Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 26 Feb 2012, 14:56 (Ref:3031490)   #61
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks you for adding this method. A good secription with good images to back it up.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 13:35 (Ref:3031932)   #62
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!
I've added my first trial attempt at this as my http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132112 first design on my new thread.

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 27 Feb 2012 at 15:25.
Old 4 May 2012, 18:39 (Ref:3069449)   #63
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
New Member Scorpionek has a few questions...

Anyone want to help out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpionek
Hello,
How I can make e.g. grass, runoffs ect.
Can I draw on layer with google map and after drawing delete this layer? If yes then please tell me how.
Regrads
Old 4 May 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3069453)   #64
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
New Member Scorpionek has a few questions...

Anyone want to help out?
Generally, run off for me is designed by drawing barriers first,

From there, I'm drawing 2 lines from lines from barrier to track, and I use the offset tool to create the desired shape and widths.
Old 4 May 2012, 19:27 (Ref:3069461)   #65
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
If your using the latest Sketch-up V8, then you can import a location from Google earth (Geolocation tool under the file tab) and draw over it, but to be honest it's a bit awkward until you get used to it.

Best bet is to use the measuring tool over Google Earth, get some idea of real word sizes compared to the straights or curves. The Gravel trap at T1 of Catalunya for example. Then simply draw in your own.

As Tathrim said use the off-set tool to parallel the shape of the corner for that bit of Grass/astroturf before more tarmac or gravel.

Below is T1 of the circuit I'm currently working on.
Attached Thumbnails
Gravel 1.jpg   Gravel 2.jpg  

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 4 May 2012 at 19:38.
Old 5 May 2012, 07:39 (Ref:3069596)   #66
Scorpionek
Rookie

Poland
Scorpionek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, thanks guys, I'll start make my first circuit.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 21:54 (Ref:3100296)   #67
Viperion101
Racer

United States
Kansas City
Viperion101 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. What version are you using
2. Are these available on the free version
Old 30 Jun 2012, 22:28 (Ref:3100312)   #68
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The Latest version is Sketch-up 8 and yes it's the free version that I use, and I'm pretty sure everyone else does as well as it's a Licence buy these days.
Old 19 Mar 2014, 00:06 (Ref:3381721)   #69
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I've upgraded to Sketchup 2014

I've posted the beginnings of a circuit on my thread Here

It's if anything a bit retro in that the lines are drawn in really quite heavy and dark, but the on joining together or intersecting, the shape that's made changes to the lighter construction line that we are used to.

It makes it a lot easier to spot layering issues... those on the site when Sketch-up changed the light lines all the time will remember the consternation of layering issues that now couldn't be obviously seen.

As a result I find it quicker to use to get a design to the above stage, it mght even allow me to get further around the gravel traps before the next idea springs into my head and I loose interest.

A couple of grumbles, the tool box is floating, and I have worked out how to permanently nail it to the bottom or top of the screen.

Secondly while all the regular tools are there the have rebadged some of them.... remember I've jumped from Sketchup 8 to 2014 - there was a 2013 version so if you are or were using that, you might have seen some of the differences already.
Old 26 Apr 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3398396)   #70
JoeyBoy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bristol
JoeyBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Everyone,

I'm reasonably new to sketch up and I have a really dum question to ask:
How do I measure my track length?

Cadet Marshall @ Castle Combe Circuit
Old 26 Apr 2014, 22:47 (Ref:3398565)   #71
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Welcome to My Tracks

Easiest way I've found, once you have your track as a single line. Use the offset tool to give you the parallel line, this would be your track surface.
Selects he area enclose between the lines and right click choose selected area and measure. Dived the value you recive by the distance that you offset the initial line, this gives you the circuit length.

It's easier done than explained
Old 28 Apr 2014, 21:30 (Ref:3399398)   #72
pirenzo
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Collect the centreline entities into a component or group. You can then select them all and use the Entity Info box to see the length. Alternatively, make sure you start your centreline in its own layer and then use "select all on same layer" to select the whole centreline.

Seems easier than getting your calculator out
Old 25 Feb 2015, 15:14 (Ref:3508883)   #73
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Back to Basics and a request from HPmadness about drawing curves.

I'm using the free version of "Sketchup Make 2014", other versions may look slightly different.

Well lets start with a new page

Click image for larger version

Name:	Start.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	44542

Remove the scale figure and at that point I go into camera -> standard views -> Top

This gives me a plan view.

Name:	Plan.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	44543

I then using the box tool create my "sheet of paper", by zooming in and out you'll be able to make the Box as bog or small as you want. I tend to work on a real scale so my boxes will be 1200-1600m on the Red axis and 800-100m on the Green Axis. (Blue axis is vertical - 3D)

Name:	Box.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	44544

Select the curve tool click and hold down the button ath the start of your curve, and whilst holding down move the curser to the end point of the curve. There will be a dotted straight line form between the points.
On releasing the button, move the mouse and you will see the curve increase of decrease away from the straight line. The measure of bulge at the centre point is shown bottom right of the screen.
At either end point you can add a straight line, likewise you can put the start of a curve at the endpoint of an existing straight line.

Name:	Curve .jpg
Views:	6
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	44545

At this stage the most important thing is that you always see the "on the face" marker. That means that the curve is being drawn on the face you are looking at.