Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Dec 2016, 20:35 (Ref:3698179)   #26
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am please John that we are making a success of this idea of yours, and especially for you. I will leave identity and history to you.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_3746.jpg   _MG_3767.jpg   IMG_0204.jpg  

IMG_0362.JPG   IMG_0366.jpg   IMG_1369.jpg  

Old 24 Dec 2016, 09:04 (Ref:3698231)   #27
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bob, it's supposed to be favourite images of the season, not a positive torrent However some great cars there:-

1) Stephen Bond in Lister 'Flatiron' Bristol. It was particularly good to see him out with us after that appalling accident in the Lotus at the Goodwood Members meeting early in the year
2) Keith Hampson, in the Sunbeam Alpine Le Mans mentioned in my first post
3) Alex Quattlebaum in LECo2, currently the quickest of the XPAG Specials. Alex flies over regularly from the States to compete. He also owns LECo1 which he is rebuilding
4) Paul Ziller in the TR2. The TRs have been notable for their absence from FISCAR grids in the past, but this year, Paul and fellow TR2 racer, Mark Hoble, have ensured that we had two of them at every round which was superb to see.
5) Darren McWhirter in the V12 Lagonda (looking like a big DB3S) on his way to winning our first running of The Tom Cole Trophy at VSCC Spring Start.
6) Chris Mann in the fabulous Alfa Romeo Disco Volante which he drives to and from our meetings. At Castle Combe Autumn Classic he drove it down from London, ran in two wet races and then drove back on the same day. He did so on his own, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me pointing out that he is now in his 70s. A true old style enthusiast in the best possible way.

Bob, when I get around to my next favourite image, since they are freely given, thank you, I'm going to use one of your photos from the Bic Healey race.

Last edited by John Turner; 24 Dec 2016 at 11:37.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 24 Dec 2016, 14:57 (Ref:3698285)   #28
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another one from me - and another VSCC event!

This was taken at the club's Measham Rally in January - an overnight navigational event that for the last few years has been held in North Yorkshire. This one was taken prior to the start with the crew doing some last minute map reading / planning, resting on the bonnet of their Fiat 508S.

So not an action shot - I just liked the look of concentration, the lighting and the overall atmosphere.

Next month the 'Measham' is moving south into the Midlands based at Bruntingthorpe Proving Grounds.
Attached Thumbnails
VSCC Measham Rally 2016_0149_10Tenths.jpg  
Old 25 Dec 2016, 08:58 (Ref:3698394)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great shot, Gary but looks all too cold for me!

This is the promised Bauble shot. It's of the dice for the lead in the Bic Healey race, between Jonathan Abecassis in his Austin Healey 100/4 and Drew Cameron in the Speedwell Sprite (which had been built for Drew by his father, Allan, who we very sadly lost to cancer at the beginning of the year). The dice went on for lap after lap, and they were often side by side as shown here. Having watched racing now for at least 50 years, mainly historics, this race was as close as any I have witnessed over the years. Jonathan won it by just over a tenth of a second.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_3476SSBB.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 25 Dec 2016 at 09:03.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 25 Dec 2016, 10:34 (Ref:3698403)   #30
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well it is different.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9117.JPG  
Old 25 Dec 2016, 10:55 (Ref:3698405)   #31
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor show really - he's not even wearing an historic hat!
Old 25 Dec 2016, 23:27 (Ref:3698447)   #32
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it kinda comes into HRT as it's a HSCC championship. One heck of a pace lap when the SC is flat out and all I could see of the pole sitting car was his windscreen and roof. Definitely staying within five car lengths.
Attached Thumbnails
Gold Cup Oulton Park 2016.jpg  
Old 26 Dec 2016, 06:12 (Ref:3698475)   #33
Dougie
Rookie

United States
Pacific Northwest
Dougie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan Powell represents with his Big Healey at Road American, in Elkhart Wisconsin, USA.
Attached Thumbnails
RA -Dan Powell .jpg  
'57 100-SIX MM #414 G2
Old 26 Dec 2016, 06:40 (Ref:3698478)   #34
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Yeah, a tad too close I'd say, Ian.

Like the Union Flag on the Healey Headlamps, Dougie
Old 26 Dec 2016, 07:42 (Ref:3698484)   #35
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Back to the VSCC Spring Start and the superb grid of Pre and Post war Frazer Nashes put together by Patrick Blakeney-Edwards and Annabel Jones. Brilliant effort. Adam Smith's Pre war Super Sports and Martin Hunt's Le Mans Replica.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9213SSJT.jpg   IMG_9214SSJT.jpg  
Old 26 Dec 2016, 12:03 (Ref:3698516)   #36
bauble
Veteran

England
Oops! I got a picture of the same car John.

Oh! No I did not!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0066.jpg  
Old 27 Dec 2016, 02:34 (Ref:3698590)   #37
Dougie
Rookie

United States
Pacific Northwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
I don't know whether this appeals but feel free anyone to join in. One of my favourite pics for this year is one from very early on in the season, taken at VSCC Spring Start meeting. It features the Nash Healey that finished 3rd at Le Mans in 1952. The car is now owned by José M. Fernandez who very kindly entered it in the Tom Cole Trophy Race for Sam Stretton to drive. It hadn't been seen racing in the UK since 1951, and never before in its open 1952 form. A truly wonderful piece of history, it's outing generated even more enthusiasm from José to get it absolutely right so it is now having a lot of period correct detailing work undertaken and with any luck, we may see it out again in the latter half of next season.

In this photo Sam is seen talking to Paul Woolmer of Woolmer Classic Restoration (our main FISCAR sponsor providing our base and hospitality unit at our events). Behind is the lovely Sunbeam Alpine Le Mans of Keith Hampson which some of you may recall was later stolen but subsequently recovered intact. Every picture tells a story and this one tells several. I will dig out some more, but as I say, if anyone else wants to pick some of their favourite 2016 images, please do so.

Incidentally, I accept that some may have already seen this photo before but maybe not the story attached to it.
John -

Here's a nice historic photo of the same Hash Healey.
Attached Thumbnails
nashhealy.jpg  
'57 100-SIX MM #414 G2
Old 27 Dec 2016, 07:06 (Ref:3698604)   #38
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Dougie. The car spent a long time in the States after its Le Mans adventure and many have thought that it was always the pale metallic blue that it now is, but others think that at Le Mans it was actually a pale green - colour photos of the time are both incredibly rare and subject to chemical changes which have still not resolved that one.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 07:22 (Ref:3698605)   #39
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Rob Manson brought a couple of Specials from the States over to the UK to participate in a few races, hopefully a prelude to a bigger raid from a batch of these cars in a future season and here he is in the Baldwin Mercury Special in the Archie Scott Brown Trophy at HSCC, Snetterton meeting in early June. The second photo is of Paul Griffin's superb ex Archie Scott Brown Connaught ALSR in the same race.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0272SSJT.jpg   IMG_0306SSJT.jpg  
Old 27 Dec 2016, 07:26 (Ref:3698606)   #40
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Oops! I got a picture of the same car John.

Oh! No I did not!!
That's Tim Summers in his FN LMR, car no 73
Old 27 Dec 2016, 13:33 (Ref:3698639)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A few from the Woodcote Trophy - Silverstone Classic.

IMG_6827_Woodcote - 11 by Peter Mallett, on Flickr

IMG_6827_Woodcote - 13 by Peter Mallett, on Flickr

IMG_6827_Woodcote - 15 by Peter Mallett, on Flickr
Old 27 Dec 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3698670)   #42
bauble
Veteran

England
Click image for larger version

Name:	Healey_Nash_14_Le_Mans_1950_Rolt_-Hamilton.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	48838John, I found this picture of a model of the 1950 Le Mans Nash Healey, presumably the maker would have done his research on detail, and colour.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 16:40 (Ref:3698671)   #43
bauble
Veteran

England
As it is today;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0198.jpg   IMG_0272.jpg  
Old 28 Dec 2016, 03:55 (Ref:3698767)   #44
Dougie
Rookie

United States
Pacific Northwest
Chris Cox in the '62 Ferrari 250 GTO runs through the famous "Corkscrew" while holding off Michael Silverman in his '57 MGA during the Rolex Monterey
Motorsports Reunion at Laguna Seca Raceway.
Attached Thumbnails
RMMR 250 GTO & MGA Corkscrew 2016.jpg  
'57 100-SIX MM #414 G2
Old 28 Dec 2016, 08:44 (Ref:3698778)   #45
Robert Farrell
Racer

Robert Farrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC Race Spa 2016
Wishing everyone a successful and safe 2017
Attached Thumbnails
Spa 2016.jpg  
Old 28 Dec 2016, 13:31 (Ref:3698809)   #46
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Gordon's probably just getting stuck into his first beer...

How's this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lola MK5 FJ Pau 2016.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	48846.
When I posted the picture from 1985 I then realized that I did not have one from this year.Up until now.Over to you Alan.please.or Gordon.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 08:08 (Ref:3698934)   #47
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
A few from the Woodcote Trophy - Silverstone Classic.
Peter, cars from the 1950s; excellent choice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Attachment 48838John, I found this picture of a model of the 1950 Le Mans Nash Healey, presumably the maker would have done his research on detail, and colour.
You'd like to think so although the period photos suggest a lighter shade, and the number is incorrect if a representation of Le Mans configuration.

Last edited by John Turner; 29 Dec 2016 at 08:15.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 09:14 (Ref:3698941)   #48
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Also from the Woodcote Trophy race at the Silverstone Classic, and not the greatest of shots but one I want to include since it shows the stark contrast between two cars not only built in the same year (1955) but by the same manufacturer! The Lotus 6 FWA of John Cleland (not the ex BTCC JC!) and Malcolm Paul's very futuristic looking (at the time!) Lotus Mk10 Bristol. An interesting juxtaposition is the fact that the FWA in the 6 was a more modern engine than the Bristol, and went on to power the ubiquitous Lotus Eleven and many other small sports racers of the period. It took a lot of effort from Mike Anthony, who commissioned the car, to persuade Colin Chapman to build the Mk 10, but what a wonderful piece of machinery:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2183SSJT.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 29 Dec 2016 at 09:23.
Old 29 Dec 2016, 09:36 (Ref:3698944)   #49
bauble
Veteran

England
John, My research shows that the 1950 Le Mans Nash Healey was number 14 as shown on the model. Am I confused (as always)?
Old 29 Dec 2016, 09:43 (Ref:3698946)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Peter, cars from the 1950s; excellent choice!!
And of course Delta is pedaling the XK.