an EVENT, not a single motorsport series.

Clueless as you like, and sadly even those that belittle it on here, will still probably go nearer the time.
I'm not even sure it's aimed at those 'types' of people - I think it's aimed more at the 'yoof' end of the market - gaming, 'street food' (I still can't believe that that's actually being listed on the event as a highlight), demos and whatever on the other bits of the circuit and as yet un-named music acts.

And I'm not going. If anyone sees me at this event next year they may kick me squarely in the testicles.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 15:07 (Ref:3748638)   #139
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

And I'm not going. If anyone sees me at this event next year they may kick me squarely in the testicles.
Same here!
Old 3 Jul 2017, 21:24 (Ref:3748700)   #140
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I'm not even sure it's aimed at those 'types' of people - I think it's aimed more at the 'yoof' end of the market - gaming, 'street food' (I still can't believe that that's actually being listed on the event as a highlight), demos and whatever on the other bits of the circuit and as yet un-named music acts.
I agree, the way it has been marketed so far doesn't seem like it is appealing to an older audience to me. I'm actually interested to see what music act(s) will be announced, as I think that will give a real gauge as to what sort of crowd they are aiming to bring in.

As for Lydden, I can see where the issues lie. Even Pat said he was unsurprised that they had lost the Championship round (in the Autosport article a few weeks ago). The facilities - for teams and the public - need updating and expanding. I just hope that the loss of the World Championship is enough to finally get the green light on the development work. I note as well that Lydden have dropped the upcoming round of the British Drift Championship, seemingly to win more favour with the locals.
Old 3 Jul 2017, 21:30 (Ref:3748702)   #141
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
As for Lydden, I can see where the issues lie. Even Pat said he was unsurprised that they had lost the Championship round (in the Autosport article a few weeks ago). The facilities - for teams and the public - need updating and expanding. I just hope that the loss of the World Championship is enough to finally get the green light on the development work. I note as well that Lydden have dropped the upcoming round of the British Drift Championship, seemingly to win more favour with the locals.
I saw something about the Drift event being dropped but it's still on the Lydden Hill website (and you can still buy tickets for it). I guess that's another aspect that Lydden need to improve on!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 11:28 (Ref:3752376)   #142
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, track looks like crap.
https://www.facebook.com/UKSpeedMach...4732366229834/

And for music acts, well.. little mix polluted my telly almost out of commision after the F1 Live London street fun. Don't get your hopes for the Foo Fighters, Radiohead or Ed Sheeran (to name the Glasto headliners) up to much I'd say.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:42 (Ref:3752586)   #143
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
IS that the stupidest, most pointless piece of nonsense you have ever seen or what?

is this supposed to whet anyones appetite for anything?
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:50 (Ref:3752591)   #144
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since it was on the facebook, I don't think it's for our age group.
I had to look that guy up, dj bbq, he runs an in your face loud and wild rolling grease spoon. That makes him a god, apparently. We useless mortals are so lucky to have had him won the tender for the food spot near the podium.
The idea was stolen too of course. Jamie Oliver in his VW making a salad on TG SE02EP02 was earlier, and I doubt that was original.
Old 22 Jul 2017, 11:36 (Ref:3753504)   #145
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It doesn't get any better does it! Never been a fan of Andrew RX Coley but this is something else! I cant believe they would sell one ticket off the back of this piece of utter tripe.

I also note the joker exit is right on the finish line so unless you gain time by getting a fast exit like Barcelona, the leader is nearly always going to take it at the end with no car to car action on the last lap,similar to estering.

I'm still hoping that someone pulls the plug on the whole thing or at least come to their senses and slash the prices.
One question, who would prefer no round in this country to this thing were getting next year assuming prices don't change?
Old 23 Jul 2017, 10:29 (Ref:3753723)   #146
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could tolerate all this superfluous crap if they had two things... 1, similar entries as Holjes or Loheac, with ERX supercars and 2, vaguely sensible pricing such as all other European events (around 50 Euro for the weekend). It's baffling to me that the event organisers allow for these ticket prices
Old 23 Jul 2017, 18:33 (Ref:3753805)   #147
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I will not ever tolerate all the nonsense, it is experimentation, that is all. they are using WRX as a sort of base to try and sell some sort of crappy car based extravaganza. The tickets are ludicrously priced, almost as if they do not want rallycross fans there deliberately. Easy then, I will not be going, and it's 40 miles away.

It will probably work, British people are staggeringly moronic when it comes to this kind of thing.

But rallycross for me died a long time ago, this is another nail in the coffin, and there are already hundreds, that lid ain't ever coming off.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 11:13 (Ref:3753921)   #148
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycrossnl View Post
Despite the fact he is a bit shouty at times, I like Andrew Coley: he always seems genuinely enthusiastic about rallycross...

...however I believe the other chap in that car is Christian Stevenson who is, unquestionably, the most irritating presenter I have ever seen covering live racing (he is also the chap who did the irritating voiceover in the Dirt 3 menus as well). I hope this is a one-off involvement with World Rallycross as it's bad enough they have got Neil Cole doing the TV coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
I could tolerate all this superfluous crap if they had two things... 1, similar entries as Holjes or Loheac, with ERX supercars and 2, vaguely sensible pricing such as all other European events (around 50 Euro for the weekend). It's baffling to me that the event organisers allow for these ticket prices
Yeah. If there was going to be a huge entry then there would be some justification for the price but, as you say, there seems to be little to encourage attendance from the rallycross fans at the moment.

I await the announcement of the music acts with bated breath...

Last edited by tbtstt; 24 Jul 2017 at 11:19.
Old 24 Jul 2017, 21:07 (Ref:3754094)   #149
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Coley is not actually a bad commentator, I just don't like his woeful diction and sort of shouty lads way of talking, but it is the modern way of talking about sport for modern, kids based sports like this, its not good if you are not shouting. Nonsense.

There is just something missing, you get no news like you did with Arthur who you felt was a journalist, not a radio presenter like Coley!!
Old 26 Jul 2017, 17:15 (Ref:3754533)   #150
chasing cars
Racer

chasing cars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Yeah. If there was going to be a huge entry then there would be some justification for the price but, as you say, there seems to be little to encourage attendance from the rallycross fans at the moment.

I await the announcement of the music acts with bated breath...
There is no justification for this price whatever the entry. Loheac which will undoubtedly get a big entry is I believe 45 euros for the weekend and free camping, I paid 20 euros for a weekend ticket at Barcelona which obviously included all the grandstand seats too, so tell me how Silverstone can justify £95 for a weekend ticket plus £45 to camp? For 2 adults with 2 teenage kids it will cost something like £440 for the weekend!!

As I've said before its only the music that will sell this event and yes if it was something like the Foo Fighters or Coldplay plus support acts then I'm sure tickets would sell but my feeling is its aimed more at the younger market, therefore could be something like Stormzy or scepta which I wouldnt pay £5 to see!