Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 25 Aug 2015, 10:07 (Ref:3568556)   #16
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E is going for a new lap record!Mike E is going for a new lap record!Mike E is going for a new lap record!Mike E is going for a new lap record!Mike E is going for a new lap record!Mike E is going for a new lap record!
This was terrible news to wake up to today. A talented driver and, by all accounts, a lovely bloke. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

I feel for Sage Karam as well. There is no blame here, but the kid must be feeling awful.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 10:47 (Ref:3568566)   #17
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrich07 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thoroughly shocked by his passing. Yes he was in a coma and in a critical condition but I had convinced myself-he's gonna make it, it's gonna be tough but he'll pull through. And then I checked my phone earlier today and I was stunned.

I remember him most from his F1 days with Minardi, that has burned into my mind. Shame it didn't get better for him in F1 but that was Americas gain and we were grateful to see him apply his talents over there. As many people have spoken of his on track skills many more have spoken of his friendly and approachable personality out of the car and this is a true measure of a man. I forgot who called him this 'badass with a heart of gold'.

RIP Justin
Old 25 Aug 2015, 10:50 (Ref:3568567)   #18
backfire
Rookie

backfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lovely bloke and not the ego centric type that's too common these days. Got to know him several years ago - everything that's been said in this sad thread is true.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 12:46 (Ref:3568585)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Really sad loss, although at least the family won't have the pain of him being kept in a coma like Bianchi. Still I hoped he would get through like Massa, Wendlinger, Brack and Hakkinen did.

I remember his lightning starts and his determination to get very far in Malaysia with the HANS device cutting his neck. Shame the five races at Jaguar didn't do him justice. I'm glad he had successful career in America in both series. Shame for it to end like this. I wish the best for his brother Stefan to keep the racing name proud
Old 25 Aug 2015, 19:13 (Ref:3568665)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in memory of justin, please consider registering on the organ donor database. he was a registered donor, and his untimely passing has allowed another 6 people a chance at life.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 20:26 (Ref:3568678)   #21
Adam43
Race Official
20KPINAL

European Union
The Road to Rouen
Adam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAdam43 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is very sad news. A top man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
in memory of justin, please consider registering on the organ donor database. he was a registered donor, and his untimely passing has allowed another 6 people a chance at life.

A fantastic thing to do. Good out of bad.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3568684)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I cannot say just how sad this makes me. A driver of the skill over money school who got to where he was by a combination of graft and talent, and with a humility and likeability that gained him the backing he needed to take the next step.

I met him several times over his career, as a youngster through the junior formulae, on the grid in his F3000 year, and for a long chat in the pitlane at Surfers' Paradise in 2005 when he took the time to be interested in how come a British marshal was working there and supporting him ("I'll try to beat the Aussie for you"). In all that time, he never changed and remained grounded, warm and friendly.

Such a tragedy to lose him, especially in such a pointless way. Sincerest condolences to all of his family and friends. RIP, Justin, you won't be forgotten.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 21:48 (Ref:3568700)   #23
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tragic news, a perfect gentleman who I had the pleasure of meeting twice.
Thoughts with his wife, family and brother Stef.
RIP big man
Old 26 Aug 2015, 05:57 (Ref:3568808)   #24
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been on the road, traveling for work. Found out this news sitting at a random Pub in Washington State, far from anything that's normal for me. It's still not fully hit me yet. Coming in stages, i guess.

I've been an organ donor for years. No one should take my eyes or my liver but I'd gladly give anything else useful.

Justin seemed to be more giving than I ever realized. This guy was so much more than a racing driver and as a father of two young ones, this is the one that breaks me down:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...0504762277.jpg

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 26 Aug 2015 at 06:03.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 01:38 (Ref:3569049)   #25
JHamilton
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJHamilton will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The stickers and t-shirts with Andy Blackmore's artwork are now available on Indycar.com: http://shop.ims.com/indycar/drivers/justin-wilson/

All proceeds go to his girls.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 02:08 (Ref:3569056)   #26
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far removed as I am from motorsport these days, I was incredibly shocked and saddened to learn of Justin's passing. I'll remember him as a quiet, selfless driver with an incredible kindness towards fans, team members and media. He was one of those drivers that made time for everyone whenever he could. He was incredibly talented, yet seemed to have bad luck in his timing with racing teams - indeed, he could have been a multiple-time champion if his timing had been better.

His organ donation will hopefully encourage others to fill out their donor cards - it certainly has me... something I'd always thought about doing, but never bothered to fill out the card. Justin will never be forgotten.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 28 Aug 2015, 14:52 (Ref:3569360)   #27
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought it might be good to put a link here in case any wish to contribute. As Andy and JHamilton mentioned, the stickers and T-shirts are also available at www.indycar.com.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2015/08/...bute-to-Wilson

Wilson Children’s Fund
c/o Forum Credit Union
PO Box 50738
Indianapolis, IN 46250-0738
Phone: (317) 558-6000

UK-based supporters can send cards and other condolences to the family to:

Keith Wilson c/o Lisa Davis
PalmerSport
The Old Post Office
Worthing Road
Southwater
West Sussex RH13 9EZ

Online donation options coming.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 14:57 (Ref:3569364)   #28
Mekola
Veteran

Ukraine
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP. Great driver and a great guy.
Old 28 Aug 2015, 15:03 (Ref:3569366)   #29
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was watching the race on the weekend and am as shocked as anyone else. Met Justin only once in person, at the trophy unveiling event in Toronto in 2013. It will come as no surprise to anyone that he was great to work with, truly wonderful with the fans at the meet-n-greet portion of the event, and willing to do the goofy "champagne" toast and tea-drinking poses with no complaints.

Justin Wilson leads a toast - Honda Indy Toronto 2013
by Richard Wintle, on Flickr

Laughing round the table with Justin Wilson - Toronto 2013

Tea on Bloor Street - Honda Indy Toronto 2013

Charlie, Justin, Jackie - William Ashley and the Honda Indy Toronto

The last time we saw him in Toronto was in 2014. Like many, I had been hoping for him to find a full time drive with one of the big three teams in 2016.

Justin Wilson pit stop - race #2, Toronto 2014

Wilson leads Power - Toronto 2014

Big props to Andy and IndyCar for sorting those commemorative/fundraising stickers and shirts so quickly.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 15:35 (Ref:3570253)   #30
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Updated Wilson Children's Fund donation info in case anyone missed it (online now available):

Online: http://justinwilson.co.uk/donate

Benefit merch from IndyCar site: http://shop.ims.com/indycar/drivers/justin-wilson/

Benefit merch from UK site (better shipping for European fans, more colours and clothing options than IndyCar site): http://www.petrolthreads.co.uk/justi...ibute-tee.html

Or this rather excellent tribute shirt: http://www.manifestgroup.com/justin-wilson-tribute-tee/

All those links plus information on other initiatives, auctions etc. courtesy of this nice round-up from Racer.com:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/12...-where-and-how