Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Drifting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2011, 20:31 (Ref:2843554)   #1
Colin Parkinson
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2006
England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Posts: 64
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time Attack

Is this the right forum to enquiry about Time Attack?

If so, what is it all about?

CP
Colin Parkinson is offline  
Quote
Old 10 Mar 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2843574)   #2
andrewc
Veteran
 
andrewc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Norwich, UK
Posts: 789
andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the uninitiated, Time Attack is a series of qualifying sessions which results in an overall winner. Some very fast cars, often on road tyres... No racing as such, but traffic can make a big difference, so there is strategy and tactics involved.
andrewc is offline  
__________________
Andrew Cliffe - Norwich Photo & Racing Exposure
Quote
Old 10 Mar 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2843584)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran
 
BertMk2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Posts: 8,420
BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!
I've not been to see Time Attack at a circuit but having seen some of the cars at Autosport and various other places there are some handy cars in it. I may see if I can get along to one of the meetings this year. I always assumed it was essentially sprinting with some snorty cars, I didn't realise it was multiple cars on track at a time fighting for space
BertMk2 is offline  
Quote
Old 10 Mar 2011, 23:08 (Ref:2843667)   #4
Colin Parkinson
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2006
England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Posts: 64
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So are these events at race tracks only?

Is the MSA involved? If so what licence do you need?

CP
Colin Parkinson is offline  
Quote
Old 11 Mar 2011, 00:33 (Ref:2843707)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran
 
MGDavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
England
Berkshire
Posts: 3,079
MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!MGDavid has a real shot at the podium!
I'm pretty sure there was a news item or short article about Time Attack in the MSA News recently - assuming you are a licence-holder just check the last few issues...
MGDavid is offline  
__________________
a salary slave no more...
Quote
Old 11 Mar 2011, 07:49 (Ref:2843779)   #6
andrewc
Veteran
 
andrewc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Norwich, UK
Posts: 789
andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the pro classes, you need a national B. For the lower classes, a 'non-race' national B. Pretty low requirements for cars with up to 850bhp!
andrewc is offline  
__________________
Andrew Cliffe - Norwich Photo & Racing Exposure
Quote
Old 11 Mar 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2844287)   #7
RF_Racer
Veteran
 
RF_Racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 728
RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its funny to see cars with huge spoilers, I dont think they realise that you cannot just randomly both on shapes to a car and expect it to give you downforce.
RF_Racer is offline  
Quote
Old 12 Mar 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2844364)   #8
Startline Al
Racer
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
England
Kent
Posts: 102
Startline Al should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, I'm the Clerk for the series, you can find all the details here.
http://www.timeattack.co.uk/2011/index.php

It's been a great success, starting in 2005 and went MSA from last year.
Regards, Al.
Startline Al is offline  
Quote
Old 13 Mar 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2845086)   #9
rich_cooper
Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
Posts: 273
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post
Its funny to see cars with huge spoilers, I dont think they realise that you cannot just randomly both on shapes to a car and expect it to give you downforce.
Maybe not, but the pro class cars are pure race cars. If they have them its because they need them

We will be at every round covering it

http://www.garageawesome.com
rich_cooper is offline  
Quote
Old 13 Mar 2011, 22:12 (Ref:2845221)   #10
Colin Parkinson
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2006
England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Posts: 64
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I have had a look at the web site, and sorry I still dont get it!

Is it just like a track day but timed. And the fastest wins?

Or is it like a sprint, and you just do 1 timed lap?

Or are you actually racing each other?

Colin
Colin Parkinson is offline  
Quote
Old 13 Mar 2011, 22:33 (Ref:2845235)   #11
andrewc
Veteran
 
andrewc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Norwich, UK
Posts: 789
andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Parkinson View Post
So I have had a look at the web site, and sorry I still dont get it!

Is it just like a track day but timed. And the fastest wins?

Or is it like a sprint, and you just do 1 timed lap?

Or are you actually racing each other?

Colin
There is no actual wheel to wheel racing, although cars will pass each other on track. They are not racing for position. Its more complicated than sprinting which is purely a hot lap against the clock, and you shouldn't meet another car.

For the people used to racing, my analogy of a series of knock out qualifying sessions is most apt.

Those with a fast car will pace themselves early on - fast enough to get through, but not so fast to risk the car or to reveal the true speed of their car to their competitors. Keep your powder dry as long as possible...

Those with slower cars will want to go as fast as they can to get as far as they can in the days sessions, and may knock out some faster cars caught napping.

These sessions are open pitlane format, but each driver has to slot their way into the traffic on track, and as the track rubbers in times start to drop, unless the weather interferes.

I must admit, the genre isn't my particular cup of tea, however the times these cars can do is impressive, and its brought a new audience to race circuits.

On the Modified Live ticket in 2010, I would estimate it had the fourth biggest race audience at Snetterton, after British Superbikes, BTCC and the Lotus Festival, so they are doing something right. Last year they shared the race day with the European Drifting Championship, something a lot of racers don't quite 'get' either!
andrewc is offline  
__________________
Andrew Cliffe - Norwich Photo & Racing Exposure
Quote
Old 13 Mar 2011, 23:11 (Ref:2845261)   #12
Colin Parkinson
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2006
England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Posts: 64
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew, thanks for all that. Now it starts to make sense.

But I dont get it!!

Nor do I get drifting!!

Is that motorsport? It does actually sound like a timed track day. Methinks it is an age thing!

Colin
Colin Parkinson is offline  
Quote
Old 14 Mar 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2845312)   #13
andrewc
Veteran
 
andrewc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Norwich, UK
Posts: 789
andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time Attack is motorsport. It is timed, is competitive, and the overall fastest person wins. No different in this case to sprinting, hill climbing, drag racing or rallying etc.,

Drifting is scored by judges, so falls into the same discussion that ice speed skating vs figure dancing comes into.
andrewc is offline  
__________________
Andrew Cliffe - Norwich Photo & Racing Exposure
Quote
Old 14 Mar 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2845826)   #14
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran
 
Alex Hodgkinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
England
Derby
Posts: 1,010
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time Attack to me is qualifying for the sake of qualifying.

It's a rather pure form of motorsport, the quickest lap time wins the event.

Some awesome bits of kit have been produced worldwide to compete in the class.
Alex Hodgkinson is offline  
__________________
Keep living the dream!
Quote
Old 15 Mar 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2846134)   #15
rich_cooper
Racer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
Posts: 273
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
There is no actual wheel to wheel racing, although cars will pass each other on track. They are not racing for position. Its more complicated than sprinting which is purely a hot lap against the clock, and you shouldn't meet another car.

For the people used to racing, my analogy of a series of knock out qualifying sessions is most apt.

Those with a fast car will pace themselves early on - fast enough to get through, but not so fast to risk the car or to reveal the true speed of their car to their competitors. Keep your powder dry as long as possible...

Those with slower cars will want to go as fast as they can to get as far as they can in the days sessions, and may knock out some faster cars caught napping.

These sessions are open pitlane format, but each driver has to slot their way into the traffic on track, and as the track rubbers in times start to drop, unless the weather interferes.

I must admit, the genre isn't my particular cup of tea, however the times these cars can do is impressive, and its brought a new audience to race circuits.

On the Modified Live ticket in 2010, I would estimate it had the fourth biggest race audience at Snetterton, after British Superbikes, BTCC and the Lotus Festival, so they are doing something right. Last year they shared the race day with the European Drifting Championship, something a lot of racers don't quite 'get' either!
Nice way to explain it andrew.

I love Time Attack, yes it may not be pure racing but watching a good range of different cars with upto 900bhp going for the best lap for me is great to watch.

Some people dont like it because they arnt racing wheel to wheel, and i can see where they are coming from. You need to know what is going on, who is on a fast lap and who is setting the pace. I find that to really learn about time attack you need to have been to more than 1 event.

The standard of the cars is up there with the best there is in british motorsport, and time attack is massive in japan and is growing here and accross europe.
rich_cooper is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to do with a BTCC Civic? Time Attack! medius WTCC & European Touring Car Series 9 16 Feb 2010 21:22
Time Attack now recognised by the MSA Startline Al Hillclimb and Sprint 3 3 Feb 2010 19:08
Time Attack Catchpole Marshals Needed 1 4 Jul 2008 17:09
GT4 Nordschleife Time Attack JAG Virtual Racers 225 11 Jan 2007 13:21


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 13:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.