Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Jan 2017, 09:39 (Ref:3700482)   #46
steve_r
Veteran

England
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure why all of a sudden this is the leading story on the TV evening news. No decision made, and basically they seem to have been mulling this over for the last year or two.

Sadly if Silverstone do decide that F1 is not feasible, the options for a British Gp would seem to be limited:-

Circuit of Wales - which frankly I doubt will ever be built.
Donnington - Cant see this happening for reasons already being discussed.
Street circuit somewhere - Most street circuits are pretty dire, and the logistics of setting one up make this seem unlikely.
I dont think any other British tracks would meet the required standards for modern F1.

I expect some oil rich country with no motorsport history will be willing to step into the breach and host a GP with a nice shiny new tilkedome built in the ass end of nowhere that no spectators will ever visit.

Or maybe an energy drink company will buy silverstone??!! - energy drink companies seem to be taking over the motorsport world - although I dont know anyone who actually drinks the stuff. Perhaps Silverstone could be redeveloped so that the track resembles a big M, or the outline of a male cow.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 09:46 (Ref:3700483)   #47
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As an aside regarding Donington, what ever happened to that utter charlatan Gillett?

Where on earth did he end up?
Old 6 Jan 2017, 09:54 (Ref:3700485)   #48
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
As an aside regarding Donington, what ever happened to that utter charlatan Gillett?

Where on earth did he end up?

Under it?
Old 6 Jan 2017, 09:55 (Ref:3700486)   #49
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This has the potential to be a tricky one, putting BE aside for a moment, Liberty
won't want to lose the British GP (and I don't believe there is anywhere else to hold it than Silverstone), but will be equally minded that if they give any concessions to Silverstone on the hosting fee, they will have a long line of other circuits with their hand out for the same.

The bottom line is that in it's current form Silverstone can't afford to hold it, we can only presume that the deadline that Warwick set for 'selling' the circuit to an investor or getting a new investor has come and gone like many before them without a deal. To be honest the liability of the GP contract is probably the reason why deals fall over.

Probably their best option is to walk away from the GP contract and see if that gets any real response from Liberty who would then be under pressure themselves from teams/sponsors, the FIA to 'save' the British GP.

Poker time...
Old 6 Jan 2017, 10:15 (Ref:3700494)   #50
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Probably their best option is to walk away from the GP contract and see if that gets any real response from Liberty who would then be under pressure themselves from teams/sponsors, the FIA to 'save' the British GP.
Why do you believe that those you quote would be more exercised about the loss of Sillystone than say the demise of the German or French GPs? And how much "support" did they give Monza over it's own battle to remain on the calendar.

If the teams, for example, can get more money from FOM if they race at, let's say Dubai, than they can do if they go to Northamptonshire, then they will quickly find that it's to their advantage.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3700499)   #51
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A lot of the problems that F1 has have been festering in the background under CVC's ownership. It will be interesting to see how new owners Liberty deal with the situation assuming they stabilize the various financial problems that are there Silverstone just being a visible example of them.
Silverstone could trigger the break clause and at the same time negotiate a new contract that will allow the GP become sustainable into the future.
As Moneyseeker says "Poker time"
Old 6 Jan 2017, 10:54 (Ref:3700504)   #52
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A number of people are assuming that Liberty will be taking over, and that that will be a good idea; I have my doubts.

They will have to borrow significant funds to effect this purchase, possibly up to 90% of the purchase price, and that is not a good place to start. In fact it reminds me of the German media company (EM Tv) that controlled FOM for a very limited time until their debts dragged it down, which led to the banks having to take control.

Apart from that, there are already three investigations in the pipeline over this takeover, the most serious threat being the one being initiated by the EU.

I think that it's far from being a done deal.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 11:14 (Ref:3700517)   #53
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
A number of people are assuming that Liberty will be taking over, and that that will be a good idea; I have my doubts.

They will have to borrow significant funds to effect this purchase, possibly up to 90% of the purchase price, and that is not a good place to start. In fact it reminds me of the German media company (EM Tv) that controlled FOM for a very limited time until their debts dragged it down, which led to the banks having to take control.

Apart from that, there are already three investigations in the pipeline over this takeover, the most serious threat being the one being initiated by the EU.

I think that it's far from being a done deal.
Sorry to contradict you Mike but I thought I'd read on Joe Saward's Blog (not a good time for him & his family at the moment) that the EU had said there were no reasons why the sale couldn't take place?
I'll check later & will post a link (even if I'm right or wrong!)
Old 6 Jan 2017, 11:20 (Ref:3700522)   #54
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
Joe Saward says...

Sorry, but I can't seem to be able to post a link to the specific post, but if you go to http://www.joeblogsf1.com/ and scroll down to December 18th you'll find a post entitled 'Liberty gets the all-clear'.
(This may not be true, but I've generally found Joe to be reliable).
Old 6 Jan 2017, 11:45 (Ref:3700525)   #55
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Only seems to be Saward reporting it, as far as I can see. However, there is also the formal complaint from Sauber and Force India that also impacts on the sale that has to be resolved, and that investigation is very much alive, even according to Mr Ecclestone.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 11:52 (Ref:3700526)   #56
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
It seems like Silverstone is seriously looking at activating the break clause in its GP contract because of the escalator clause in the contract. It needs to be done before this years race to take effect in 2019.
Bernie claims to have 2 others circuits willing to run a British GP, question is where and paid for by whom? If a race with a race day attendance of over 100,000 and the one the highest ticket prices out there cannot make money from a GP who can?

Over to you at Liberty Media.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/si...n-2017-863265/
Run it at Rockingham. Quite a fitting venue as its utterly soulless like F1 is. I'd rather them take a butchers knife to that place rather than destroying one of our great, historic UK venues.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 14:39 (Ref:3700573)   #57
steve_r
Veteran

England
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The infield circuit at Rockingham suits BTCC, but would not be any good for F1.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 15:08 (Ref:3700585)   #58
old man
Subscriber
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With "The Home of Motorsport" causing worries and Manor in admin it may concentrate minds at Liberty.

Did they not raise a heap of money in December on the strength of the deal?
Old 6 Jan 2017, 16:08 (Ref:3700607)   #59
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
admittedly i have my doubts as well. certainly i am hopeful that the change will be a positive one but as is often the case, the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

at the end of the day Liberty is a media company. they want people watching the races on their TVs, computers, mobile devices so they may not care where the races are held as the audience they are looking to get at is at home and not at any given race track.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 16:08 (Ref:3700608)   #60
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
We seem to have this Silverstone to loss GP story so often now that no one takes much notice, perhaps if they did not cry wolf so often people would actually take notice