Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 30 Jun 2003, 16:39 (Ref:647366)   #16
Ernie
Rookie

Ernie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Safety?

Are you allowed to overtake going into corners? I think that it's a good idea when this isn't allowed, at least in the Novice/Intermediate groups.

I've done a couple of bike trackdays where this is strictly forbidden and there were hardly any accidents, which is great. Other times I've done trackdays where it's everyone for themselves into each corner and people have gotten hurt or had their bikes damaged. There appears to be far more track stoppages due to the increased number accidents, which cuts down on track time.

Overtaking well before the corner, or on the way out of a corner is fine, it's just that now and again people get carried away blasting into corners on the inside line and the person in front cuts across, rightly so, for the apex and then the rider behind crashes into them. It seems to happen a lot in the Inters group.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Ernie; 30 Jun 2003 at 16:43.
Old 30 Jun 2003, 17:52 (Ref:647464)   #17
Adam43
Race Official
20KPINAL

European Union
The Road to Rouen
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ernie most (if not all) trackdays I've been to have had strict rules about overtaking like you describe. Some even rule out some of the shorter straights. For a track day with people of all abilities I think this is a good idea. In fact forget the abilities bit, for a trackday it is what it is all about. It's not about racing it's about playing with your car in a safe environment.
Old 3 Jul 2003, 12:54 (Ref:650852)   #18
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the Uk, most companies say that if you do overtake, you have to do it the left. Seeing that every track except Rockingham is clockwise, then it makes sense for the faster car go around the outside to be safe.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 09:53 (Ref:666071)   #19
AndreasNystrom
Rookie

AndreasNystrom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish we had these rules on the last trackday i was on.
You could see guys overtake on the inside in corners.. and the same ppl complained about ppl where to slow around the track.. I dont think they have anything todo near a racetrack at all.

Same guy almost rearended me in the corner, and started waving his fist to me, like it was my fault.. ah well..
Old 18 Sep 2003, 20:08 (Ref:723444)   #20
AlexF
Racer

United Kingdom
Newbury
AlexF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobson
No trackday company would let and uninsured driver/car near the track - too risky.

I don't think tax is a major issue, but obviously an MOT is essential.
Your normal road insurance in not vaild on a track... you can get policys that cover trackday use, but its rarly standard.

As for an MOT... I've never heard any being asked to show an MOT at an event.

Alex
Old 29 Dec 2003, 17:32 (Ref:822692)   #21
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just want to thank everyone for all this info. I plan to take part in some next year, and all this is a great help!!

Now, can anyone show me the racing line???
Old 30 Dec 2003, 10:37 (Ref:823461)   #22
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe Autosport do a track guide for club racers, including track details (racing line, braking points etc) of all tracks in the UK, and some foreign tracks.

Caan't remember the price at the moment, but a worthy investment.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 15:29 (Ref:825784)   #23
Instructor
Rookie

Instructor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys all good stuff on here...

As a professional ARDS Instructor it is great to see so many enthusiastic and grown-up attitudes to getting out on track and enjoying the 'skill' of driving.

We often meet too many who do think they are the next Shcumacher and will not listen.

I picked up a couple of points that I can add my three pennyworth to:
1. Helmets are compulsory on ALL track days, however unlike if you are going racing you do not have to have an MSA approved lid. Having said that, your head is NOT replacable! do not skimp on the purchase of a helmet. It could save your life!. Motorcyle helmets are fine for track days. Often they offer better visibility as the apperture on full face bike helmets is wider. Although if you are serious about your on track exploits, an adequate full face from Demon Tweeks or Grand Prix racewear will £170. Personally I prefer full face, especially if you are in open cars as they give more facial protection. Even in a closed car there is plenty that is hard if your chin, nose or teeth are in impact with it!

2. There is an official 'Circuit Guide' which is available from www.circuitdriver.com
Treat this as a 'guide' While it is well written and a good starting point, it is not necessarily the 'bible'. There is nothing better than experience.

3. Quite a few people are put off from taking part in track days because of the 'supposed' bad attitiude of fellow track users.
If a driver were behaving in the manner that was mentioned earlier on this thread (i.e. diving up the inside in corners and complaining about slower cars) on a day I was running. He would be talked to, warned of his attitude and if it persisted, told to go home.
ALL properly run track days these days WILL NOT COMPROMISE on safety and this in the view of most is absolutely correct. You should enjoy the day, learn something from it... and above all drive home in the car you drove to the circuit in.
(Assuming that was the one you used on circuit, as quite a few do trailer their cars these days!)

4. Track days are THE only way
(other than racing/testing for which you need a race licence)
that you can enjoy a performance car the way it should be driven.
I obviously will have a biassed opinion here, but I do strongly recommend either using the Instrucotrs provided or hire your own for the day. You will learn so much more, more quickly and more safely, with someone in the car who can point out the correct lines and techniques for fast, smooth and safe driving.

5. Single seaters on track days.
Some organisers will run a single seater/open wheeled session if there are enough cars. As these are becoming more popular I can see this becoming more commonplace. Obviously the etiquette has to be policed even more carefully as there will be an increased speed differential also the safety issue of interlocking open wheels can be a serious issue.

Anyway that's enough from me.
If you have not taken part in a track day.
DO IT!
You are bound to get hooked!
Better to say you have tried it, rather than I WISH I had tried it.

I can also guarantee that a Track Day, taken sensibly, will make you smoother, safer and faster on circuit...
and a safer driver on the public roads, by making you appreciate your limits and the cars limits.

SEE YOU IN MY MIRRORS :-)
Very best regs
Steve L
Old 5 Jan 2004, 13:54 (Ref:828385)   #24
PoloG4tracer
Rookie

PoloG4tracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very interesting reading but can someone please comfirm once and for all about the 'no insurance and tax' concerns?

Ive spoken to a few people who have track specific cars, and trailer them to and from the events, and all say they do not have any insurance or road tax for the vehicles. My trackday specific car is almost ready (just running the engine in) to go out onto a trackday, it'll be my first proper track day in years and the first in this car so I'll be purely a novice track driver. After speaking to people about what they do about insurance, I was going to follow them and run the car without insurance/tax but have an MOT at least. And the car is fully prepared to MSA common Safety regulations. So do we need insurance or not?
I was also wondering not about car insurance but personal insurance for the driver incase anything should happen -god forbid- touch wood etc? Do the trackday organisers have anything to offer on the day or is this something most poeple dont worry about or sort out for them selves?

Thanks
Paul

"Cos they're good, and come from an era where hitting ctrl+alt+delete doesn't get them back on track"
Old 5 Jan 2004, 17:00 (Ref:828567)   #25
Instructor
Rookie

ONCE AND FOR ALL...
Your track car does not need insurance.
Your track car does not need TAX.
Your track car does not need MOT.
(however it should be road/trackworthy) Would you want to drive something quickly if a wheel were likely to fall off!!?
I would not like to be behind you when it does..
hmm come to think of it..
I have been behind when wheels have fallen off.
1 x TVR Vixen wheel !!
1 x Bugati wheel !!

Your personal insurance is up to you.
Track days will not be covered in your life insurance unless you let them know specifically, then they take a view on the risk.

Best regs
Steve L
Old 5 Jan 2004, 19:42 (Ref:828736)   #26
PoloG4tracer
Rookie

PoloG4tracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for clearing it all up.

Im am now Learned!

"Cos they're good, and come from an era where hitting ctrl+alt+delete doesn't get them back on track"
Old 12 Jan 2004, 10:44 (Ref:835243)   #27
Instructor
Rookie

Now the (ex) Octagon circuits are a little more settled, the Track Day dates are starting to come through.
Let's hope more people take to the circuit for the fun and adrenalin that is circuit driving.

Most questions have been laid to rest here, but if anyone still has any worries about taking the plunge...
JUST ASK!

Happy Tracking

best regs
Steve L
Old 10 Apr 2004, 08:23 (Ref:935675)   #28
mmylonas
Rookie

mmylonas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Track Days - Laptimers

Is it forbidden to use laptimers at all track days? One of trh reasons for attending is to improve driving smoothness and track speed and I hoped to instal a data logger/laptimer so I could see where the instructor and my technique differed.

The problem with test (as opposed to track) days is that you can't have an instructor in the car with you so he can't see where you're going wrong.

Any suggestions?

Michael Mylonas
Old 10 Apr 2004, 12:34 (Ref:935782)   #29
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I'm not sure. Ring up the organiser and ask them.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 12:03 (Ref:937256)   #30
Instructor
Rookie

MOST definitely
it is FORBIDDEN to use any method of timing on track days.
It is not the organisers being unhelpful, it is because of the Public Liability insurance.

Each organiser has to have about £10 million cover.
This would be negated if it were proven that there was someone timing the driving.

I agree it is useful to see if the instruction has worked.
Timing is obviously the bottom line, but you know as a driver when you are improving. If a corner feels better by using the advice of instructor or your driving input feels better through advice then the times should just prove this.

I work with drivers in car on track days, then use corner critique and video footage on test days along with telemetry and lap times. This mix seems to work well.

Best regs
Steve L