Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Sep 2015, 18:15 (Ref:3578069)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!
the F1 race is no doubt their largest expense but is F1 the reason that Silverstone struggles?

moneyseeker, actually really like the idea of a 'heritage tax' being placed on the new venues that receives a disproportional amount of gov't funding. in many ways it is too the advantage of those paying a premium for hosting rights to bolster the value of the product as a whole by subsidizing the products history and catering to its core fan base.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 18:17 (Ref:3578071)   #17
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The FIA need to grow some gonads and take control of a sport which is disintegrating before their very eyes....where is Jean Todt in all this?

Surely they could attempt to remove Ecclestone by demonstrating he's not a fit and proper person to hold and manage the commercial rights to their sport.There's plenty of evidence to support that.

Or they could just charge him with Bringing the Sport into Disrepute and ban him from all motor sport activities for 10 years.

That should see him off.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 18:25 (Ref:3578074)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
They are every bit as valuable to the sport as any F1 team, maybe even more so.
But they're not as valuable to Sepp B... sorry, Bernie. Got my dodgy dictators confused for a moment there.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 18:28 (Ref:3578076)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!
i agree and also lament the pressure the traditional tracks find themselves under but how is he bringing the sport into disrepute?

these state run/family investment holding companies that are buying up races are the same ones that are buying into F1 teams and their manufacturer parent corps. this money is literally the only thing keeping this sport alive...all be it possibly at the expense of destroying it.

the Qatar Investment Authority has sent a lot of money Williams' way. possibly even saving, what im assuming is, a team we all cherish a great deal...if they want a race, for example at the expense of silverstone, are we in a position to begrudge them that?

rock and a hard place really.
Old 29 Sep 2015, 20:24 (Ref:3578105)   #20
Alfaholic
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
It appears that Silverstone is behind in its payments to Bernie and the 2016 British GP is at risk. If a race day crowd with some of the most expensive race day tickets cannot cover Bernie's escalator fees then there is something very wrong.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns32053.html

I note one of the sources is a lap dog for a certain F1 ringmaster.
Was Bernie hoping that this would make more headlines than it did to cover up other bad news for him/CVC today?
Old 29 Sep 2015, 20:30 (Ref:3578106)   #21
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Was Bernie hoping that this would make more headlines than it did to cover up other bad news for him/CVC today?
It would not surprise me.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 09:11 (Ref:3578231)   #22
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!VIVA GT has a real shot at the podium!
It's the BRDC Annual General Meeting today, maybe we will see/hear an announcement from Silverstone later?
Old 30 Sep 2015, 10:52 (Ref:3578243)   #23
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to a report on the Autosport website, BCE has granted Silverstone more breathing space, and has agreed to wait for a further period to receive the sanctioning fee for this year's race. This will allow the GP to go ahead next.

However, in the article, he is quite scathing, again, about the BRDC and how they have wasted money, commenting that they spent 20 million on the new BDRC clubhouse and car park for the members. Although he says that the race will take place next year, he cannot guarantee that it will in the following years.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 12:13 (Ref:3578256)   #24
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is capitalism folks and Bernie is the arch capitalist. He goes where the money is. It's amazing that people are still shocked by his actions.
I stopped attending the BGP decades ago as prices started to outstrip my disposable income. If the GP goes then it goes. It's been a rip off for years and may be it will take the loss of major European circuits to get people angry enough to force a change in the governance of the sport. It's going down the pan but it still makes a few people very wealthy and that's all they're interested in.
Old 30 Sep 2015, 12:26 (Ref:3578259)   #25
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
According to a report on the Autosport website, BCE has granted Silverstone more breathing space, and has agreed to wait for a further period to receive the sanctioning fee for this year's race. This will allow the GP to go ahead next.

However, in the article, he is quite scathing, again, about the BRDC and how they have wasted money, commenting that they spent 20 million on the new BDRC clubhouse and car park for the members. Although he says that the race will take place next year, he cannot guarantee that it will in the following years.
Yep, this was the money the BRDC got from Octagon for breaking their circuit lease agreement when they gave up the BGP rights. I believe that BE invested some money in the circuit towards the Dadford Road improvements and expected the BRDC to do the same only find that they had built themselves a clubhouse and private grandstand instead (allegedly) this is where a lot of the animosity BE has for the BRDC stems from and why he keeps raking it up.

To answer the point earlier about if the GP is the real problem at Silverstone. The root of the problems stem from the BRDC blowing the thick end of 30m on that (IMO) terrible Wing building - how can it have cost that much is beyond me- which is now marooned on the far side of the circuit as they couldn't afford to build a tunnel or bridge to get to it!

No doubt on a spreadsheet somewhere there are some extrapilations on how they would rent it out for x weeks a year at x to the corporates and event organisers.....and how many times has it been rented I wonder...?

Having sold off the commercial estate land and environs this has relieved the balance sheet of the Wing borrowing, but of course has slashed the circuit income. So a bit like an impoverished aristocrat who is slowly selling bits off to keep the roof on, the BRDC is running out of things to sell aside from the circuit operation, which is always going to be a tricky sell as the BGP contract is their biggest and increasing liability.

The local councils supported the circuit with loans to build the Wing, but I think government investment is very unlikely, the whole BE image and the fact that it is an elite 'sport' entered and supported by some of the world's biggest brands is probably not going to get a politician sticking their neck out for. I am sure JYS has already tapped on every relevant door.
Old 1 Oct 2015, 11:11 (Ref:3578552)   #26
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
It's the BRDC Annual General Meeting today, maybe we will see/hear an announcement from Silverstone later?
Who knows. If I were in their seat I would approach BE and BGP differently.

Part of the problem the BE has with the BRDC I feel is that they always have their hand out along with numerous 'masterplans'. Everyone with half an idea knew that the BGP contract was unaffordable the day they signed it.

So I would go to BE with a more commercial face on and instead of asking for help, ask for some of the other rights around the GP to be given to by FOM to Silverstone to sell themselves. I would try and obtain the naming rights to the race and the trackside income with the opportunity to sell extra trackside space. By doing this, it would present Silverstone as more commercial and they would have to earn the money through commercial nous.

It's not just the fee to FOM, it's the fact that the revenue streams to meet this are so limited - ticket sales and a bit of hospitality/trade stand income.
Old 3 Dec 2015, 11:57 (Ref:3595183)   #27
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its seems like Jaguar/LandRover (Tata) are interested in buying Silverstone. I wonder what that could mean for Silverstone. (A decent off road course perhaps?)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122115
Old 11 Dec 2015, 10:28 (Ref:3597039)   #28
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Its seems like Jaguar/LandRover (Tata) are interested in buying Silverstone. I wonder what that could mean for Silverstone. (A decent off road course perhaps?)

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122115

This sounds the most practicable, viable and best potential new owners I've heard. Honda of course own Suzuka and Toyota Fuji, so car makers owning F1 circuits is a trodden path.

Looks an ideal new owner to me, in many ways.
Old 11 Dec 2015, 12:38 (Ref:3597063)   #29
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
This sounds the most practicable, viable and best potential new owners I've heard. Honda of course own Suzuka and Toyota Fuji, so car makers owning F1 circuits is a trodden path.

Looks an ideal new owner to me, in many ways.
Yes, sounds good to me. Autocar print copy has a piece on it, suggesting BRDC would become a tenant and Silverstone Circuits still run the track operations. Jag would want to have a heritage centre, museum, new car handover building, hotel etc. for their purposes.

Two thoughts- first, would they be willing to continue hosting the loss making Grand Prix, and what would happen to the Porsche Experience Centre set up at Stowe?
Old 11 Dec 2015, 12:41 (Ref:3597064)   #30
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
It could move to Kyalami, as Porsche own it but I suspect that would be a bit far to bring British residents.