Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 21 Apr 2015, 01:31 (Ref:3529530)   #1
wnut
Veteran

wnut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwnut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwnut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwnut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brilliant Features in my Road Car!

Thread for surprising even banal features which have surprised you in your car which are useful in your daily life, or possibly features that you actually bought your car for!

My Golf GTi has a series of flat hooks installed along the back of the back seat which are really handy for hanging shopping bags from and can additionally be used to thread a strap through to secure something in the boot. Could be a little wider and a little higher but really useful nevertheless!
Old 21 Apr 2015, 01:55 (Ref:3529537)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Designed to strap the new gearbox in the back when you need to go get another one?
Old 21 Apr 2015, 08:57 (Ref:3529624)   #3
wnut
Veteran

wnut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwnut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwnut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwnut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Designed to strap the new gearbox in the back when you need to go get another one?
Oh so you know about Golf gearboxes!
Old 21 Apr 2015, 19:06 (Ref:3529791)   #4
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Heated steering wheel. Sounds stupid, but don't knock it til you try it. And don't try it if you can't get it. There is no going back.
Old 21 Apr 2015, 22:52 (Ref:3529850)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridScotsBrutesFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridScotsBrutesFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridScotsBrutesFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Heated steering wheel. Sounds stupid, but don't knock it til you try it. And don't try it if you can't get it. There is no going back.
Wouldn't have thought it'd be cold enough in Georgia to need heated anything in a car, let alone a steering wheel.
Old 26 Apr 2015, 20:51 (Ref:3531022)   #6
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
Espoo
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Civic has a cup holder also for the left hand. The right hand is too busy with the gear lever.
Old 26 Apr 2015, 21:21 (Ref:3531026)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Oh so you know about Golf gearboxes!
And electronics, and steering racks, and wiring looms... can anyone say Mechatronics without swearing?
Old 26 Apr 2015, 21:48 (Ref:3531036)   #8
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My car has this thing at the front that drinks petrol, makes noise and allows me to move.
Old 27 Apr 2015, 16:41 (Ref:3531216)   #9
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Wouldn't have thought it'd be cold enough in Georgia to need heated anything in a car, let alone a steering wheel.
Fair point, I guess it's a matter of perspective. It's currently 65F/18-19C and I'm wearing a jacket, so....

I just looked up your current temps and we see that kind of weather in late February. It gets cold here, just not for very long. That heating steering wheel is better than heated seats.
Old 27 Apr 2015, 23:49 (Ref:3531328)   #10
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
And electronics, and steering racks, and wiring looms... can anyone say Mechatronics without swearing?
I feel your pain GTR!

Another swear word Climatronic!

And I raise you CAN data bus technology! #@%$$#

Sorry couldn't help myself!
Old 27 Apr 2015, 23:52 (Ref:3531329)   #11
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Fair point, I guess it's a matter of perspective. It's currently 65F/18-19C and I'm wearing a jacket, so....

I just looked up your current temps and we see that kind of weather in late February. It gets cold here, just not for very long. That heating steering wheel is better than heated seats.
Now that's an interesting feature J, who would have thunk that a heated steering wheel would be an appreciated feature!
Worryingly thinking about it, it actually makes sense!
Old 28 Apr 2015, 09:45 (Ref:3531434)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there are three things on my car i struggle to survive without in hire cars and the like.

1. heated seats.
2. automatic windscreen wipers.
3. automatic headlights.

everything else i can take or leave. but the above items are non-negotiable.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 12:19 (Ref:3531477)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
For me its HID/LED headlamps... Amazing how much you miss them in other cars

Oh, and proper RHD indicator location (right hand side)
Old 28 Apr 2015, 18:34 (Ref:3531561)   #14
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
Espoo
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
1. heated seats.
For me this depends on upholstery material. I had a Chrysler Neon for couple of years and I never missed heated seats, even when temperatures were -20 C. But it had velour seats. Leather seats in that cold would'n be very comfy.

My current Civic has standard fabric seats and I used the heater in the winter every time it went below zero.
Old 28 Apr 2015, 23:43 (Ref:3531655)   #15
wnut
Veteran

The absolute essential to me is air conditioning!

Just about nothing else matters as long as the aircon is good!

The VW aircon however thinks it can take a vacation when the ambient temperature goes above 35 deg C, when do they think I want it most?