Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 7 Apr 2016, 00:39 (Ref:3630827)   #16
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Nascar Cup does 100 mph / 160 km/h average at Martinsville, which is a bit slower than Road America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
NBU38, really? Qualifying averages at Road America should be north of 140-mph.
I meant that Nascar Xfinity does 110 mph at Road America, sorry for my poor writing.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 00:58 (Ref:3630829)   #17
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
What's the deal with Three Rivers? (I'm not about to look up or attempt the French spelling).
www.gp3r.com

They have two weekends of racing:

o- August 5-7: FIA Rallycross, AMA Supermoto, Formula Drift Canada.
o- August 12-14: Nascar Canada, Canadian Touring Car Championship, IMSA Lites.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 01:38 (Ref:3630833)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!
Trois Rivieres has some definite complications, not least of which, it doesn't have any history, or at least not recent history, of large-displacement, open-wheel racing cars running the course.

It's at the short end of things to be considered for Indy Cars, at 1.521 miles. There would be real concern over the width of Turn 3 (Porte Duplessis). The pit lane, entry, and exit might be questioned for various reasons, like the width of the entry and exit and the tightness of the entry.

The front stretch isn't very long, making forming up the field for the start difficult, and also, the run to Turn 1 is quite short, so the field will still be rather tightly bunched for Turns 1, 2, and 3. Depending on the impact of the downforce these cars make, and the speed carried through Turn 7, on the approach to Turn 8, could be much higher than anticipated, and much quicker than what run-out there is was designed to provide for at Turn 8.

For reference, Trois Rivieres is about the same length as the 1998-2001 CART street circuit in Houston. Both have 10 or so recognized corners. However, the pole record at Houston was in the 93-mph bracket, and I'd guess GP3R (to use a known abbreviation) could well see a pole lap in the 105-mph bracket. Even so, the back straight at Houston was significantly longer than anything at the Quebec circuit.

There's a Trois Rivieres onboard lap video I've seen with a lower formula car; the Turn 3-5 stretch is 11 seconds on the throttle, Turn 5-7 is 9 seconds, and the front stretch (Turn 9, through 10, to Turn 1) is about 7.5 seconds. So, they will be even shorter, in duration, for an Indy Car to traverse.

I'd think the best overtaking point is Turn 5, followed by Turn 7 (depending on mid-corner speed), and then Turn 1, probably. The field is going to be spread out some coming off of T3 though, and you don't have much space after Turn 10 to set up for Turn 1. If T7 is too quick, there won't really be enough space/time to set up a pass into the Turn 8 hairpin. These cars don't get enough punch out of the corner to make it likely that you'd be able to throw one up the inside coming off of T8 and into Turn 9, and if you blow it there, you may eat the pit wall on the outside.

In short, Trois Rivieres is a nice little circuit, but I'm not sure it's the right place for Indy Cars to be whizzing around.
Old 7 Apr 2016, 01:56 (Ref:3630834)   #19
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Better than a football stadium parking lot, but thanks for the information and glad to hear the circuit is still active. More curious that if it was still in use.

-Mike Cooley, The Stroker Ace
Old 8 Apr 2016, 13:19 (Ref:3631184)   #20
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as possible expansions into additional markets are concerned, Portland looks indeed to be the only suitable track in the Pacific Northwest, as well as Montreal is the only other suitable track in Canada. The Fort Erie/Niagra Falls oval is still too far away from completion to consider it for next year.

However, if the F1 race at Port Imperial/New Jersey ever gets off the ground, IndyCar better be the support race on Saturday after qualifying because this way, the series can get exposure to both the NYC crowd and the international crowd which would be flying in for the race. And a great circuit it would be as well.
Old 12 Apr 2016, 00:36 (Ref:3631976)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
As far as possible expansions into additional markets are concerned, Portland looks indeed to be the only suitable track in the Pacific Northwest, as well as Montreal is the only other suitable track in Canada. The Fort Erie/Niagra Falls oval is still too far away from completion to consider it for next year.

However, if the F1 race at Port Imperial/New Jersey ever gets off the ground, IndyCar better be the support race on Saturday after qualifying because this way, the series can get exposure to both the NYC crowd and the international crowd which would be flying in for the race. And a great circuit it would be as well.
There hasn't been anything about the New Jersey GP for ages. Bernie seems more interested in having another GP in Vegas.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123541
Old 12 Apr 2016, 16:01 (Ref:3632114)   #22
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Has F1 ever allowed IndyCar (or its previous incarnations) to run as a support race? Legitimate question, I don't know the history. But it seems unlikely now, doesn't it?

Flip question - would IndyCar see this as a positive, being a support race? I agree the benefit to IndyCar could be immense, but I can't see them taking on that role, somehow.
Old 12 Apr 2016, 16:29 (Ref:3632123)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Has F1 ever allowed IndyCar (or its previous incarnations) to run as a support race? Legitimate question, I don't know the history. But it seems unlikely now, doesn't it?

Flip question - would IndyCar see this as a positive, being a support race? I agree the benefit to IndyCar could be immense, but I can't see them taking on that role, somehow.
Never and I doubt very much if Bernie would be happy with both series racing at the same venue on the same weekend.
Old 12 Apr 2016, 17:28 (Ref:3632133)   #24
HighParker
Rookie

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
... could be Vancouver, Calgary or Montreal...
A street race in Calgary is the only one I know of that's had any real discussion.
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...y-indycar-race
Old 13 Apr 2016, 08:42 (Ref:3632251)   #25
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post

It seems unlikely indeed that they go for being a support race, mainly because of ego. Yet, if they can jump over this shadow, my guess is Bernie would accept them because these cars would be slower around the course than his own F1 as Port Imperial is a street circuit.
I'd say this would be win-win for both parties involved and no loss of face would occur whatsoever. Hey, maybe even Honda could help building a bridge between both parties as they are involved in both series?

But for now, this is just as much a pipe dream as the whole "American GP" with the NYC skyline in the backdrop. I'd watch it on TV, though.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 15:51 (Ref:3632330)   #26
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Oklahoma is back in discussion
Old 13 Apr 2016, 17:02 (Ref:3632346)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
Quote:
It seems unlikely indeed that they go for being a support race, mainly because of ego. Yet, if they can jump over this shadow, my guess is Bernie would accept them because these cars would be slower around the course than his own F1 as Port Imperial is a street circuit.
I'd say this would be win-win for both parties involved and no loss of face would occur whatsoever. Hey, maybe even Honda could help building a bridge between both parties as they are involved in both series?

But for now, this is just as much a pipe dream as the whole "American GP" with the NYC skyline in the backdrop. I'd watch it on TV, though.
It's been a pipe dream of Bernie's for years but now he's finally got his 21 race calendar, I don't see it ever happening.

He tends to come up with new venues for GPs and the uses them as a bargaining chip, to extract more money from existing venues.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 17:32 (Ref:3632357)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
A proposed street race in Calgary and another proposed street race for Oklahoma. I really don't understand IndyCar sometimes.

A couple of weeks ago Roger Penske was interviewed and he suggested looking at the North West. Now I'm not saying Roger Penske is necessarily right but he's been around for decades; a lot longer than Mark Miles, so you would have thought he might have a bead as to what's going on.

Canada needs another race, so if it's another street race that's being considered, look at going back to Vancouver. As for Oklahoma is there a natural fan base? I would have thought it was too close to NASCAR territory.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 20:38 (Ref:3632422)   #29
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!Purist is going for a new lap record!
The Barber race (definitely in NASCAR country) does rather well.

Oklahoma City is at the intersection of Interstates 35 and 40, so for getting people there, that's a major help.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3632434)   #30
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Midwest has become NASCAR country as much as everywhere else is / isn't these days, if you follow me...

I often enjoy the street races more than most, but just don't see how cities make coin on these and how well it works for IndyCar. And I'd much rather them use tracks that were built for the specific purpose of motor racing and "road" racing over temp circuits.

That said, they should do two races at Long Beach! Kidding, just in case...

-Mike Cooley, The Stroker Ace