Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jan 2017, 17:17 (Ref:3701869)   #91
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Did I hear the Leith Poleeth (or whatever they're called the wrong side of the border) want to do him for dangerous driving?
Yup. He's probably pleading to be locked up for his own safety......
Old 11 Jan 2017, 20:15 (Ref:3701897)   #92
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Did I hear the Leith Poleeth (or whatever they're called the wrong side of the border) want to do him for dangerous driving?
That seems to be the case according to the BBC.

Apparently the bridge was closed to HGVs at the time due to the wind but he went for it anyway.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 20:48 (Ref:3701898)   #93
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
That seems to be the case according to the BBC.

Apparently the bridge was closed to HGVs at the time due to the wind but he went for it anyway.
He has to be some kind of dick driving an empty tautliner in those winds, even more so over the bridge. He could've even opened the curtains and tied them back if he was in that much of a hurry.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 20:50 (Ref:3701899)   #94
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
I guess it was 25-26 years ago when we (Mitsu rally test team) were dispatched to somewhere in the Alps for some Monte testing. Me driving a well laden Shogun with test car on trailer, and another one of the lads in a Merc 815 Service van. Neither of us had any previous experience of what happens in those mountains when it snows, or the winter regulations surrounding snow chains and the like. Anyway, guess what, it snowed and snowed as we climbed higher through small villages heading for our base hotel. Eventually on a hill, the van, which was leading, slowed to avoid a fallen tree branch. I did the same, then to my horror realised that he had lost all traction, and was now sliding backwards towards me. Just before impact the van was stopped by a high kerb, fortunately!

So, the van was not going any further, and of course I couldn't get traction either with trailer hooked up. Eventually, after telephone conversations with other team members at the hotel, a couple of them came down in a 4wd Galant and we unloaded the test car. It was then possible to get the Shogun and empty trailer moving, the test car was 4wd as well so was OK- and the van? We abandoned it! Next day the local garage sent a recovery vehicle for it....

It was only then, in daylight and it having stopped snowing, that we saw how close the van had been to going 'over the edge'- only the kerb had saved it.

Moral of all that? Don't ignore warning signs telling you that a bridge is closed to HGVs, or that snow chains are obligatory if you climb higher.......
Old 11 Jan 2017, 22:19 (Ref:3701912)   #95
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have been in touch with Gerard today and he is having trouble with his computer which, has caused some of his post to appear in strange places, or not at all, so do not think he has gone doolally.

Mike he has tried to get in touch with you without success, I can PM you his personal e.mail if you do not have it.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 06:24 (Ref:3701969)   #96
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
I have been in touch with Gerard today and he is having trouble with his computer which, has caused some of his post to appear in strange places, or not at all, so do not think he has gone doolally.

Mike he has tried to get in touch with you without success, I can PM you his personal e.mail if you do not have it.
No problem, Bob, I got his pm when got home and in front of a computer again. Will be tidied up....
Old 12 Jan 2017, 08:35 (Ref:3701980)   #97
Gerard C
Subscriber
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Bob, Mike and John.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3702001)   #98
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington now owned by MSV!
CSCC Swinging Sixties / Bernie's HVRA #28 Red/Black Mustang
Old 12 Jan 2017, 10:11 (Ref:3702009)   #99
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yup 21 year lease, but may need to go before competition board first.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:01 (Ref:3702057)   #100
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just seen that news and posted about it in the National and Club racing section.....not sure how happy I am with Palmer having such a stranglehold on the major circuits. Overall he does seem to have improved facilities, but when trying to organise things with MSVR they aren't the easiest to deal with.....
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:09 (Ref:3702059)   #101
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
Donington now owned by MSV!
Decided it was a better idea than taking over Sillystone, probably! If the deal gets though the red tape then personally can only think a good move for all of us. I wonder if the current Circuit Manager will stay or move on.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Overall he does seem to have improved facilities, but when trying to organise things with MSVR they aren't the easiest to deal with.....
Agree, but that could be because MSV is a business and not a club......
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3702060)   #102
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I said on Twitter that I hope Christopher Tate gets what he rightfully deserves. The place improved dramatically when he took over. And he had to cope with putting right all the wrongs caused by Gillet.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3702061)   #103
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Love how they say the 1500 B-series engine has been replaced with the larger 1800 engine to "keep pace with modern traffic".......I presume that's modern traffic in Central London, with an average speed of about 5 mph?

I think it would struggle with a towbar and the race-car on a trailer behind it........

Interesting period piece, though - a bit like the Cotswolds on wheels.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3702062)   #104
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I said on Twitter that I hope he gets what he rightfully deserves. The place improved dramatically when he took over. And he had to cope with putting right all the wrongs caused by Gillet.
I agree and have a lot of respect for the man. There are a few racers with long memories, however, for whom 'get what he rightfully deserves' would mean the opposite of what I think you mean....
Old 12 Jan 2017, 12:32 (Ref:3702064)   #105
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes perhaps I could have chosen better words there. Although I've not heard a bad word about him.