Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 29 Dec 2015, 13:28 (Ref:3600702)   #16
rubaru
Rookie

United States
rubaru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do we have a rule about posting more than one entry?
Old 30 Dec 2015, 00:38 (Ref:3600803)   #17
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6771639

pit lane uses Calle de Bolivar and Av. 20/11
Old 30 Dec 2015, 11:31 (Ref:3600935)   #18
Iceman13
Racer

Finland
Vantaa, Finland
Iceman13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2.8km and clockwise

Some wide avenues with slow corners for overtaking and a narrow fast sweeping section through the park. Pits are on the parking lot left of the main straight running south to west from the bottom hairpin. Minor roadworks might be needed, but nothing too drastic.
Attached Thumbnails
mexico ePrix.jpg  
Old 31 Dec 2015, 21:43 (Ref:3601287)   #19
Szisz
Rookie

Szisz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MY ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS
Not that I really have the motorsports knowledge to necessarily make an informed choice.

Rubaru
At 1.8 miles, your track is a good length for a Formula E circuit. It reminds me a little bit of an extra-twisty cross between Buenos Aires and Detroit. However, I think there may be just a few too many switchback-style corners (not necessarily hairpins, but similar to drive) for the lap to flow. So, on a personal level I'm not completely sold.

ScotsBrutesFan
This is a fast, flowing circuit that would be perfect for stock cars or fast open-wheelers. However, at a shade over two and a half miles it's pretty long for a Formula E circuit, especially at those slower, electric-powered speeds. I'm just not sure it would provide the overtaking and excitement of Buenos Aires or Punta del Este.

AoB Special Stage
This one looks a little bit like the Tempelhopf Airport circuit, which certainly isn't a criticism. It's nicely within the distance confines, and pretty much all the corners could have some run-off if you wanted them to. There are lots of overtaking opportunities, but also lots of slow hairpins, which aren't really to my taste as I've mentioned.

Iceman13
Again, there are lots of hairpins, but also lots of nice chicanes, most of which require a conscious left-right or right-left rather than just gunning it at the apex in a near-straight line and barely touching the brakes, and a fast flowing section. That handy pits area in the carpark is logistically very sensible, too.

THE WINNER
All of the tracks had aspects that I liked and others that I didn't, but for me the winner is Iceman13's circuit. It would be the easiest logistically, and combines several different elements to make a lap that flows and has variety. Therefore, I'd pick this one out as my winner.
Old 3 Jan 2016, 20:19 (Ref:3601893)   #20
Iceman13
Racer

Finland
Vantaa, Finland
Thanks Szisz for picking me as a winner! ...and sorry it took this long for me to reply. So here's the next challenge:

Kymi Ring is a 4.7km long motorsports facility being built near Kouvola, Finland. It has been designed to host every possible series, excluding F1. (they even have a preliminary contract for hosting MotoGP event in 2017)

However to me it looks like the layout is so tight and twisty for the most part that it would be a real pain to navigate with a heavy GT car for example. So your task is to make the track less mickey-mousey and more flowing and raceable with the following criteria:

-track lenght has to still be in the same region (about 4.5km minimum, but can be made longer)
-pits should stay in the same place
-the small tracks in the infield area can be moved, but they still should have space to be built (preferably in the infield)
-the less buildings need to be moved, the better
-integrating a rallycross track to the new design in a similiar way is a big plus, but not an absolute necessity

You have completely free hands in any other way, and I'm looking forwards to what you can cook up from this.
Attached Thumbnails
1218-Kymiring-master-plan-1400x800.jpg  
Old 4 Jan 2016, 01:31 (Ref:3601928)   #21
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
c. 4.75 km
Attached Thumbnails
Kymi Ring.jpg  
Old 5 Jan 2016, 12:45 (Ref:3602231)   #22
SKG
Racer

Wales
Mid-Wales
SKG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4.67km

The dirt tracks would have to be moved slightly, I wanted to simplify slightly, removing part of the original design, and moving to a fast outfield loop and finishing with a fast final corner.

I extended the pit straight slightly so I could merge the pitlane before the first corner Donington style.
Attached Thumbnails
plan.jpg   map.jpg  
Old 5 Jan 2016, 16:28 (Ref:3602290)   #23
rubaru
Rookie

United States
I took your recommendations of making the track less mickey-mouse and less twisty turny to accomdate the larger/heavier vehicles. Just basically straightened out some of the esses sections and hopefully allow the cars to go a little faster. The full course is in pink with the pit lane in red. Paddock areas are remaining in their original location. The rally track uses the main straight of the full course and then continues on the green circuit. I've also broken the full course into two smaller courses as shown by the shortcuts shown in light blue. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Kymi.JPG  
Old 5 Jan 2016, 22:17 (Ref:3602379)   #24
Szisz
Rookie

My crudely drawn attempt lays down three bits of tarmac: a higher-speed turn one which rewards brave driving; a long, left-handed sweeper to the north-west of the circuit, and a couple of medium-speed switchbacks to get onto the start-finish straight.

It also retains all the other track configurations, so as to keep the facility as versatile as possible.

It's the worst drawn attempt by far, but I want to go to bed and make no apologies.
Attached Thumbnails
Temp 2.png  
Old 5 Jan 2016, 23:28 (Ref:3602395)   #25
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the podium!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the podium!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the podium!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the podium!
Here's mine ...Sorry about the colours but not using my usual software for this.

First thing first
Reverse direction
New Circuit in Red with Short cuts creating separate circuits shown in Pink.
The South Eastern Short circuit forms the basis for the Rally Cross circuit highlighted in Blue.
The Darker blue being tarmac, the lighter Blue the gravel.
Notice the RallyX start is off the circuit allowing the next grids to be formed during races, this is done using the current long pitlane for access.
Attached Thumbnails
My Kymi.jpg  
Old 8 Jan 2016, 13:35 (Ref:3603067)   #26
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Winner?
Old 8 Jan 2016, 19:38 (Ref:3603186)   #27
Iceman13
Racer

Finland
Vantaa, Finland
I'm glad to see how diverse your entries have been. So here's a few words about each of them.

AoB: Effective job ironing out the unnecessary twists with fairly simple ideas. I feel like some corners could still use some opening up, but all in all very much what I was looking for.

SKG: Probably the most original effort of the bunch. Very drastic change whilst still retaining some character of the original. Looks like a blast to race on.

rubaru: This must be most like what I would have done to the track myself. Keeping the basic layout fairly intact, but smoothing out the worst bits. Pit lane solution and top most corners runoff do look quite hazardous though.

Szisz: For sure the most efficient design here. Overall flow would surely be vastly improved, but not too sure about if it helps to create better racing.

SBF: I really like the way you connected different parts of the original to create something that looks so very different. (can't say I'm surprised about the direction change ) This would indeed be easier to overtake on. Still I feel like it would have benefitted of having a fast corner somewhere.

Very hard decision to make, since I wish that I could take the best bits of every design and mash them together. This time I'll have to go with rubaru, because the overall concept is a very nice compromise of all the criteria I set. Just few tweaks to a couple of spots (mainly the area around the pit lane) and it would be my ideal Kymi Ring.
Old 11 Jan 2016, 13:28 (Ref:3603723)   #28
rubaru
Rookie

United States
Thanks for the win, Iceman13 ! And sorry about the delay getting back to the forum. Sometimes the weekend is the hardest time for me to get online. I completely understand what you mean about the pit lane, as I was struggling myself to find a way to get in there while retaining a reasonable amount of runoff heading into the final corner. I'm going to think a little on my next challenge for you and post something in about 3-4 hours.
Old 11 Jan 2016, 15:41 (Ref:3603754)   #29
rubaru
Rookie

United States
I'm a big fan of laying out street circuits, but this doesn't seem to be popular here. So, I'll take a stab at a road course.

After a 45-year break, the Canadian Grand Prix is returning to Mont Tremblant. How unfortunate it is, though, that the Riviere du Diable has decided to flood the eastern portion of the circuit. This blue line indicates what remains of the track:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6765683

Your task is to layout a new circuit, using as much of the original as possible, so that racing can continue at this location. Minimum length shall be 4.0km. The area eligible for your layout is shown within these boundaries:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6765686

You have a pretty healthy budget, considering all the insurance money you just got, but you don't have a lot of time for construction. Anything goes so long as the remaining track is incorporated into your design. I'll announce a winner at Noon EST on Thursday!
Old 11 Jan 2016, 20:16 (Ref:3603816)   #30
Szisz
Rookie

Unfortunately, I accidentally closed the GMap tab before saving the route, so I won't be able to link it in. Very sorry about that.