Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 28 Feb 2002, 08:16 (Ref:224232)   #16
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why did Mazda build Neal a 323 if he had raced an Xedos earlier in the season, and Mazda had pulled out anyway.
AFAIK, I heard the team that was responsible for the Mazda effort was hoping to continue development and racing without Works support. But that dream quickly disappeared.

Quote:
And why did the Andy Rouse Corolla never race, Patrick Watts was meant to race it in 1998?
Well, it turns out to homologate a car to FIA standards--which Andy Rouse was hoping to do--you need the manufacturer's blessing. But unfortunately, Toyota was refusing to give it's support. Theoretially, Andy Rouse could have been able to race if the BTCC organizers would give the car a special exemption. But without full FIA homogolation, it would have been hard to market the car as "privateer built/priced, works competitive/beating" car??? Why not support Andy? Hard to say. Some suggest it was b/c Toyota was intending to race the Altezza/Lexus IS200 in the very near BTCC future. Others think Toyota didn't want to confuse the public (or split their motorsport budget) since the Corolla was also being rallied as well. Would it be confusing to have a Rally and touring Corolla exist at the same time?? Do you want the Corolla to have a rally and adventurous image or do you want a racy touring car image??

Me? Heck, I think Toyota should have given Rouse the blessings. It wouldn't have cost Toyota a penny? Why not have a car show up for at least a few rounds? It's promoting your brand for crying out loud. OTOH, I guess Toyota didn't want to be embarassed if the car did poorly. If the car did poorly, I guess Toyota would almost be obliged to support them in order to defend the automaker's honour??? Am I getting to medieval???
Old 28 Feb 2002, 09:03 (Ref:224248)   #17
AdrianG
Racer

AdrianG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racer69
Yep, one of the 1994 Alfa's went to Australia and was raced by Garry Rogers Motorsport for Steven Richards in the 1995 ASTC. Raced once in 1996 (when Steven crashed his new Honda and couldn't get it repaired in time) and Auger bought it for the '97 ASTC and has raced it since. It won the 2000/2001 Independants title.
Yes this car was a 1994 Alfa, but it had never been raced before Garry Rogers bought it. It was in fact the Alfa Corse teams Italian based test car, and it was origanally yellow.
Old 3 Mar 2002, 17:56 (Ref:226999)   #18
alfaromeo
Rookie

alfaromeo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i just thought the red 94 alfa was a smart as anything with the front wing and rear spoiler. I also liked the look of the mazda(jaguar actually turned the design down and mazda bought it from them).
Old 27 Aug 2016, 01:46 (Ref:3667762)   #19
4dnut
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
4dnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mazda Xedos

Only ever 3 x built, Neale car written off.Slim Borgudd raced the Watts car. Watts car and Leslie car sold to Bob Schader in USA. Only painted on the exterior, Watts car still purple on the inside/engine bay etc. My friend and I have purchased the 2 x remaining Xedos BTCC cars.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 12:02 (Ref:3667822)   #20
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dnut View Post
Only ever 3 x built, Neale car written off.Slim Borgudd raced the Watts car. Watts car and Leslie car sold to Bob Schader in USA. Only painted on the exterior, Watts car still purple on the inside/engine bay etc. My friend and I have purchased the 2 x remaining Xedos BTCC cars.
Good to here, have you got any pictures of it now? Always thought it was a good looking car.
Old 27 Aug 2016, 12:06 (Ref:3667823)   #21
GM10
Racer

Italy
Mantua
GM10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Xedos driven by Leslie in 1994 is now property of a man who resides in NZ: http://www.supertouringregister.com/...r/vehicle/299/

Also the 1993 model: http://www.supertouringregister.com/...r/vehicle/148/

The one driven by Neal is signed as "destroyed" after the Silverstone accident: http://www.supertouringregister.com/...r/vehicle/419/
Old 24 Sep 2016, 23:47 (Ref:3674826)   #22
JezzaNZ
Rookie

JezzaNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4dnut and I are putting the Watts and Leslie cars back to their BTCC livery and will be racing them in the future. We also have quite a few parts from the Neal car that came in the spares package.
Old 25 Sep 2016, 00:22 (Ref:3674836)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezzaNZ View Post
4dnut and I are putting the Watts and Leslie cars back to their BTCC livery and will be racing them in the future. We also have quite a few parts from the Neal car that came in the spares package.
Would that be in the UK series?
Old 31 Dec 2016, 16:33 (Ref:3699324)   #24
PDS
Veteran

England
Medway Towns
PDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, The two Xedos will be racing with the ever growing collection of Supertourers in New Zealand. The owner of the Watts 93 car would like to bring it to the UK sometime...
Old 31 Dec 2016, 20:23 (Ref:3699387)   #25
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope to see those same Oz / NZ supertourers over here again for the Classic, they were great to see.
Old 31 Dec 2016, 21:01 (Ref:3699402)   #26
CM388
Rookie

CM388 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
The one driven by Neal is signed as "destroyed" after the Silverstone accident: http://www.supertouringregister.com/...r/vehicle/419/
I think in an interview in a one-off program ITV4 ran about the BTCC a few years back, Matt Neal said the only thing salvageable from the car after that Silverstone crash was the ECU, so I'd say destroyed is a pretty apt description!
Old 1 Jan 2017, 19:07 (Ref:3699567)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM388 View Post
I think in an interview in a one-off program ITV4 ran about the BTCC a few years back, Matt Neal said the only thing salvageable from the car after that Silverstone crash was the ECU, so I'd say destroyed is a pretty apt description!
I thought it was actually the dash. But yeah, would be cosmic seeing them Mazdas racing again
Old 2 Jan 2017, 17:22 (Ref:3699714)   #28
Mondeo Man33
Rookie

Mondeo Man33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a third chassis produced for '94 although I believe it was used as a show car, I'm not sure if it was ever used in anger by the works team. A chap called Ray Williams raced it in the north west and Wales in the early 2000s and the car then re-surfaced in 2015. It's since been used for a few track days at Oulton Park and was up for sale on eBay recently for 4000, although I don't think it sold.