Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 22 Aug 2011, 13:55 (Ref:2944116)   #16
gixermark
Rookie

gixermark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
keep us posted on developments Iain.... will no doubt be bigger & better
Old 23 Aug 2011, 13:42 (Ref:2944662)   #17
Count 'Johnny' Spinoza
Rookie

United Kingdom
South London
Count 'Johnny' Spinoza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm. Get thee behind me Satan.

Right now I'll settle for a straight car and leave further development for another day.

Mind you, have you seen those super light batteries from Thieves? Save a good few kilos they do...and Dauntless, in the States, would love to build me a new floor (a snip at ~ US$10,000, plus shipping).
Old 23 Aug 2011, 22:44 (Ref:2944840)   #18
gixermark
Rookie

you is a crazy mutha !!
Old 24 Aug 2011, 09:29 (Ref:2944983)   #19
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count 'Johnny' Spinoza View Post
Interesting. What is it? Pictures?

The car is/was a 2000 Toyota MrS.
Is now mostly widebody fibreglass panels that we have made for the exterio

Dont have any good photo's that show much more detail of the engine setup but here is a couple.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...8/DSC04403.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...028/pic861.jpg
Old 24 Aug 2011, 16:35 (Ref:2945186)   #20
Count 'Johnny' Spinoza
Rookie

United Kingdom
South London
Very, very nice DX20VT!

(In the interests of me showing you mine, because you've shown me yours) my own bolide looks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56349259@N08/
Old 24 Aug 2011, 16:51 (Ref:2945193)   #21
elitemotorsport
Rookie

elitemotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

We've been running the Global this year, and it's been a trying time, but, it was £5250 and came with £2,500 of dampers on it. So it was a bargain from that point of view.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if we had done the redesign we are currently working on to it at the start of the season then i think things would be massively different, but, you live and learn.

Our driver in his first ever race (of any kind) qualified 5 seconds a lap faster than anyone else in class, and for once there were 6 or so cars in our class so it was pretty impressive. So we were pretty pleased with the cars performance. Giving a few of the average Radicals a beating as well.

Reliability with the car is a massive issue as the car is just too small to fit everything you need into it properly. We've done most of the design of a all new bikesports car, but, at present it seems more practical to encoporate some of our new thinking and learning into redesigning the Global to achieve some of what the new car was going to give us for a fraction of the cost. We know we are super competitive if we can keep running long enough, and with the new car design we have developments we can incorporate anytime we start to struggle with competitiveness.

If Bike Sports can keep a decent grid turning up each meeting then we stand a chance to win the championship overall with this updated Global.

I'm doing some freelance design work on another bike sports car that'll be out next season and there should be another new manufacturer out next season too, so the grids are likely to be better than this year, and more competitive.

So at the moment we have a new longer wheelbase, narrower chassis'd Global on the jig and new ZX10 engine waiting to go into it. Seem to have some interest from other Global owners as well so hopefully that'll help get some of the 40 odd cars that exist back out and racing, if they've been put off by the sort of problems we've been having.

I'm a big fan of the championship. I'm not convinced about the bike engines in cars thing yet, but, i'm hoping these latest changes might help convert me

D.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 05:18 (Ref:2945436)   #22
Count 'Johnny' Spinoza
Rookie

United Kingdom
South London
Hi elitemotorsport

Be convinced.

As you probably know, the Global was originally designed for the R6 engine and was later upgraded to take the early carb’d R1 variant. In both cases, the Global relied upon the stock Yamaha water/oil heat exchanger and – even if you can find somewhere sensible to put an air/oil heat exchanger – there are still doubts that the Global can shift the heat from the later, much more powerful, variants.

The Global also suffers from a lack of space for things like rear diffusers but it is, very, very light if it is built carefully. One car that I have weighed is 399kg (wet, excluding driver) which is ~ 50kg lighter than any other car on the grid so, even with a weedy old carb’d R1, Globals could turn 11’s at the old Snett and give the slow to middling Radicals a run for their money.

On the subject of Bikesports, if the 750 can get their house in order, I do think that Bikesports can be THE place to race and develop bike engined sports racing cars and – without going through the pain of being Formula Rep – I have had some discussions with them on how they might achieve that.

Obviously, bringing new cars and manufacturers to the grid is a part of that but - before I started designing or building a car - I’d take a long hard look at this:

http://www.stohr.com/html/dsr.html

If you haven’t already done so.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 10:47 (Ref:2948756)   #23
elitemotorsport
Rookie

elitemotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,

Yeah i've had a fair bit to do with the Stohr, and what i've learned has formed the basis of the new design. I think there are some great areas of that car, but some of the details can be improved upon.

The revised Global i'm doing at the moment is trying to address the areas you pointed out, things like diffusers etc. I also think it can be lighter still. Our aim for next season will be to beat a few cars we shouldn't and run in an area of the grid where we can have some good racing and win our class.

D.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 07:00 (Ref:2953725)   #24
Count 'Johnny' Spinoza
Rookie

United Kingdom
South London
Yes

Some of the stuff on the Stohr is a bit odd (like dangling the suspension in the front diffuser flow, for example) but it sure works like gang busters.

And it'll be good to see what you do with the Global.

Unfortunately, my car (like the Stohr) has been given special status by the 750 meaning that - even though we're only a 1000cc car - we get to play with the 'Busa powered chaps which is bit of a handicap if you're useless like me.

Still, with my 2012 budget now secured (and with any further development plans on hold) I may even get do some actual racing next year. Hope to see you around.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 09:31 (Ref:2954254)   #25
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Trouble is that I think that bike engines in bikes are designed to be lubricated by the fact that the bikes moves around & lean over both ways whereas in cars the engines are in a virtually fixed plane. Get the lubrication right & the reliability might be OK. But I'm only regurgitating some stuff that i read somewhere ages ago & am no engineer!
I was at the British Superbikes meeting at Donington on saturday & the commentator made the same observation about lubrication problems in the sidecar racers because they don't lean like their bike cousins.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 09:46 (Ref:2954259)   #26
Count 'Johnny' Spinoza
Rookie

United Kingdom
South London
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I was at the British Superbikes meeting at Donington on saturday & the commentator made the same observation about lubrication problems in the sidecar racers because they don't lean like their bike cousins.
Hi Andy

This is all manageable in a car.

On the R1 (and Gixer) motors fitted with a specially designed baffle, we simply fill to the top of the sight glass, thoroughly warm the oil, rev it to 3000rpm for at least 10 seconds (note that the oil level drops to ~ half way down the sight glass when we do so) and pour in oil until there's just a small bubble at the top. Obviously, this robs a little power and the oil takes a bit of a pasting, but we pull well over 2G in the corners and the oil pressure is rock solid and regularly replacing oil is cheaper than replacing engine parts on the same frequency.

Most folk with 'Busa motors dry sump them but, then, they've got the extra power to drag around all of the associated gubbins and extra oil with them.
Old 1 Oct 2011, 22:55 (Ref:2963877)   #27
gixermark
Rookie

are the gixer engiend stohr's running wet or dry sump Iain ?

If you happen to know whether the majority of the F1 sidecar guys run wet or dry ot would be interesting too.... I'm thinking K4 & the K5 variant
Old 2 Oct 2011, 12:43 (Ref:2964291)   #28
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few years ago lots of F1 sidecars went to dry sumps, but now many are using wet sumps. Sidecars don't pull as many Gs as winged cars and also spend a lot more time wheelspinning with only one drive wheel. They are using full throttle more than solo bikes use and until recently were allowed unlimited engine mods so many were chasing max power at the expense of reliability. Many sidecar championships, world and British for example, now are mechanically standard and less engine problems seem to have followed.

Jeff

__
| \
______
Old 2 Oct 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2964324)   #29
Count 'Johnny' Spinoza
Rookie

United Kingdom
South London
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixermark View Post
are the gixer engiend stohr's running wet or dry sump Iain ?

If you happen to know whether the majority of the F1 sidecar guys run wet or dry ot would be interesting too.... I'm thinking K4 & the K5 variant
All of the GIXER DSR Stohrs are wet sumped and filled as described above.

Some also run an Accusump which (for the uninitiated) is like a big syringe which automatically injects oil into the system at times of 'need'.
Old 2 Oct 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2964479)   #30
gixermark
Rookie

thats interesting..... i know many of the K5 gixer engined Jedi's run dry (the factory preference) but i recently learnt that some do use wet sump (bafled etc) and i assume slight overfil as you suggest Iain

the Stohr's would most certainly pull higher G's than a Jedi thats for sure...

Sidecars are tough on engines - so again, IF they can survive on wet ok....