Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 20 Jul 2007, 09:17 (Ref:1968152)   #16
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sixteen years... unbelievable. I know I'm a day early but I won't be able to do this tomorrow.
My memories of that day are still clear and strong, despite the passing years.
Still missed, God bless, mate.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1968332)   #17
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had the pleasure of meeting Paul a few times and remember the day vividly when the news filtered through at Brands. Great driver who would have gone on to much greater achievements and I believe would have given Mr Schumacher a challenge when he got to F1. A really pleasent person who had time for everyone.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:02 (Ref:1968568)   #18
metswinagain
Rookie

metswinagain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will always remember with great fondness seeing Paul and Derek watching practice at the 1991 Grand Prix. I was marshalling at Luffield In when they both came down and watched an F1 session. Luffield was not a great attraction so they spent all of their time watching the cars through Bridge. Senna came through on a very hot lap and was clearly fighting the handling of his McClaren. Paul looked over to his brother and then took a couple of steps across to him before embracing him in a kind of 'wow, that was scary kind of way.'

Shocking to think that he was dead just days later. RIP.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1971053)   #19
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
R.I.P Paul

The fatal meeting was actually the first I ever attended, so it's something I think about quite a lot. All I remember is him coming through Lodge in the lead each lap, and then not coming round at all. A tragic end to a bright career.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 10:38 (Ref:2044409)   #20
Parky001
Rookie

Parky001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was also one of those stood on the wall on the outside of that corner with both Derek, Paul and a reporter. I went to school with Paul and he was to most gentle guy you could have met. We had some great laughs through the years no more than on the trip to Silverstone that day. We stopped in a motorway services for breakfast and Paul being Paul he somehow dropped brown sauce in his lap. So off he trots to the loo removes his trousers washes them off as best he could, then stands there trying to dry them with paper. The ribbing we all gave him with scenarios of meeting Sir Frank Williams and Paul trying to hide the brown stain on the front of his trousers.

The real reason he put his arm around Derek then moved back that day was if you remember there was a gravel trap just in front of the wall. Pauls’ words that day was “I want to keep me good looks lets move”.

He’s sadly missed by anybody who had met Paul through his short life.
Old 5 Dec 2007, 13:01 (Ref:2082135)   #21
Nev Cooper
Rookie

Nev Cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately my memories of Paul were after his fateful accident. I clearly remember watching a tribute to Paul on TV quite a few years ago. (I'm not sure how long it was after his fateful season.)

I often wonder how far his talents would have taken him and was convinced from the tribute that he was a truly exceptional talent. I'm glad that I found this forum to express my thoughts
Old 8 Dec 2007, 18:29 (Ref:2084489)   #22
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev Cooper
Unfortunately my memories of Paul were after his fateful accident. I clearly remember watching a tribute to Paul on TV quite a few years ago. (I'm not sure how long it was after his fateful season.)

I often wonder how far his talents would have taken him and was convinced from the tribute that he was a truly exceptional talent. I'm glad that I found this forum to express my thoughts
The tribute programme made the point of stating that no video footage was captured of the accident, this was incorrect as two video cameras captured it and the tapes confiscated for police/coroners investigation. I had the misfortune of seeing the footage it is not on the net and as far as i'm aware there's no copies.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2130255)   #23
gazzalnt
Rookie

United Kingdom
leeds west yorkshire
gazzalnt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rip

i remember the day well.i was there watching my close mate richard dean.it was horrible and tagic i will never forget it such a good tallent he would have got to f1 no doubt.richard was very upset and considered quitting racing.richard was asked by mansell madgwick racing to drive the rest of the season in memory of paul.he accepted but the powers of super power racing wouldnt let him for reasons i cannot say.its nice to see people remembering ive only just joined ten tenghs so get intouch if yuo want to
Old 29 Jan 2009, 08:11 (Ref:2381921)   #24
Vicky B
Rookie

Vicky B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today would have been Paul's 40th birthday!!!

RIP Paul, gone but never forgotten. x
Old 29 Jan 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2382216)   #25
teammoda
Racer

teammoda has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tragic loss and a major talent destined for F1.Would I be right in thinking that Paul not only won the race but also the british F3000 championship with that race even though he crashed.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2382338)   #26
Vicky B
Rookie

Vicky B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did indeed win the championship posthumously. In the 5 races he contested that season he had 5 poles and 5 wins.
Old 15 Mar 2009, 11:18 (Ref:2415944)   #27
nycuk
Veteran

England
I recall that by the final race of the season Julian Westwood was in a position to win the championship, but deliberately conceded a position at the race finish so as not to beat Paul's points tally, thus ensuring him a posthumous championship. Nice gesture.
Old 16 Mar 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2416690)   #28
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk View Post
I recall that by the final race of the season Julian Westwood was in a position to win the championship, but deliberately conceded a position at the race finish so as not to beat Paul's points tally, thus ensuring him a posthumous championship. Nice gesture.
This is not accurate it was Swedish driver Fredrik Ekblom who could have taken the title from Paul at Donington however he could only finish 4th. There wasn't any conceding any places etc it was won fair and square by Paul.
Old 26 Mar 2009, 08:48 (Ref:2425106)   #29
Matt Speakman
Rookie

Matt Speakman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Derry Warwick

Pauls father Derry passed away on the 15th; back with his son Paul and wife Bea a good time must be going on up there

Yesterday was Derrys funeral; a wonderful ceremony to send off a Family man, a Friend, and a Gentleman.

RIP
Old 29 Apr 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2452290)   #30
nycuk
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
This is not accurate it was Swedish driver Fredrik Ekblom who could have taken the title from Paul at Donington however he could only finish 4th. There wasn't any conceding any places etc it was won fair and square by Paul.
Thundersports, of course you're completely correct. The hazards of relying on memory alone...