Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jan 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3701805)   #121
old man
Subscriber
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Cars should be made to race round tracks,

I can hear you:- "silly old fool - what naivety"
Old 11 Jan 2017, 11:55 (Ref:3701807)   #122
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Donington have said they will not bid for the GP, even if Silverstone lose it. They quite rightly say they don't want to ruin a great race track
They should have also added again!
Old 11 Jan 2017, 12:43 (Ref:3701818)   #123
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!
Moneyseeker is an old cynic.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 13:59 (Ref:3701838)   #124
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Donington have said they will not bid for the GP, even if Silverstone lose it. They quite rightly say they don't want to ruin a great race track
Finally, some sanity from someone in motorsport.

Having the F1 brigade there would undoubtedly mean they would need to change (ie ruin) the track extensively.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 14:05 (Ref:3701839)   #125
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's a smart move too - if all the existing uk circuits rule themselves out, that means f1 has two choices. a grand prix at silverstone that is affordable for the owners, or no grand prix in great britain.

you can imagine the uproar from everyone - teams, sponsors, fans, the press - if it was announced that there was no be no british grand prix...
Old 11 Jan 2017, 14:41 (Ref:3701850)   #126
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!bauble is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it's a smart move too - if all the existing uk circuits rule themselves out, that means f1 has two choices. a grand prix at silverstone that is affordable for the owners, or no grand prix in great britain.

you can imagine the uproar from everyone - teams, sponsors, fans, the press - if it was announced that there was no be no british grand prix...
Sadly Bella, I suspect that most teams would not care too much as any replacement would probably mean more money in the kitty, and possibly richer sponsors from the host nation. Only the British drivers would care, and I'm not sure about all of them.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 15:20 (Ref:3701860)   #127
steve_r
Veteran

England
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 would carry on without a British GP, in the same way as it has done for years without the French GP, and will without a German GP etc.

Much as teams might complain to the media, I dont expect that they would see the lack of a British GP as the end of the world. I doubt many sponsors would care whether their logo is seen on a TV screen on a car in Northampton, or on a TV screen on a car in Nagpur.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3701907)   #128
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Precisely, I couldn't care less of there was a GP here, it might rid Silverstone of some of the crippling debt it is riddled with and might though I doubt it make these people realise you cant hold every country to ransome for a motor race just because Arabs have deep pockets
Old 11 Jan 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3701915)   #129
Mekola
Veteran

Ukraine
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No British GP and, worse, no Italian GP will harm F1.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 22:48 (Ref:3701925)   #130
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt you would find many people in Europe who would agree with you there sorry.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 23:00 (Ref:3701929)   #131
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
No British GP and, worse, no Italian GP will harm F1.
Only if they happen in the same year. A gradual withdrawal won't phase too many unfortunately, just us purists. Just the same that Korea, India, and Valencia and Turkey and Indianapolis, and... etc didn't harm the circus.

Still, there is always the London street circuit proposal. Haven't seen that trotted out yet this time 'round.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 23:35 (Ref:3701932)   #132
peebee2
Racer

peebee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They need to find a buyer and exit stage any side. Not hang in. Then maybe someone who understands how to run a business and turn a profit can manage the place properly.

The biggest challenge some think they face is where the blazers can park their cars, old boy, at least 50 years out of date
Old 12 Jan 2017, 00:02 (Ref:3701935)   #133
JeremySmith
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

I think more fans would just walk away if there was no Grand Prix at Silverstone..
Old 12 Jan 2017, 06:45 (Ref:3701976)   #134
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
If you are running a huge facility like Silverstone and you have signed up to a contract that escalates year on year. I think the blame has to be pointed at the people who accepted and signed that contract, because the escalator is not a few quid, it is millions of pounds more year on year.

If you can't make money with the existing deal, what makes anyone think they could if they have to pay more each year?

Silverstone hosts some huge events over the year but as we have found out on this thread, hosting massive meetings means you perhaps do not make as much money as you think. Or so we are told from one venue and I cant imagine others are that different.

Be interesting to know how Palmer goes about it differently. If you look he doesn't really host that many huge international events as the hosting fees mean he either takes a profit hit or puts up tickets prices massively, something he isn't prepared to do.

And one of his biggest series, BSB, he owns anyway!
Old 12 Jan 2017, 08:28 (Ref:3701990)   #135
snoz wanger
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckshaw, Chorley......and Druids..
snoz wanger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands

Hi everyone.......somebody asked earlier...."whats happened to Brands Hatch these days?......Answer....its still majestic and amazing with smallish gravel traps and savage "MENS" corners like Paddock hill, its steeped in history the atmosphere is always electric, in the 60s, and 70s I would stand there with my Dad watching Gladiators of the sport dueling in epic battles literally risking life and limb and then see them on the podium having a beer and a fag! If you watch "RUSH".....Thats not a film its how it was!......Im afraid we are never going back my friends your stuck with flat boring large gravel trapped rubbish.

Thanks Bernard!!!!! {but it pays for the helicopters}.