Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9 Dec 2011, 20:12 (Ref:2997743)   #1
Bevan-L
Veteran
 
Bevan-L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Posts: 585
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PI System 3C

I was just wondering if anyone knew, could the PI System 3c Dash Display work on its own, just as a dash display,with no logging etc, or does it need to hook up to a separate ecu/logger etc to function??

Thx in advance!
Bevan-L is offline  
Quote
Old 10 Dec 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2997973)   #2
GolddustMini
Veteran
 
GolddustMini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location:
Just South Of Nowhere...
Posts: 1,254
GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
I was just wondering if anyone knew, could the PI System 3c Dash Display work on its own, just as a dash display,with no logging etc, or does it need to hook up to a separate ecu/logger etc to function??

Thx in advance!
i presume you mean the "C-dash"

according to the user documentation "the C-Dash is a digital dash which can be used to directly display the data from a number of sensors. it can also be used to display the data from a Pi system 1 or Pi system 3 club."

so yes it can!
GolddustMini is offline  
__________________
never eat belly button fluff
Quote
Old 10 Dec 2011, 13:52 (Ref:2998063)   #3
Bevan-L
Veteran
 
Bevan-L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Posts: 585
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
i presume you mean the "C-dash"

according to the user documentation "the C-Dash is a digital dash which can be used to directly display the data from a number of sensors. it can also be used to display the data from a Pi system 1 or Pi system 3 club."

so yes it can!
no not the c-dash... the system 3 dash display..

Bevan-L is offline  
Quote
Old 10 Dec 2011, 15:10 (Ref:2998083)   #4
GolddustMini
Veteran
 
GolddustMini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location:
Just South Of Nowhere...
Posts: 1,254
GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry i do not know then! good luck!
GolddustMini is offline  
__________________
never eat belly button fluff
Quote
Old 11 Dec 2011, 11:44 (Ref:2998389)   #5
350LH
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 20
350LH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Bevan,

If its anything like the System 3+ system I have (dash looks the same) you will need a compatible Logging Control Unit (LCU) to communicate with it, accept inputs etc.

Shoot an email to Tony Kent - tony@tkracingservices.co.uk he should be able to confirm for you.

cheers,

Sam
350LH is offline  
Quote
Old 11 Dec 2011, 18:28 (Ref:2998503)   #6
Bevan-L
Veteran
 
Bevan-L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Posts: 585
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350LH View Post
Hey Bevan,

If its anything like the System 3+ system I have (dash looks the same) you will need a compatible Logging Control Unit (LCU) to communicate with it, accept inputs etc.

Shoot an email to Tony Kent - tony@tkracingservices.co.uk he should be able to confirm for you.

cheers,

Sam
Thanks Sam!! Will do now.
Bevan-L is offline  
Quote
Old 12 Dec 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2998863)   #7
RPD Motorsport
Racer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
United Kingdom
Oxford
Posts: 202
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed. It is only a screen and needs a box of tricks to drive it.
RPD Motorsport is offline  
Quote
Old 15 Dec 2011, 08:36 (Ref:3000104)   #8
brown dog
Racer
 
brown dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 383
brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enquired a couple of years back with Pi asking the same quesion regarding the System IV (looks the same as yours) They replied I would need the logger to drive it, and not to bother anyway as it was very old and clunky to use, and no longer supported either in software or hardware/repairs. I ended up buying an Omega dash, which has been very good.
brown dog is offline  
Quote
Old 26 Dec 2011, 04:43 (Ref:3004218)   #9
Bevan-L
Veteran
 
Bevan-L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Posts: 585
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
I enquired a couple of years back with Pi asking the same quesion regarding the System IV (looks the same as yours) They replied I would need the logger to drive it, and not to bother anyway as it was very old and clunky to use, and no longer supported either in software or hardware/repairs. I ended up buying an Omega dash, which has been very good.
For sure, i could easily fit a brand new PI/Cosworth Omega Dash or Motec ADL, but I'm currently restoring a 2L Super Touring Car so want to keep it as much as possible to the era that it raced in...
Bevan-L is offline  
Quote
Old 26 Dec 2011, 10:06 (Ref:3004254)   #10
brown dog
Racer
 
brown dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 383
brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
For sure, i could easily fit a brand new PI/Cosworth Omega Dash or Motec ADL, but I'm currently restoring a 2L Super Touring Car so want to keep it as much as possible to the era that it raced in...
Yes, it was the same for me, but mine was an original DTM car. Still decided that it was better to fit something usable, than something almost useless useless (but original!) And the Omega does look very similar to the System IV.
brown dog is offline  
Quote
Old 26 Dec 2011, 11:25 (Ref:3004265)   #11
Bevan-L
Veteran
 
Bevan-L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Posts: 585
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
Yes, it was the same for me, but mine was an original DTM car. Still decided that it was better to fit something usable, than something almost useless useless (but original!) And the Omega does look very similar to the System IV.

Awesome!! which DTM car was it??
Bevan-L is offline  
Quote
Old 26 Dec 2011, 16:44 (Ref:3004316)   #12
brown dog
Racer
 
brown dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 383
brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
Awesome!! which DTM car was it??
This one:

http://www.m3motorsport.co.nz/projects/1992-bigazzi-dtm


And yours?
brown dog is offline  
Quote
Old 26 Dec 2011, 20:45 (Ref:3004362)   #13
Paceracing
Racer
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location:
Chelmsford, Essex.
Posts: 107
Paceracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally understand the desire to keep the cars' originality but several important points to remember with these old System 3's, 4's, etc is that (i) These systems are regarded as a very complex data aquisition system for professional teams and are not simple to use (ii) Back in the day, the data logger was run by a dedicated data engineer who's only job was to run the logger and analyse the data (iii) As technology moves on, so does the hardware/software. Modern systems are simpler to use and offer more features (iv) You will need a PC running Windows 98 to operate a System 3 or 4. (v) As someone has very correctly pointed out, the Pi Omega Dash from Cosworth Electronics, (formerly Pi Research) looks almost identical, has more useful features, is simple to use and is aimed at occaisional users rather than big budget race teams.

I would recommend that you forget trying to revive this old system and cut your losses by getting an Omega dash which is the 'grandson' of these old systems and produced by the same company.
Paceracing is offline  
Quote
Old 26 Dec 2011, 23:00 (Ref:3004400)   #14
Bevan-L
Veteran
 
Bevan-L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Posts: 585
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paceracing View Post
I totally understand the desire to keep the cars' originality but several important points to remember with these old System 3's, 4's, etc is that (i) These systems are regarded as a very complex data aquisition system for professional teams and are not simple to use (ii) Back in the day, the data logger was run by a dedicated data engineer who's only job was to run the logger and analyse the data (iii) As technology moves on, so does the hardware/software. Modern systems are simpler to use and offer more features (iv) You will need a PC running Windows 98 to operate a System 3 or 4. (v) As someone has very correctly pointed out, the Pi Omega Dash from Cosworth Electronics, (formerly Pi Research) looks almost identical, has more useful features, is simple to use and is aimed at occaisional users rather than big budget race teams.

I would recommend that you forget trying to revive this old system and cut your losses by getting an Omega dash which is the 'grandson' of these old systems and produced by the same company.
I'm not about to cut it off now and get something else... I've already sourced the LCU which is needed by dash to work as well as all bits and pieces needed to communicate with a PC... i already have a notebook running win98 as i needed it any way to communicate with the ECU in the car...

There are plenty guys (also on 10/10ths) who own super tourers running the same gear and have no dramas??? yeah sure if i wanted to log everything under the sun etc then yeah you'd want someone who knows the system well.. but at this point in time I'm happy if it just acts as a dash display while i iron out all the bugs with the car
Bevan-L is offline  
Quote
Old 26 Dec 2011, 23:07 (Ref:3004401)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club
 
GTRMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Australia
Sell me this pen....
Posts: 41,079
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
I am surprised Mr Pickett kept the Pi aboard the Hyundai STs... they were worth a small fortune at the time, thought this stuff may have been parted out to keep the race team going. Presumably he didnt know what he had?
GTRMagic is offline  
__________________
Hey, Santa! Wanna party?
You can kill the dreamer, but you can't kill the dream
In memory of now
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pi System 2 dash question mattyaddis Club Level Single Seaters 2 2 Sep 2011 16:05
Pi System 2 Sensors mark14 Club Level Single Seaters 1 31 May 2011 12:48
Pi Research system 3c pete_rallye Racing Technology 1 12 Nov 2009 18:05
Pi System 3 inamo Club Level Single Seaters 10 11 May 2007 15:59


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.